Live Linux Distrubutions

Thread: Live Linux Distrubutions

Question Live Linux Distrubutions

I Acedently Found Knoppix. A Boot from CD Linux I was wondering are there any other distubutions like this and which ones are the best?

SuSE has a live CD available, it's pretty decent.
    As far as your concerned, I'm a 45 year old virgin chinaman that lives in his mom's basement, let's keep it that way, eh?

http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd

I don't know which one is the best, but I guess it depends on your needs
    #justlinux irc.freenode.net

Knoppix, Morphix and SuSE Live Eval. are the most used. Also, there are *small* LiveCD distros such as DamnSmallLinux which is only 50mb. It all depends on what do you want.

Check the link jlmb gave you.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

There are many variations of Knoppix. I made one myself. I removed most of the games and some of the language support, gutted the WM's to just KDE, fluxbox, icewm, and twm. I added burn-in and distributed computing applications like:
    folding@home
    seti@home
    prime-net
    memtest
    cpuburn
    lucifer

I also added some network security and filesystem tools, and scripts which download and install a windows virus scanner and the latest virus definitions in ramdisk. It's great for crash recovery and system testing.

Overclockix

Knoppix variants like this are an easy way to install Debian.
    Last edited by arkaine23; 08-19-2003 at 02:24 PM.
    100Ghz folding@home
    *nix Sysadmin
    Developer of Overclockix Live CD distribution
    Yoper Dev Team member

Most Live CDs are based on Knoppix on some way; here's a comprehensive list:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...Customizations

I'd go for Morphix because it's customizable, it has a cool graphical bootup and it has a Matrix-style LILO screen

Originally posted by o0zi
    Most Live CDs are based on Knoppix on some way
    There are some interesting ones not based on Knoppix. For example, there is a Slackware Live CD, obviously based on Slackware. And a just released AMLUG Live is based on Arch Linux, an excellent distro in its own right. AMLUG Live can be found at http://www.amlug.org, I can't remember the address for Slackware Live but I think it is listed somewhere on Distrowatch.

slackware has 2 live cd versions. One is made by the slack team itself, and the other is a third party one and can be found in freshmeat (and it can fit on a mini-cd, so it's very good )

Just updated the iso. Overclockix is also on that list of knoppix remasters. Its got about everything that knoppix STD does plus the things I mentioned earlier. Will post a screenshot later..... or maybe I should just make a small webpage about it.
    100Ghz folding@home
    *nix Sysadmin
    Developer of Overclockix Live CD distribution
    Yoper Dev Team member