ICS problem, i have tried to fix this for months, but still can't fix it. oh my god.

Thread: ICS problem, i have tried to fix this for months, but still can't fix it. oh my god.

ICS problem, i have tried to fix this for months, but still can't fix it. oh my god.

hi. i am new to linux, i am using redhat linux 8.0.
    i go to the following link and follow direction, but this article seems a bit old.
    http://justlinux.com/nhf/Networks/Ea...t_Sharing.html
    i have 3 PC at home and build a small network, 1 is XP, other 1 is win98, and my PC is red hat 8.0. i want to use 57kb modem to dial up to connect to the internet in linux system and share internet connection with XP, so, i just forget about window98.
    I don't have a domain name.
    each PC has only 1 NIC card.
    what other things i need?
    should i use static ip or Dynamic IP by setting up DHCP server(complicate)???
    the above link talk about ipchains, but it's not exist in redhat8.0 with kernel 2.4.

can anyone guide me to set up ICS plz.........????
    ---------------------------------------------------
    + I am a linux newbie. hehehe :'D - - +
    + nice to meet you. (o"o) o^-^o >.< +
    + (o"O) T.T ^p^ =.= -.- :'O = = (cute) +

Just make sure the computers are connected together and use the program Firestarter to set up the ICS part.

You don't have to use dhcp for the other computers but I do to make sure they all get the right ( or wrong ) information.

If you want to set up the iptables manually, check the How I did it section.

hi. homey thank your reply, i appreciate o^-^o

i ping other computer, and there's no problem to ping 192.168.0.3 from 192.168.0.2. 192.168.0.1 is gateway
    --> i never heard about "firestarter" , i go check for it now :")
    thank you . homey

there's another weird problem, when i set up a static IP for "my linux, IP 192.168.0.2 and gateway 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 ", and i set my other "XP computer IP 192.168.0.3, of course, subnet is same, and gateway 192.168.0.1"
    Unfortuenly, after i set up my computer to gateway 192.168.0.1 then i use dial up connection trying to connect to the internet, and the INTERNET IS NOT WORKING. THEN i REMOVE the gateway 192.168.0.1. and reconnect, ""now the internet is working"". so weird. my networking knowledge is no good although i major in COMPUTER NETWORK ADMINISTRATTION. I am a STUDENT anyway and still have many things to learn. i am taking linux class which is hard =.= in school, >_<~ hahhahaa

i heard linux is good system which can compete with windows network system, so, i have started to use it 3 months ago.

Originally posted by homey
    Just make sure the computers are connected together and use the program Firestarter to set up the ICS part.

You don't have to use dhcp for the other computers but I do to make sure they all get the right ( or wrong ) information.

If you want to set up the iptables manually, check the How I did it section.

anyone know why use 2 gateway?
    1 is provide by ISP, other 1 is 192.168.0.1 for my linux system, and ip is 192.168.0.2 <--
    from my case above, 192.168.0.3(XP) connect to internet should implement to my ip 192.168.0.2 as gateway. what's 192.168.0.1 for??? @_@~~

You put the gateway in.... don't, the computer that is doing the dialup IS the gateway......

If the dialup machine's lan address is .2 then the other machines should use .2 as the gateway.....

there's another weird problem, when i set up a static IP for "my linux, IP 192.168.0.2 and gateway 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 ", and i set my other "XP computer IP 192.168.0.3, of course, subnet is same, and gateway 192.168.0.1"
    search first, ask second.
    gui tool? what is a gui tool?
    I want my 5 stars back.....

jumpedintothefire, thank your reply
    your reply is clear and good explanation.
    ^^>>