How to set up domain/workgroup name?

Thread: How to set up domain/workgroup name?

How to set up domain/workgroup name?

I need some clairification as to what my domian should be set to on my linux computers, and what my workgroup should be set to on my windows computers.

I have a linksys router that does DHCP to the windows machines, and static IP's assigned to the linux boxes.

I have a domain name registered say mydomain.net, but I have a cable modem, and it is not a static IP, so I am using a dyndns to give me mydomain.dyndns.net. I am going to eventually get the mydomain.net to point to dyndns so that I can get rid of the dyndns part of the name. The windows workgroup was orriginaly called matrix. I am not running a DNS server, I am useing host files for now. Now what do I call everything.

veggie2u

If you're just worried about networking in your LAN, you can just use the default WORKGROUP name for the workgroup. Both your Linux boxes and your Windows machines should be in the workgroup in order to share files.

But for the domain in Linux, you often don't need one. Again, if you're just concerned about LAN networking, either give it no domain name, or if it insists on having one, just say your domain is localdomain.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

You can just make sumthing up like localnetwork.lan and it would work. Just add a record to /etc/hosts like

192.168.1.50 mybox mybox.localnetwork.lan

If I don't really have a domain name, what will happen with apache if I am trying to serve pages from a machine inside my firewall, with users entering a full domain name, such as www.mydoman.net. I am not useing my own domain name server inside the firewall, so I am using a hosts file in each one. If I do have a domain name, but not a DNS server, windows doesn't care? And for linux I can use a workgroup? I thought I needed the workgroup name and the domain name to be the same for samba to work? If they are not, how would I get the linux and win boxes to see each other in samba?

ok. regarding apache, just tell it to use your "fake" dyndns domain name - this is set up in the httpd.conf file.

(i do exactly that for my home webmail access.)
    Code:
    ServerName www.mydomain.net
    i think you are getting confused with workgroups, domains, and windows domains.

domain names on the internet are different than windows nt domians.

microsoft originally wrote NT and the NetBIOS protocol to replace the internet's DNS naming system with their own Microsoft proprietary solution (gee what a surprise). well, it did not work.

so anyway, an NT domain name has nothing to do with internet DNS - except from Win 2000 on, they kid of blurred the line a bit but it still is basically unrelated. Microsoft Win NT domains are (mostly) for centralized logins and security.

a workgroup is just a NetBIOS way to group a set of computers without having a full blown Win NT domain - i.e. no centralized security databse, etc.

Internet DNS (domains) is just for mapping hierarchical names to ip addresses.

anyway - i hope that made it a bit less confusing.
    Last edited by Hayl; 06-18-2003 at 10:25 AM.