Lilo and Windows XP

Thread: Lilo and Windows XP

Dualbooting WinXP/Linux with Lilo

I recently installed Slackware 9.0 and I'd like to dual boot it and windows xp. My situation is fairly complex (well, atleast it seems that way ) so I'm going to say exactly what I've done.

-I have two hard drives. Before I installed slackware 9.0, I had Win98 on the first drive and WinXP on the second.

-WinXP was installed second (I haven't a clue where the bootloader was placed. Maybe on the first drive?).

-When I installed slackware, I used cfdisk to delete the partition win98 was on and I created a swap partition and a Linux partition and I installed the bootloader in the first sector of the linux partion (don't know if this is right or not, all I know is that I chose not to install the bootloader in the MBR).

-I noticed that windows didn't show up in the lilo boot menu so I tried to use liloconfig to add it (delete the old lilo.conf, then add both linux and windows to the new). Here's what my windows entry looks like in lilo.conf:

other = /dev/hdb1
    label = Windows
    #map-drive = 0x80
    # to = 0x81
    #map-drive = 0x81
    # to = 0x80
    table = /dev/hdb

-The windows entry shows up in the lilo boot menu but when I select it, I get the message that "Windows is loading" (or whatever) but nothing actually happens.

I've had this problem before and never figured it out. If I'm leaving anything out tell me and I'll do my best to add it in.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by comreak; 06-17-2003 at 03:06 PM.

Well I have a triple boot with XP,debian,and redhat..

I have it setup as follows:
    ..ntldr boots up with three choices above. If you choose debian lilo starts with the option to still boot WinXP... The entry is simply,
    other=/dev/hda5
    label=WinXP

Obviously you have to change hda5 to the applicable partition..

did you try reinstalling ntldr to the MBR?? It might be easier than using lilo and XP might not be as picky... It used to be fdisk /mbr but for xp im not sure how.. I believe that there is a "fixmbr" in the recovery console when you boot with the XP CD....
    Last edited by chrisP; 06-17-2003 at 11:03 PM.

Originally posted by chrisP

did you try reinstalling ntldr to the MBR?? It used to be fdisk /mbr but for xp im not sure how.. [/B]
    It's now 'fixmbr' from the XP Repair menu.

hey thanks Jronski... You beat me too it.. I was looking for that on google, when I got back you had already posted it, impressive...

No problem. I got to use it a couple of times last weekend.