GRUB Error 23 on boot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRUB Error 23 on boot

GRUB Error 23 on boot

I have recently completed a fresh install of SuSE 8.2 Pro. On boot I receive this error message:

Kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=nil splash=silent splash=silent
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x120452]

Error 23: Error while parsing number

Press any key to continue…

I checked the device map and that seems ok. The system will boot off of the CD just not off the hard disk. Any ideas?

It sounds like grub is having a problem with the grub.conf file
    That part about vga=nil seems strange. Maybe you could change it to something like this.....

root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz- Some Numbers Here ro root=/dev/hda2
    initrd /boot/initrd- Some Numbers Here .img

Change the Some Numbers Here part to the Kernel version. You can get that by typing uname -r

"I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

when trying to add the kernal version, I get Error 15: file not found

I have browsed through that GRUB users manual and have not been able to locate a specific solution.

any other suggestions?--i really want to get linux up and running.

Have a look in the /boot directory and see how vmlinuz looks. Sometimes you can leave the numbers out.

The "kernel" and "initrd" (if you have an initrd image) names specified in grub's configuration file must exactly match those of the actual kernel and initrd image filenames in /boot. If a "vmlinuz" symlink to the actual kernel image exists, then you can also use "vmlinuz" as the kernel name.

-Tell us specifically how your drive is partitioned, including what filesystems/directories live on what partitions. The syntax of entries in grub's config file varies depending on whether or not /boot is on it's own separate partition.

-Boot from CD to at least get into the system; post the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.conf file (the file is /boot/grub/menu.lst in some distros).

1) hda1 is my Linux Swap
    hda2 is my only other partition which includes the /boot dir.

2) the menu.lst file...

color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
    timeout 8

title linux
    kernel (hdo,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=nil splash=silent showopts
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

title floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1

title failsafe
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda2 showopts ide=noma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal
    nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.shipped

Cool Been there,done that

It is extremely likely that your GRUB code is corrupted for some reason. Here's a quick fix of sorts to run Linux:
    Boot from the Suse install CD
    Choose the Installation option
    The installer will find out you have already installed a system and ask you what to do with it.Choose the option : Boot from the old system
    Give the root password.You will boot with minimal access and no X-server.The root directory will be mounted read only.Type the mount command you will see in your screen to make it read/write.
    type yast2
    you will start yast under text mode.Install Lilo if you haven't already.go to system option.Choose replace Grub with lilo,make a fresh installation file(automatically) and cross your fingers!
    alternatively run the update option from yast and choose to update nothing.your boot loader should be reconfigured along.
    hope that helps
    Last edited by TallGuy; 06-16-2003 at 11:36 AM.

Originally posted by osiris06
    kernel (hdo,1)/boot/vmlinuz
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
    And you've verified that "vmlinuz" and "initrd" are the exact filenames of the kernel and ramdisk images in /boot?

(I'm assuming that the lowercase "o" in the kernel's (hdo,1) entry is just a typo, right?)

1) those are the exact filenames in /boot

2) and yes, that was a typo.

perhaps it has something to do with the...

portion of the error?
    Last edited by osiris06; 06-16-2003 at 05:40 PM.

Re: Been there,done that

alternatively run the update option from yast and choose to update nothing.your boot loader should be reconfigured along.
    hope that helps
    I attempted an update through YaST aswell. That did not seem to work either....

Error 23 indicates that Grub encountered data corruption somewhere in the boot process. If that's really the case, and since this is a fresh installation, you might want to just start again from scratch.
    As far as:
    Code:
    I'm pretty certain that is a normal message indicating that the kernel image (bzimage) has been loaded into memeory.

There is also the possibility (although perhaps slight) that your BIOS has something to do with the problem. There are known to be buggy and/or non-standard BIOSes out there, and I've seen at least one instance where a user couldn't boot after performing a flash upgrade to their BIOS; in that instance Grub froze at exactly the same place as your system. I've also seen instances where a BIOS upgrade has fixed similar boot problems.

A question

Have you been holding out on us? It's definetely a corrupt GRUB that's making all the trouble and you should either re-install it or switch to LILO. All the editing in the world of config files won't help if your binary is corrupt. But that is NOT supposed to happen. Have you tried to create a new partition or change sth through Windoze if you are running dual-boot? GRUB doesn't go kamikaze for no good reason unless your HD is really screwed up

As I type this, I am attempting a reinstall on the Linux box.

The PC I am putting Linux on is brand new. I just finished building it last week. I put Winblows on it to make sure all the hardware works...it was fine. It is a single boot, 1 hard drive and 1 OS.

If a reinstall does not work I will attempt to update the BIOS. However, I checked the version and there has only been 1 new release since the one I currently use. If that does not work, I will attempt to switch to LILO.

I will continue to post results.

a reinstall did not fix the problem...

attempting next option.