**OLD/LOCKED***"What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: **OLD/LOCKED***"What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread

if you're talking small, it's gotta be twm... but with your machine, icewm or blackbox won't be much of a burden...
    I never thought that computing would be a lot more interesting -- then Linux came along...

Window manager: xfwm
    Desktop environment: xfce

This is what I like and use.

twm was also cool (the easiest way of configuring I've ever encountered: man page on one console and a text editor on the second. No need of clicking )

Difference between X, a window, and a desktop manager.

Well, as the title says.. im confused.

if im getting it right.. X is the "Graphics server" for linux. in newbie terms: "The thingie that makes linux able to draw nice colors and windows"

A window manager would be the thingie that draws the windows, and a desktop manager would be a complete graphical desktop solution?

correct me if im wrong (wich i think i am very much) please!

thanks
    br0wni3
    Your friendly neighbor,
    br0wni3

My signature was way too damn big. Fresh start.

You pretty much have it there. If you do "man X" you get a pretty full description on what X is.

man pages are ugly and unfriendly...

i love NHFs instead. but of course, if theres no other way around it.. what the hell, ill just man it

thanks for the reply!
    Your friendly neighbor,
    br0wni3

My signature was way too damn big. Fresh start.

Window Mgrs...Desktop Mgrs...what gives?

I am not quite sure I know the difference between a Window Manager and a Desktop Manager so let me run this by ya.
    Window Mrg - give the overall look and feel of the windows/menu/icons.
    Desktop Manager - provides deeper interface like tool bar, "shortcuts" *eeewww msoft word...* etc.
    If the above is correct, what is a good desktop to run with WindowMaker that won't slow me down a whole lot. (Not crazy about KDE at this point). I was thinking GNOME.
    What do you all do?

Thanx

The three desktops for Linux right now are KDE, GNOME, and Xfce. KDE has its own window manager, and while possible, it is a pain to get it to work with something else. GNOME works with most Window Managers, though it works best with Ice, E, or Sawfish. It will work with Windowmaker, but there might be annoying glitches.
    ...And one Desktop to bind them all, in Redmond where the shadows lie.

With Apologies to JRRT

Debian & Window Managers

ok, I'm about to try out Debian in a little bit... I am a little curious about one thing though; regarding Window managers, what comes in the 'potato' release (the 3 cds)?, what manager do YOU prefer to use (I don't care if this starts a flame war... I'll probably end up trying them all, but I want to see what's easiest to use...for now, while I get my bearings), and... I haven't actually got Debian up and running yet, so I feel I might as well ask... do I need to manually start X, or the window managers, or does it do it for me (like in Mandrake?...don't laugh)?
    "War is not about dying for your cause, it's making your enemies die for theirs."
    --General George Patton

Debian comes with nearly every window manager I can think of including but not limited to:
    blackbox (my fav), enlightenment, sawmill (now sawfish), icewm(small,fast, gnome-complient), windowmaker, fvwm, fvwm95,scwm, twm.

To get X to start automaticall download load either GDM, XDM, or KDM. XDM is the generic X default one. I like GDM and I run xfishtank & in the background.

Or to start from a command line type in startx
    Get my public gpg key

can someone provide a sort of description of these WMs?
    "War is not about dying for your cause, it's making your enemies die for theirs."
    --General George Patton

hrmmm... there's precious little documentation for Enlightenmenet, so I feel I should ask; does it act like KDE where it automatically symlinks files with programs according to their contents, among other things?, or is it just sort of a flashy window manager that pretty much leaves the user on his own, as in Gnome (which I'm learning to hate)?
    --General George Patton

Nope is nothing like KDE (too windows like) at all. I like it, it's almost like blackbox but flashier. I know I'm not doing it any justice but you can check out www.enlightenment.org to get more info.
    Scarlet: Oh Rhett!! I'm using Slackware now.
    Rhett: Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!!

Favorite Desktop Enviro and Window Manager

I'm a newbie and I was wondering if I could get a poll from everyone of the best Desktop Environment. I'm currently running Gnome, but I've heard good things about other WMs. So just which one is the best and why?

Also, what's the best window manager? And why?

XS411
    "Life resides between the hours of 10pm and 2am."

"Remember, it's not the size of you snippet that counts, it's how you use it."

The best one is the one that you like the most and prefer using. There really isn't a best window manager or desktop.

I don't use any desktop environment, myself, as I have no need for the extra features and don't want to spend the resources they require. I run the iceWM window manager all by itself and I like it very much. It is nice looking, simple and low on resource use. It does what I need it to do without getting in the way.

I have also used, and like, fvwm and Blackbox. But ice is my favorite and pretty much all that I use anymore.