Temporarily disable xscreensaver ?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temporarily disable xscreensaver ??

Originally posted by mdwatts
    Exactly as I posted above.
    Bah, I didn't read the wholeee thread!
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wdy85 View Post
    how do i disable xscreensaver temperarily? i want to watch a movie in mplayer and i keep getting interupted.
    I know this thread is old, but I searched google and this came up. Dor newcommers you might want to check for caffeine in your locale package manager (you might need to add some more repositories too). I use that with xdotool to create an insomnia effect (some of you might know from Windows. I created a script where I run

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

export DISPLAY=:0

xdotool keydown Shift_L keyup Shift_L
    caffeine
    The xdotool is just to wake screensaver up (like if you logged in with ssh, you'll need that and the DISPLAY. If you screen isn't only one. You might have to change the DISPLAY=:0

This is an answer to an old question, but I hope at least a newcomer or two might appreciate it.

What about xfce?

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    If so, I haven't found it. gmplayer seems to have a line in ~/.mplayer/gui.conf which can supposedly deactivate xscreensaver, but I haven't been able to transplant this line successfully anywhere that mplayer would react to. I'm not even sure if it works with gmplayer, actually. There are a number of reasons I'm not using gmplayer, like it fails to come up in fullscreen properly initially (has blue border on the bottom; repeatedly toggling full-screen mode eventually fixes it : Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip ).

Anyway, I don't know how to get internet videos to work with the shell script I made. This isn't such a severe problem, because internet videos tend to be very short anyway. However, it does point out how inelegant the shell script solution is.
    Yes this is the problem for the gmplayer that has blue borders at the bottom, with full-screen mode switching repeatedly at the end

Agree with bs-texas