How many of you are Red Hat certification (RHCE), let's count, & please take a vote! - Page 2

View Poll Results: do you have Red Hat certification (RHCE) or any other linux certification???

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • i am RHCE

1 2.86%
  • i have other linux certification

4 11.43%
  • i am MCSE

5 14.29%
  • no, i am not RHCE

29 82.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are Red Hat certification (RHCE), let's count, & please take a vote!

Re: in progress

Originally posted by CCNAwanna
    I'm currently an MCSE, and working on RHCE and CCNA right now. . . .
    At least nothing is going to be as tough as the MCSE tests. RHCE is just one test and so is the CCNA! Piece of cake compared!
    at least nothing is going to be as tough as the MCSE
    I think the RHCE will be much tougher I believe the test has at least 3 sections 1 written and two hands on.
    here is some more info http://www.redhat.com/about/presscen..._training.html
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

haha, don't be fooled by windows haters!

Ah, but don' t be fooled grasshopper! RHCE test is MUCH easier than 7 three hour MCSE tests! By far. I took the RHCE pre-exam, and it was a BREEZE. By the way, the LINUX+ exam was only 2.5 hours, (one test), and THAT was a breeze! Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the 7 MCSE exams, especially the MCSE 2000 exams. Only Windows haters and jealousy freeks say that MCSE was "easy" or not as tough as the rest. Of COURSE people say that, they are simply jealous. Did you know that the Government, both at the Federal and State level REQUIRE an MCSE to even get one's foot in the tech door!? Yep, it's true (that's where I'm at right now.)

Re: haha, don't be fooled by windows haters!

Ah, but don' t be fooled grasshopper! RHCE test is MUCH easier than 7 three hour MCSE tests! By far. I took the RHCE pre-exam, and it was a BREEZE. By the way, the LINUX+ exam was only 2.5 hours, (one test), and THAT was a breeze! Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the 7 MCSE exams, especially the MCSE 2000 exams. Only Windows haters and jealousy freeks say that MCSE was "easy" or not as tough as the rest. Of COURSE people say that, they are simply jealous. Did you know that the Government, both at the Federal and State level REQUIRE an MCSE to even get one's foot in the tech door!? Yep, it's true (that's where I'm at right now.)
    sorry I fell for it I think someone may be trolling
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

dont' worry

don't worry, you fell for it, as do a lot of newbies. There are a lot of windows haters out ther ebecause they lack the expertise as the MCSE's have. Sad really. It's best really to get MCSE, RHCE, CCNP, CNA, etc. and do it ALL. This way, you're always in the door no matter where you apply.

Did you know that the Government, both at the Federal and State level REQUIRE an MCSE to even get one's foot in the tech door!? Yep, it's true (that's where I'm at right now.)
    That scares me.

Your kidding right? I know some places do run unix, but that many places are windows only?

sort of

Yes, it's definitely true. The require an MCSE no matter what the technical position is for. They KNOW what it takes to achieve the MCSE and what skills it requires to pass all seven exams. Even in UNIX environments, the MCSE exam 70.216 directly applies because of the subnetting, IP addressing, routing, etc. They fiture you can learn the UNIX commands pretty easily if you've managed to get through seven Microsoft exams. I'm currently in an environment that has three domains and 26 sites! One domain is Solaris Unix with many Red Hat workstations. The sole requirement for the position was "MCSE" bachelors degree and some "Unix experience.

Why do they want MS when theres Cisco?

Is that section that good? I thought Cisco had the best certs.

Its too early for me to do this stuff but maybe ill look into this. I aways thought of MCSEs as those tech support monkeys.

Cisco, shmisco

Cisco is certainly not "the" certification. It's just too small. Cisco certs are ONLY for routers (routing) and switches (switching). Granted there is NOTHING better than Cisco if you want to do routing and switching. But Cisco is not even close to what MCSE offers. An MCSE can do e v e r y t h i n g. I tell you from experience. MCSE covers many, many areas. Everything from advanced subnetting, routing (RIP, OSPF, etc.)... to hardware stuff like RAID configurations, SCSI chains, NOS diaster recovery and even things like mail services(!) (Exchange, etc.). Cisco JUST covers two items, nothing more.

Maybe ill stop mocking MS for awhile now....

I think ill look into this now. Is this very windows centric or does it have alot of concepts? Is this something that would teach me alot or something to get me in the door?

teach

Microsoft already assumes you know networking very well (the 10baseT from the 10BaseF, RJ-45 from the.....) and so they go way beyond and teach you how networks work together. They teach you how to integrate Unix, MAC, OS/2 into a Windows enviornment (where are you going to learn that?), things like how many users per server, how many processes per Megabyte of RAM, etc. etc. etc... and so much more. So yes, it's something you can absolutely learn from and in fact, you'll be so much better off that you'll be kissing your own *** when you've completed all seven exams just becuase of the big brain you'll have.

Re: Cisco, shmisco

Cisco is certainly not "the" certification. It's just too small. Cisco certs are ONLY for routers (routing) and switches (switching). Granted there is NOTHING better than Cisco if you want to do routing and switching. But Cisco is not even close to what MCSE offers. An MCSE can do e v e r y t h i n g. I tell you from experience. MCSE covers many, many areas. Everything from advanced subnetting, routing (RIP, OSPF, etc.)... to hardware stuff like RAID configurations, SCSI chains, NOS diaster recovery and even things like mail services(!) (Exchange, etc.). Cisco JUST covers two items, nothing more.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in this statement. Though I am not a CCNA, I completed all of the CCNA curriculm as part of my AAS degree requirement.

When you get your CCNA, you will, of course, be able to setup Cisco routers and switches, as CCNAwanna stated. However, I felt that the courses and the tests I took made you demonstrate a proficiency in all things Networking. When I say Networking, I don't mean anything about the client or the server OSes. I mean subnetting/supernetting, TCP/IP principles, port numbers, routing protocols, IPX/SPX, the OSI model, (and how it relates to the TCP/IP model), making cables, and a TON of other stuff. By the time you have earned your CCNA, you are supposed to be able to physically design a network from the ground up, determine your IP addressing needs, and provide connectivity for your machines to the internet. You should also be able to set up Access Control Lists on a Cisco router to provide a beginning amount of protection for your network.

Basically, when you get your CCNA, potential employers should know that you know your stuff when it comes to networking. Of course, like it was mentioned earlier, the MCSE tests do cover a great amount of this material. If you're planning on getting your MCSE, I'd say skip the CCNA test and save $110. If you have your MCSE, people will think you know how to network, too.

But, I can't comment on the RHCE. I feel it's too young. I'm planning on getting some type of UNIX cert next year. The RHCE isn't one I'm considering, though. Meanwhile, I am studying for my MCSE. At least where I live, Microsoft is the dominant player in the OS market. Being that I like to eat and keep my bills paid, I'm going to go where the money is...
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this statement. Though I am not a CCNA, I completed all of the CCNA curriculm as part of my AAS degree requirement.
    Oh boy. Well, this is obviously coming from someone who DOESN'T have an MCSE or an CCNA. What I said was coming from a person who DOES have those certs and who has a lot more to boot. Take it from a professional with experience, MCSE is where you want to be. Cisco can come later....

Basically, when you get your CCNA, potential employers should know that you know your stuff when it comes to networking. Of course, like it was mentioned earlier, the MCSE tests do cover a great amount of this material. If you're planning on getting your MCSE, I'd say skip the CCNA test and save $110. If you have your MCSE, people will think you know how to network, too.
    There you have it. As stated above, if you have your MCSE, they already know you know how to subnet, route and network. Plus, they know you are an expert on Windows! The best of everything. GET your MCSE.

The best of everything
    Windows is the best?

I was liking the idea untill that cam up. Is it that windows centric? Im sure they throw in parts since its their test, but do they go over the general concepts or is this a brain washing thing?

I got my MCSE when I was 16 back when NT4 was relatively new. I didn't bother to upgrade it though, I started using linux shortly after. If I could go in and just take the darn RHCE test and not have to attend the course I might get it. I heard they offer the one day test now but it is ~$800!!! Not worth if for me. I think certification is less important in linux - if you don't know your spit it is obvious, and if it is not your boss is dumb so it doesn't matter. RHCE looks pretty simple too, the advanced server 501 or whatever course looks cool but I hate Redhat's proprietary ooie gui stuff. RHCE encourages people to learn gui and not beneath the surface. I have a consultant friend who got mad at me for "breaking" the redhat add user tool (don't even know what it is called cause it is worthless) by adding users via ssh a bash script and a text file.
    That other linux certification looks cool though - the open one.
    So the point of this rant...Linux is still geeky and scary to most people in IT. RHCE is worhtless cauese if you can make a linux system work you are a god to most IT types. It is only worthwhile if you can't learn on your own - what are your doing using linux if that is you - or if your company pays for it and there is someone at your office smarter than you (I have yet to experience this so I can't help you there).

last post on this!!

Dude, and I mean Dude, ask another REAL Windows 2000 MCSE if what I've said isn't true. I'm a MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+ and massive other program specific certs. I've been working professionally in the field for 10 years. If you can't believe what I'm telling you, then go your own route and don't listen to the pro's. It's the youngsters who think they know it all that fail. I didn't fail because I had a mentor who taught me the ways. Now... I'm making more $$$ than your mom and dad together. Go at it.