How many of you are Red Hat certification (RHCE), let's count, & please take a vote! - Page 3

View Poll Results: do you have Red Hat certification (RHCE) or any other linux certification???

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • i am RHCE

1 2.86%
  • i have other linux certification

4 11.43%
  • i am MCSE

5 14.29%
  • no, i am not RHCE

29 82.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of you are Red Hat certification (RHCE), let's count, & please take a vote!

Originally posted by CCNAwanna
    Oh boy. Well, this is obviously coming from someone who DOESN'T have an MCSE or an CCNA. What I said was coming from a person who DOES have those certs and who has a lot more to boot. Take it from a professional with experience, MCSE is where you want to be. Cisco can come later....
    What I was really trying to point out is that the CCNA is more than just routing and switching. It is supposed to be a benchmark of overall networking competance. Like I said, if you have this, a potential employer could be sure that you know how to network.

There you have it. As stated above, if you have your MCSE, they already know you know how to subnet, route and network. Plus, they know you are an expert on Windows! The best of everything. GET your MCSE.
    There's nothing I'd disagree with in this statement. If anything, I'd recommend that the CCNA almost be used as a stepping stone for the MCSE, or other manufacturer's cert. Just like you said yourself, Microsoft assumes you already know about different network topologies and other fundamental networking concepts. You have to get that from somewhere, be it a class, practical experience, or cramming for another cert like the CCNA. If you already know that stuff, then by all means, go for the MCSE test, and you'll probably do okay without ever thinking about the CCNA for a second.

...But in the long run, this is all moot. I've met plenty of MCSEs/MCSAs, CCNA/CCNPs, and other certifed individuals who knew enough to pass the test, but couldn't network their way out of a paper bag. Then again, I know someone with no formal training in IT, and he's making $100k+ /yr doing consulting, database development, and performing duties as CIO of a nursing home chain. In my opinion, yes, certifications may help you get in the door, but having practical, application-oriented knowledge of your skills is what keeps you from getting thrown out the door you came in through.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

So the point of this rant...Linux is still geeky and scary to most people in IT. RHCE is worhtless cauese if you can make a linux system work you are a god to most IT types. It is only worthwhile if you can't learn on your own - WTF are your doing using linux if that is you - or if your company pays for it and there is someone at your office smarter than you (I have yet to experience this so I can't help you there).
    HAHA, oh my my. This from a KID. I had my first UNIX (Sco version) network up and running before I ever even USED a mouse! Before there was even a Windows 3.1! (And I was had not even been laid yet!). So there you have it, another Windows hater who can't handle the fact that Linux/Unix is very easy to maintain, and Windows is much more difficult. Everyone in the REAL world knows this. Unix/Linux runs on IT"S OWN. It doesn't need a system admin. A secretary can make it go.

Re: haha, don't be fooled by windows haters!

Originally posted by CCNAwanna
    Ah, but don' t be fooled grasshopper! RHCE test is MUCH easier than 7 three hour MCSE tests! By far. I took the RHCE pre-exam, and it was a BREEZE. By the way, the LINUX+ exam was only 2.5 hours, (one test), and THAT was a breeze! Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the 7 MCSE exams, especially the MCSE 2000 exams. Only Windows haters and jealousy freeks say that MCSE was "easy" or not as tough as the rest. Of COURSE people say that, they are simply jealous. Did you know that the Government, both at the Federal and State level REQUIRE an MCSE to even get one's foot in the tech door!? Yep, it's true (that's where I'm at right now.)
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I almost spewed when I read that!
    I got my MCSE with ONLY self study and I took 15 on each exam. Actually I got my MCSE+Internet which is 9 exams. I took 4 on the same day in less than one hour. MCSE is the biggest ****ing joke in the world. Sorry to spit on your parage - I guess I shouldn't it is good motivation to learn your spit and a pretty good study guide, but the questions on the exams are ridiculous. Many assume a huge international site which maybe 1% of people would see and they shure as hell wouldn't base their megacorp backbone on just microsoft tech.
    Yes I am a Windows hater - maybe I am just a good test taker, but those exams were easy like public school achievement tests!
    RHCE looks much much harder (unless they let you use man on the hands on section)

Originally posted by mart_man00
    That scares me.

Your kidding right? I know some places do run unix, but that many places are windows only?
    Thats 90% bullspit. Most of the Federal govment was running netware and lotus software until very recently.

<This post and previous one edited by Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379. WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!!!>

Post agreed

I've met plenty of MCSEs/MCSAs, CCNA/CCNPs, and other certifed individuals who knew enough to pass the test, but couldn't network their way out of a paper bag. Then again, I know someone with no formal training in IT, and he's making $100k+ /yr doing consulting, database development, and performing duties as CIO of a nursing home chain. In my opinion, yes, certifications may help you get in the door, but having practical, application-oriented knowledge of your skills is what keeps you from getting thrown out the door you came in through.
    Yes, this makes much sense. No cert can make you smarter than someone who is smarter than you. A cert can only make the individual smarter. The other person shouldn't even enter the equation. There are an abundance of over achievers out there in the world, and some have certs and some don't. Just remember this, if you're a genius or a dumbas*, all paths lead to the same end - don't work so hard.

Thats 90% bullspit. Most of the Federal govment was running netware and lotus software until very recently.
    Everyone out there: DON'T BELIEVE THIS CRAP. Just another window hater who can't stand others are smarter and more experienced than him. I WORK IN THE GOVERNMENT TECH SECTOR, and I know for a FACT there isn't ONE Netware or Lotus box in any Government program I know of. Those are all gone now and Windows and Unix has taken over!!! Most Windows now and soon, ALL WINDOWS. Yes, windows is more difficult and Linux/Unix people will NOT HAVE A JOB. SO, GET YOUR MCSE 2003 and forget what Windows haters (little children) say. Listen from a very experienced professional.

Originally posted by mart_man00
    Why do they want MS when theres Cisco?

Is that section that good? I thought Cisco had the best certs.

Its too early for me to do this stuff but maybe ill look into this. I aways thought of MCSEs as those tech support monkeys.
    Cisco is by very the best, and toughest. There are very very few CCIE. If you are a CCIE you get respect period. MCSE is very devalued since those ****ing boot camps sprang up everywhre. It is becoming more of a trade school cert like someone who goes to hair cutting trade school and works at supercuts. Cisco certs are very very specialized and not very practical IMHO unless you really like those areas. If you really want to work for a big ISP or for some HUGE Corp or University then cisco is cool. I got bored with cisco real quick though cause I am not that detailed and didn't want to memorize cisco IOS command. Besides now you can do most of the things a cisco router can do with a good linux or openbsd box for alot cheaper. I am an independent consultant so I would rather get paid more than have my clients shell out $5k for a cisco pix that is nothing but a pentium 233 with 64mb ram running a prorietary os.

Now im confused!!! Im not sure who to beileve.

Why would teh gov be phasing out the unix? They still have security guides for it. What about their back ends?

Im not trying to insult you(im assuming you really do work there), it just makes no sense to me at all. Why? The price, performance, the fact that there alot of programmers who would preferer it or we hired because they were supposed to be able to pull it, why would they? What are you in(job and dept)?

I'm a MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+ and massive other program specific certs.
    Wow.

How much did that cost you(or would of cost you)? Any regreats? Some advice for a nerdy high schooler(me!)?

I'm going to open this thread back up now, seeing as the trouble makers have apparently gone away.

...We now return you to your regularly scheduled RHCE discussion, already in progress.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Its been awhile but can anyone talk alittle more about the MSCE thing?

Like how goof it really is? What is covered? Is it all MS-ified? Is it something that will teach you or just get you in the door? That kind of stuff

Thanks.

OK, for one...it's MCSE
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (for some reason I can't connect to www.microsoft.com right now, but Google tells me this is true )

Second...this is a Linux site, if you want to know about Microsoft certs, go to Microsoft

Third...this thread could be closed again for going off topic as it is about Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)

Now back on topic...anyone have experiance with getting a RHCE? I'd like to hear more from someone that has

My state job is paying for my RHCE courses. I am taking them online. I enjoy learning at my own pace instead of the instructor's pace. The guy wanted to get done early enough on the last day so he could catch the early flight home.

Getting through the courses seems like a breeze compared to learning perl online. I've heard that the pass rate is about 40% for the RHCE exam. I think I got that info from RedHat's training website. Just check it out to make sure.

I liked the one post that said you had to be certified in order to get some sort of tech job in the federal or state government. I recently got a score of 100% on my application for a "senior computer systems analyst". I don't have any of the mentioned certificates and yes, I got the job. The state actually gave ya points for practical experience. If you're wondering, no I didn't lie on my application.