The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here) - Page 16

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here)

I think that North Americans should pay the SCO because dictatorships come first in North America. If however you live in a free country like Germany, France, and Russia, than don't pay any attention to the SCO.

Originally posted by Citadel
    I think that North Americans should pay the SCO because dictatorships come first in North America. If however you live in a free country like Germany, France, and Russia, than don't pay any attention to the SCO.
    what are u talking about..!!
    america is a free country too.
    at least you are given choices to do what you like /dislike, choices to install and use software that you want

like i said it again, it's not dictatorship (in north america)!!...

it's just IMO.

SCO seems to think they can just become some sort of parasite that sits between linux and everybody else. They claim they have some sort of "Intellectual Property" rights over some part of the kernel. I don't even know what intellectual property means. But it's clear they don't care one bit about the GPL.

I just don't see any proof. SCO, WHERE IS THE CODE!?

Hey that's just not fair. I live in the US. Sure there are some serious issues, like the war and the DMCA, but it's not a dictatorship.
    ~psi42
    Last edited by psi42; 07-21-2003 at 06:14 PM.

Legal quandries exist in all nations these days; the US holds no exclusive license on them.

Let's lay off the trolling, shall we?

Thanks,
    Brian Proffitt
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

you know i really dont see the hubub, before you flame see my reasoning

all companies and humans in general think like this, we all want to win/come out ahead/rule/become rich blah blah blah, and everyone who wants to accomplish it needs an edge, SCO is no different than anyone else, they found their edge and are exploiting it, you would have done the same thing, thats what greed is all about, although IMHO their edge is very weasily, theres not much i can do about it, get used to it people, its in the headlines everyday, whether its a divorce trial or Enron, you *****ing about it doesn't make one bit of difference, some one is lining there pockets welcome to earth,2003

I never get involved in these types of threads as I feel I do not have the expertise on the legalities of something as complex as the SCO vs. IBM case (and others) since I would not be able to forum a unbiased opinion not knowing the inside facts on both fronts. We all should admit that we do not (well at least I don't).

Until any of us do, why not just let them sort it out and then see what happens.

Come on everyone, let's start MS bashing again.... Just kidding.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

SCO stock went up $1.13 today to $13.-somethng, so the corporate officers are benefiting if they still have stock. One way to rescue your networth.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

what can I say? linux was meant to be GPL, opensource... I'm just wondering if we're able to sue SCO...cuz they're trying to hold back the license...can we? I say...maybe justlinux can do the job! get everybody together...donate some money...and we'll sue the *** out of SCO!
    RedHat RedHat, seperate the Red and the Hat. Toss it around and you get HatRed. Guess it's hatred for MS?

Tactics

SCO is the little girl that cry's and nobody pays attention to.
    A professor of mine always say, When you hang out with fishermen you'l be come a fisherman, if you hang out with basketball players you become a basketball player when you hang out with loosers you become a looser.
    ie(Microsoft and SUN buying liscences from SCO).
    Live free or die ... LINUX

Originally posted by yongbeng
    what can I say? linux was meant to be GPL, opensource... I'm just wondering if we're able to sue SCO...cuz they're trying to hold back the license...can we? I say...maybe justlinux can do the job! get everybody together...donate some money...and we'll sue the *** out of SCO!
    It is the Unix code of which SCO holds the rights to that is being used in some of the Linux source that is being freely distributed.

What is the use of ranting about SCO if some do not know what it is all about?

Leave it to their lawyers and then we see what happens after the judgement or settlement.

And then MS comes along a bickers about something so trivial as the name 'Lindows'.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Germany - Hitler
    France - Napoleon
    Russia - Stalin

America?

Mcarthey (sp?)
    Edward J Hoover...
    Salem...
    Finland? 1918 Reds vs. Whites...
    Everyone's got their bad guys! (Napoleon wasn't such a bad bloke, once you got to know him )

Back to topic..Can SCO actually force me, not living in the US, to cough up for a Linux licence? Without giving me any proof whatsoever that they own any of the source. I don't think so!!!
    I guess even now, someone's poring through the kernel, trying to find anything that might fit SCO's claim, and, bless my socks, before the case ever comes to court, the offending code's (if any, which I doubt) has long vanished.
    That, folks, is why SCO won't release the info. But, surely someone in the forum knows a bit about the law..they have to release the code at some point, something called 'disclosure'.

But, can we all expect a letter from SCO telling us to stop using Linux? I sincerely doubt it..but it might be worth sending an email to ask...individually, from ALL of us Linux users..!

-Andy

<edit> I've asked SCO for clarification, and asked permission to publish their reply on this forum. Let's see....</edit>
    Last edited by andycrofts; 07-22-2003 at 05:41 AM.

That 1918 thing was a Russian thing you were just dragged into.

SCO has a good point though. They paid for an investment, and they have to fight to protect that investment.

Originally posted by redhat81

SCO has a good point though. They paid for an investment, and they have to fight to protect that investment.
    I only know what I posted above about SCO vs. IBM, but how would anyone feel if they spent big $$$ for the Unix rights only to find portions of the code being used in something that is being freely distributed?

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it will be settled without causing too much damage to Linux etc.

Linuxplanet Tutorials

SCO unix V linux

i have a question about SCO and linux.

what does this mean for linux. <as apposed to unix v> where can i read more about this?

thanks guys
    kudzu