The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here) - Page 26

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here)

I see the crack reference, but I didn't see the link to the article. Sorry if this is already back up there somewhere.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1227128,00.asp

I laughed out loud when I came across the crack thing.

Torvalds: They are smoking crack.
    Last edited by bs_texas; 09-05-2003 at 05:41 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

There's actually a poll on the right hand side of that page asking if u agree that sco are smoking crack
    Linux is not responsible for:
    Loss of hair
    Loss of sleep
    Loss of sanity

http://www.linuxgaminghelp.co.uk

looks like someone is very mad at sco

seems their site is down.

edit: sorry mod, i meant to post reply to main sco rant, but must have accidently clicked new thread.
    Last edited by phlipant; 08-25-2003 at 10:07 AM.

Re: looks like someone is very mad at sco

Originally posted by phlipant
    seems their site is down.
    yes... however, the irritating thing about this is the inflamatory article by Eric Raymond on linuxtoday.com where he implicates Opensource Users in a general sense (meaning all) as the perpetrators of the DoS attacks on the alleged SCO.

furthermore, since they caught the culprit, he (Raymond) is still using the terms such as "we" (meaning Opensource users in general) should not "make this mistake again" (meaning do DoS attacks).

i find his remarks to be personally offensive as he is lumping me/us into his sweeping generalizations that it is the entire Opensource Community that is responsible for these attacks.

SCO DoS again today..

I See the Smoking Crack Organisation claimed its servers were down again today, and blamed it (again) on the Open Source community.
    But what a great soundbite for their case...wouldn't surprise me if they didn't pull the plug themselves for awhile, to throw blame on the o.s. community once again. After all, after the last attack over the weekend, these self-styled "Bastions of Unix" would surely have patched the hole..

Unless they're dumber than dog$h1t...
    <edit> They are! Just found this..
    Security experts on the Full Disclosure mailing list--a public forum for discussing software vulnerabilities--said last week that SCO's Web site appeared to be using older software that hadn't been patched with recent security updates. Kevin Finisterre, a security consultant with Secure Network Operations Software, said the company has had a bad history of dealing with security flaws. In the past, he has notified SCO of several issues that never were patched, he said. "They said they were going to take care of it," he said. "But as it stands today, it (SCO OpenServer) is still vulnerable."
    </edit>

Interesting, noting the time of the (apparently) two attacks coincided with their shares going into freefall, (yahoo.finance.com, symbol is SCOX) I reckon the Cheif Crackhead panicked, and told someone to plug the toaster back in!!

As an aside, Aforemetioned Crackhead seems to have accused Eric Raymond of being in the pay of IBM. Bit rich for a company seemingly in the pay of Redmond....I would have thought that was slander, but I don't know what the legal remedy for slander is over there in sue-me land.

(Pun-ette. Finnish name for Finland is Suomi. Sounds similar. Sorry. Groan!)

PPS And a priceless quote!
    To my fellow folk in the Linux community, you need not fear. I specifically asked if, in making that broad a statement about UNIX, The SCO Group was making any legal claim to Linux. According to McBride, "obviously Linux owes its heritage to UNIX, but not its code. We would not, nor will not, make such a claim."
    (Linux Journal, August 2002)
    Last edited by andycrofts; 08-28-2003 at 10:39 AM.

im so tired of this melodrama, where ESR claims contact with hackers on attack (sound like ross perot`s ninjas, doesn`t it?). while sco claim to have called the fbi. yet, when all is said and done, we discover sco upgraded their apache webserver from 1.3.x to (presumably) 2.0.x last thursday. it seems that a week of downtime, immediately following an upgrade is proof of an incompetent upgrade.

netcraft survey with 21-aug-2003 upgrade

Seems the eff has finally found itself outraged over SCO's claims...

On Wednesday, August 25, the SCO Group Inc. announced plans to sue individual Linux users who decline to pay it a $700 license fee. "Suing consumers in order to speed-up resolution of SCO's lawsuit against IBM is completely unjustifiable," said EFF Staff Attorney Jason Schultz. "SCO should prove its legal claims against IBM and Red Hat before it turns consumers into collateral damage. SCO should not wield the threat of litigation to extract licensing fees from consumers when it's not at all clear that it has any legal right to do so."
    http://www.eff.org/news/breaking/arc..._08.php#000445

Is reality just now becoming clear to SCO?

The Age is running an article in which SCO says they don't have plans to sue any commercial linux companies, nor did they ever have plans to do so.

One has to wonder how this agrees with previous statements, including letters mailed to over 1,500 companies threatening them with litigation, or even a press release dated only 8 days ago in which SCO stated that they were in the process of identifying linux users and companies to file lawsuits against if they didn't buy a license from them.

Anyone care to tell me... where do they get these wonderful drugs??

Note to mods: Sorry for not posting this in the main SCO thread, as I felt this was new and not the usualy rant. Feel free to merge it in at your discrition.

yes caldera/SCO now is claiming they own all Unix and all Linux operationg systems and if you are using one you will pay up or go to jail.

I had a cocaine adicted friend who tried to pull the same thing once.

only he said he owned the brookland bridge and anyone using it had to pay him.

heck he should have filed a lawsuit and claimed he owned all bridges and bridge building technology.

I think he was even the very first guy in history to ever even think of going across the river to score his crack!

so he invented the very idea of river crossing. and that includes by boat or swimming or walking or even flying over the river in a plane or if you get catapulted or shot out of a canon.

He invented being shot out of a canon you know just to get across the river.

therefore anyone who uses artillery in war has to pay him for use of his intelectual property.

yea that's it -- that shuld keep him in crack for a few days longer !

desperation is the mother of all lawsuits.

SCO Random Comment Generator

I've toiled through the night to bring everyone the worlds first SCO story funny comment generator. It generates funny comments for almost any SCO story. Pretty hilarious if you ask me... Judge for yourself!
    Here's the link:
    SCO Comment-O-Matic

Jon "StickMan" Davis

its funny, after all the trolling in the board these days
    The best way to ask is the polite way.
    ---Somebody

btw....

$CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS
    $CO SUCKS

and last but not least!:

$CO SUCKS

welcome to JustLinux StickMang
    The best way to ask is the polite way.
    ---Somebody

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

DirecTV

Somehow this has immense parallels to the current DirecTV debacle. (Search Google/E.F.F)
    In that case, if I read correctly, DirecTV being sued under a class-action suit under RICO (racketeering) laws, possibly by hundreds if not thousands of people.
    Understand, too, they're ganging up for 'Malicious Prosecution' which could conceivably cost the company up to $100,000 per person..Now, that'd take away Daryl's crack-money!

Seem to have a good chance of winning, too.

Dunno how you Yanks can live with a system where you can be taken to court, proved innocent/case unfounded/dismissed and still have to pay attorneys fees of thousands of dollars.
    The lunatics are sure running the asylum there!

"Land of the Free - dom to Litigate "

-Andy

Exclamation True

This country is turning into lawsuit 'hell'. You can sue if someone looks at you wrong. It's getting rediculous. Really!

I'm a DirecTV customer, will I get anything? Hadn't heard about the lawsuit. I suspect it's about them watching your viewing habits. If so, my phone line is disconnected.

Done

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.