The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here) - Page 32

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here)

So now they're claiming that it was someone at SCO that created the MyDoom virus?
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

Smile Please please please make it true!

Originally posted by Syngin
    So now they're claiming that it was someone at SCO that created the MyDoom virus?
    So far this has only appeared (to my knowledge) on a Russian site (you can find a link on another thread)

Wouldn't that be awesome? Therumor itself m,ay be enough to murder the stock.

It's hard to believe that anybody could be so desperate and delusional as to think something like that could help them-- but if anyone would, it's out boy Darl!

As I have said elsewhere on the web, Jack Ruby was a murderer... but that doesn't make Lee Harvey Oswald a hero!

mainstream media

Heard another report, this on local news radio, that the Linux community is most likely to blame for MyDoom.

Grrrr. I wonder who feeds them this stuff.

What's the difference between reporters and Linux users?

Linux users are more likely to check their sources.

-Waylena
    ->> Reach for the stars, visit your local planetarium. <<-
    Registered Linux User #276555

Same place they get the rest, out of the sky. I really believe they make some of this stuff up. What used to be respectable, trustworthy journalists and newspapers etc are now more like tabloids. I think sometimes the Weekly World News tabloid has more facts than some of the major newspapers.

They pick what they want you to know about. They slant it to the way they want you to think about it. They don't know who did this. The person that did will never tell anybody. There is a reward out and I wouldn't trust nobody if I made the bug. Heck, if I knew who did it, I would have a new rig with SCSI drives and dual CPUs. I would also have a house built. I would rake it in big time.

I think SCO is wrong. They deserve to be exposed, but this is not the way to win. Win in court where the fight is in the open and has to be fair. Then embarass the hell out of SCO and watch the stock drop to the ground and them close their doors forever.

Sorry if you support SCO. I like what Gates did for computers as far as bringing them to everyone, sort of, but I don't like the WAY he did it. It is not weither you win or not, it is how you play them game. Play fair. Then you can say you won fair and square.

Maybe I'm to old for this thread.

Later

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

Originally posted by dalek
    I really believe they make some of this stuff up. What used to be respectable, trustworthy journalists and newspapers etc are now more like tabloids. I think sometimes the Weekly World News tabloid has more facts than some of the major newspapers.

They pick what they want you to know about. They slant it to the way they want you to think about it.

This is a 100% true statement. The current state of the free press of the United States is incredibly embarrasing! The job of the press is to inform the public of the facts, it's not to inform the public of the viewpoint held by any particular media distributor.

I was sitting on a sandbag pile in south central Iraq (LSA Viper) watching two different sattelite feeds. One from Fox news and one from CNN. I couldn't believe the audacity CNN showed! They were more interested in proving the presidents decision as unsound then in actually reporting the facts happening in-country. Anyway, I'll not be watching CNN in my house. Ever. May their ratings fall off the charts, and may they have to beg for Ron Popiel infomercials for revenue.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Well I have had Fox on DirecTV for a while now and I have a question for you. What is CNN?

I have, since getting this computer and Fox, caught old Dan Rather and CNN slanting the news so far that it is unbelievable. I don't trust the local major newspaper. I do trust the little "minor" one though.

I can remember about 15 or 20 years ago when our area had a series of rape/assaults. Nobody knew they were happening. It was stupid. Women did not know they needed to be MORE careful. We should have been informed that this was going on. Unless you were the wife of a cop, you were clueless. Our local Major newspaper and TV station are owned by the same person, well was till recently anyway. Still sucks though.

We need facts, not opinions, We can make them for ourselves. That's why we have a brain to think with, well some of us do anyway.

I also think the press, concerning this SCO matter as well, interfere with a fair trial. They get a bunch of talking heads that know nothing about the evidence in the case to tell what happened and how. They don't know what happened any more than a man on the moon, or Mars now.

Just like the guy that made up all those stories, New York Times I think, and it took that long to catch him? If they are that bad off, they should not be believed at all. They don't know what is going on in their own building, much less anywhere else.

Basically, if I see it, then I believe it, but only if they show the whole thing, not just a little snipit of it.

My rant for the night. Maybe emerge sync is done now.

Oh yea, I got another 512MBs stick of memory coming. 1GB then. Mozilla was using about 300MBs the other day. It still hogged it up even after I closed it. Killall fixed that though.

Later

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

A new High in Low

Yep, the virus is a product of theLinux communtity... all ten million of us got together. We met in my apartment, last week. Did you know that everyone who uses Linux is a member of the Illuminati? And we're all Jews to boot!

Lots of people want Linux to fail, cause they're afraid that if it succeeds, everything they know about WIndows will be useless. I hear about IT professionals making moronic statements like there's no place where you can get Linux support (Hey, Einstein, ever hear of IBM?) Plus, Linux seems to discredit their Michael Douglas greed-is-good philosophy. SCO will play up the virus, of course, cause it gives them a new headline after last week's "The Most Hated Company in Tech" story in Business week. Usually, after damaging publicity, our young Darl has to respond by kicking up the shenanigans to the next level. By doing something stupid, the virus writer(s) spared SCO the trouble.

On CBS this morning, I heard the stupidest thing yet on the virus. linux was not mentioned, but neither was SCO. I heard that it was MICROSOFT that the virus was aimed at and it was MICROSOFT that had offered a reward. I mean MY GOD where DO they get this stuff? Maybe CBS needs to buy a computer, so they can check their facts. From now on, I will not watch CBS morning news to be informed, but for the incredibly hot female news anchors. Let me tell you, if Naked News could get Renee Syler or Julie Chen, it would be a blow for quality journalism.

I agree with Dalek on the Talking heads. People are paid not for their expertise, but for their ability to SOUND like they know what they're talking about. The average Linux activist, who follows these stories on Linux Today, knows more about the case than a writer for Financial TImes. I'm sure the Financial Times got several emails accusing them of bias for a recent article on SCO, but on closer examination, it appears that the writer just doesn't know d*** about the case.

Hmm..

I think the M$ virus is a new variant of the $CO one.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

For the record........on the record...I support IBM 100%. They don't have JBoss, but they are supporting me in my chosen profession, so I'll defend them to my death bed.

I'm not special. My best friend is not special. My best friend just happens to be the son the former chairman of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce.

We (Andrew and I) had dinner with his family and I was not a bit surprised to see that Jon Kyl was present. I asked Jon about SCO's accusations and the future of open source software.... I couldn't have been happier.

In short. Arizona is behind the OSS/FS movement 100%. Both McCain and Kyl see that nobody's rights were really infringed upon. They also see that untill someone can prove it.......it's open territory......

Of course, that is just what they told me.....
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Re: Hmm..

Originally posted by je_fro
    I think the M$ virus is a new variant of the $CO one.
    ]

Yes you're right. The report I was watching didn't make that clear, and I read the Microsoft story later in the day. My apologies to all the network hotties at CBS.

I saw something scroll really quick across CNN, but I missed what it said. So I went to www.cnn.com to see if I could see what news there was and man talk about the history there listed about SCO and it contribution to Linux. Do it and look at the dates of the articles. Funny history of SCO has contributed.
    Make sure you do a search of CNN not the web.
    ArchLinux / Debian (sid)
    Linux user #314187

Linux Stole SCO Code

Just figured I would share a WONDERFUL website for all....be sure you read the error message properly....

http://www.linuxstolescocode.com

Enjoy!
    terets

Gentoo is a way of life...

Registered Linux User #138016

SCO's IPO

im just getting into stocks, and understanding them. I wanted to know about Torvalds comment on SCO and thier IPO with linux. Can someone tell me about it. Thanks

Read through the MAIN SCO thread for lots of details, links and comments
    http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=109715

Not to mention the IPO was a few years ago... but last year the stock price went from literally pennies up thru the roof.