No MX or A records for ...

Thread: No MX or A records for ...

No MX or A records for ...

Hello

I am suddenly having a problem sending or receiving mail to yahoo adresses. I am guessing they changed something in their configuration that causes my sending domain not to be recognized. Now when I send mail I get errors like:

No MX or A records for blahblah.com

or

Domain of sender address jk@blahblah.com does not resolve

----
    I do have an MX entry in the DNS record:

$TTL 86400

@ IN SOA www.blahblah.com. root.www.blahblah.com. (
    2003070701 ; Serial
    28800 ; Refresh
    14400 ; Retry
    3600000 ; Expire
    86400 ) ; Minimum
    ;
    ; Name Servers
    ;
    IN NS www.blahblah.com.

;
    ; Mail Exchangers
    ;
    blahblah.com. IN MX 0 www.blahblah.com.

Can someone please tell me why I might be getting these errors?

Thanks!
    Visit America's Aviation Forum
    IFR USA on www.ifr.us

(1) Is the blahblah.com nameserver set up to recognize your machine as the authority for the www domain? If not, no requests will ever get forwarded to you for <anything>.www.blahblah.com; the blahblah.com nameserver will attempt to resolve them itself.

(2) Your SOA is for www.blahblah.com, but your MX record is for a name outside your domain (just blahblah.com). I believe all names you try to resolve have to be inside your domain...

I assume the errors that you quoted are being sent back to you in the bounce messages, right?

Try checking the DNS records from somewhere like http://www.network-tools.com and see if they match up with what you have, and do a whois to make sure your domain isn't expired or locked.
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.

It is not expired or locked.

Most of my email goes through ok. Yahoo is giving what they call a "soft bounce".

I looked up my domain on http://www.network-tools.com and it looks fine (I think). Should there be an MX entry in this?

[66.46.181.133] returned a non-authoritative response in 78 ms: Answer records
    name class type data time to live
    kingnet.us IN NS ns4.blahblah.com 7200s (2h)
    kingnet.us IN NS ns5.blahblah.com 7200s (2h)
    Authority records
    [none]
    Additional records
    [none]

Whois is fine too.

Thanks
    IFR USA on www.ifr.us

Yeah, there technically should be an MX record there, but if you don't have one mail just goes to the A record. I'm assuming the A record showed up and you just didn't include it here? If not then obviously there's a problem...
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.

I think that's part of the problem, but I do have an MX line set up in the DNS record (see orginal post). Why doesn't it show?
    IFR USA on www.ifr.us

I know you don't want to post the real domain name here, but if you don't mind PM'ing it to me, I'll see if I can make some more suggestions. I'll keep that info private.
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.

That's ok, I don't think it matters too much.

The domain is kingnet.us. I am hosting some ither domains on the same box and think they all have the same problem. squawktalk.com and ebzb.com are some others.

Thanks for the help!
    IFR USA on www.ifr.us

...and the nameserver is the same box as well. is is actually ns4.fourkings.com. (ns5 doesn't actually exist).
    IFR USA on www.ifr.us

Aha! I think that's the problem. With nameservers, I don't think the 2nd server works as a failover server, it propogates what it has just like the primary server. I saw MX and A records for kingnet.us and squawktalk.com, but couldn't see jack for ebzb.com on internet-tools.com. Guess which time network-tools was using ns5?

You might need to get something legit there for ns5...I'm not totally sure though. Does netsol let you set up a domain with just one nameserver, or do they force you to have 2?
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.