Programming Challenges - Page 10

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Programming Challenges

Bernoulli Challenge

I have a new challenge for everybody. This program was one that I had to write for a computer science class and requires a little mathematics background. (Though which a little intuition it can be figured out) I included it in a seperate file as there are a few restrictions. This program calculates and outputs the Bernoulli Coefficients for some k which is between 1 and 15. I have explained what a Bernoulli Coefficient is in the text file attached. This program can be completed using iterative loops and once you find a relation for B(j,k) from S(n,k) is pretty simple. However, this program is extremely slow when using numbers larger than say 15 for k. For even more of a challenge, find a dynamic programming algorithm which will compute the numbers even faster (I do believe this exists, but I don't know it right now). If you have any questions about the program you can PM me. Good Luck

[NOTE]
    I know people have asked for less mathematical challenges in the past, but the truth is that programming is based mostly on mathematical ideas and theory. Therefore we cannot get away from math in programming. The most interesting ideas and challenges in Programming really come from the mathematics behind it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's a neat little challenge with a history.

When my USMC Reserve unit was activated and sent to Iraq recently, I was forced over into that big sandbox with them. From there I ended up in the 6ESB S-2 shop. That's right kids, military intelligence. Of course, that meant I did absolutely nothing for 20 hours out of every day. However, I teamed up with out Intel Chief Sgt. Knight and we came up with the hardware for a microwave relay to FSSG. That means we had internet access! Since he was a CS student and I had done some java coding, we decided to download the jdk. Next, we stumbled upon the challenge I will present to you. However, I cannot tell you how to complete it because Sgt. Knight and I never got around to it. He was just a second year student and the extent of my programming revolves around CMP/JBoss where I actually don't write any real code I simply spend hours writing xml documents that tell the container precisely how to blow my code bits right through my foot at a high rate of speed. I digress........Here is the challenge.

You are a knight on a standard chess board (8x8). At what positions on the board can you start moving using normal knight moves and touch each square on the board exactly once?

That means there are several positions from which you can start (64), and the knight piece moves 2 up and 1 over, or 1 up and 2 over. Whichever square it lands on is now off limits to land on again. From which squares on the grid is this possible?

Once you have conquered that, try it with a 12X12 chessboard or a 16X16 chessboard.

If anyone has posted this before in this thread, I am sorry but I haven't had the time to browse the thread cover to cover.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Hey, I did that, it is sometimes called the Knight's Tour. I actually did it for some class using either FRIL or LISP can't remember which. If I find my code I will post it here. There is another similar problem that I did. This was the 8 Queens Problem. Basically on an 8X8 chess board how could you place eight queens onto the board so that no queen was attacked by any other queen on the board.

Originally posted by soccerplayer
    Here is a holiday challege for you guys...someone write a quick duckhunt type program in c++ where your goal is to shoot santa ( or if youd like buddha, reindeer, etc...) make either the mouse or keyboard do the actual shooting, whatever you guys would like. lets just see if anyone has some holiday programming spirit.
    Press 'g' to turn off gravity. press 'esc' to exit. you lose 50 points if you don't click a duck by the time it goes off the screen. You get points proportional to the horizontal speed of the duck if you do click it, and you still get points for clicking a duck after you've clicked him but a decreasing amount each succesive click. The code for the glfont, glstring, and xwindow libraries isn't included so you can't compile the main file. An executable is included. I just gutted a copy of a program I was working on and added the code to make this game, so the code (and the game) isn't pretty. The game is best played at 1024x768 with an opengl driver. You also need to keep the window maximized or else ducks are generated off screen. I forgot to scale the velocities according to your screen resolution so they are going to move across your screen at x pixels/sec regardless of how wide your screen is. Sorry.

game
    Last edited by grady; 12-06-2003 at 03:18 PM.

Originally posted by voidinit

You are a knight on a standard chess board (8x8). At what positions on the board can you start moving using normal knight moves and touch each square on the board exactly once?

Once you have conquered that, try it with a 12X12 chessboard or a 16X16 chessboard.

If anyone has posted this before in this thread, I am sorry but I haven't had the time to browse the thread cover to cover.
    dude... thats easy I did it last year in my sophmore CS class... you

let me see if I can find the code...

import java.awt.geom.*;
    import java.util.*;
    import java.util.Random;
    public class knightJourney
    {
    private int[][] grid = new int[7][7];
    private ArrayList moves;
    private int numMoves;
    private Point2D.Double knight;
    public knightJourney()
    {
    moves = new ArrayList();
    moves.add(new Point2D.Double(1, 1));
    knight = (Point2D.Double)moves.get(1);
    }

public ArrayList possMoves(int positionX, int positionY)
    {
    Point2D.Double space;
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX + 1, positionY - 2);
    moves.add(space); space = new Point2D.Double(positionX + 2, positionY - 1);
    moves.add(space);
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX + 2, positionY + 1);
    moves.add(space);
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX + 1, positionY + 2);
    moves.add(space);
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX - 1, positionY + 2);
    moves.add(space);
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX - 2, positionY + 1);
    moves.add(space);
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX - 2, positionY - 1);
    moves.add(space);
    space = new Point2D.Double(positionX - 1, positionY - 2);
    moves.add(space);
    return moves;
    }

public ArrayList testMoves(int x, int y)
    {
    ArrayList possibleMoves = possMoves(x, y);
    for(int i = 0; i <= possibleMoves.size(); i++)
    for(int k = 0; k <= possibleMoves.size(); k++)
    if(possibleMoves.get(k) != moves.get(k))
    possibleMoves.remove(k);
    return possibleMoves;
    }

public Point2D.Double pickMove()
    {
    Random random = new Random();
    ArrayList possibleMoves = testMoves(b, c);
    Point2D.Double a = possibleMoves.get(random.nextInt(possibleMoves.siz e()));
    Point2D.Double b = (double)a.getX();
    Point2D.Double c = (double)a.getY();
    Point2D.Double move = new Point2D.Double();
    move = (Point2D.Double)possibleMoves.get(random.nextInt(p ossibleMoves.size()));
    moves.add(move);
    return move;
    }

public void move(Point2D.Double a)
    {
    moves.add(a);
    knight = a;
    }

public int[][] printGrid()
    {
    return grid;
    }
    }

...sorry I dont know how to add textfiles...

just copy it and paste it in your compiler and run it... but you do need a tester for it.
    Last edited by GlennaclawZ; 12-09-2003 at 05:34 PM.
    Registered Linux User: #342515

Slackware 10 - kernel 2.6.10

AMD Athlon 3000+
    512 RAM pc2700
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated

www.rex-pro.com For life!!!

Originally posted by grady
    Compute the complex product ( a + ib ) * ( c + id ) using only three real multiplications
    express the component as complex exponentials?