debian sarge ten cds?

Thread: debian sarge ten cds?

debian sarge ten cds?

got cable internet the other day, and thought i was in heaven. downloaded all 10 debian sarge cds (in 6 hours ) and i have a few questions:

before i burn these bad boys, do i need all 10?

also, i tried debian woody and it found almost none of my hardware (see my sig - Warbox). i read that there is a newer installer on sarge, will that help with my hardware setup? i like to be pampered during setup then tweak beyond that.

i have run libranet and knoppix, but for some reason i didn't feel 'debian' enough. i think it is time to dive in. thoughts?
    Your distro is not better/worse than anyone else's. Unite!

RH9user | JL > DebianUser

Linux User: 307026
    Debian - Save yourself the hassle.

I tried doing some searches at Google to figure out what the 10cds are. I mean, which are source cds, etc.

You won't probably need the source cds.

Does anyone know what these 10cds are?
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Well, us over in irc are all in a rush to get a reply in here.

I would say burn none of them, download cd 1 for woody, and install using that. I don't know how usable the installer is for sarge right now. Near the end of the install of the woody disc, you'll be given the option of adding apt sources. add the net sources, and then edit the file. change every referance of stable to testing or sarge. Then finish the install, and you will be running debian sarge (aka testing).

:edit: and theres actually 11 sarge cds ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/de...official/sarge
    Last edited by sharth; 08-28-2003 at 11:21 PM.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

If you have broadband, you don't need a single CD.

If you set up your /etc/apt/sources.list for the testing version, you can simply update your distro using apt-get upgrade.

I'd hate to think that you wasted your time, but since you've got broadband, using apt to update or set up your new Debian system is far more efficient.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

or use the PGI for your install (GUI installer which autodetects almost everything) then after the install is done, change your apt sources to the debian sarge ones (list available on the debian web site in the apt documentation) then apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/

the ISO is here

well you got braodband so I wouldn't even bother with the cds. you can do the floppy based / net install. You do remember floppy disks right? The only cd you NEED if you do the cd based install is the first since you can use apt anyway to pull packages off the net.

As for pampering, if you don't use Libranet, Knoppix or another debian BASED distro, then you will end up having to do some homework to get things going as Debian doesn't really babysit.

Edit: That's twice within five minutes that I posted only to find I was beaten to the punch. Thanks Alex/Hayl!!

ok, rock

thanks for the replies. i have always liked doing an install from cds because if for some reason my system goes DOWN, i won't be able to do a net install until i get something running.

i prefer to have a cd of some sort laying around so i can get things up and running. once i get this debian in, i plan to use partimage to make backups.

finally, has anyone installed from the sarge first disk? is it terrible?

as far as what is on the 10 cds, i plan to use an iso tool to read what they contain, and delete the ones i don't need.

i tried installing from the sarge cds quite a few months ago, and it was a pain. Didn't really work. But I would imagine that it is leaps and bounds farther. you can probably also add the cds as apt sources...
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Probably all you need is the first CD. That's the case with woody, and AFAIK there's no reason to think they changed it. As for CD's 2-10, they are optional software. The most popular (i.e., required) is on on CD1, next most popular on CD2 and so forth. Suse does it the same way.
    There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

warning though, the first woody cd has the 2.2 kernel so you need it and cd 5 only

or you can get a distro called bonzai linux, which is the cd5 or woody with the 2.4bf kernel, a lil better hardware detection, and some common packages like kde 3.1, but it leaves no-non debian foot print, so you wont even know you didnt use debian to install it

lack of warnign though. if at the boot screen (before language select) you use bf24 it will give you a 2.4.18 kernel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

bonzai?

bonzai? is it a single iso? tell me more....

yes its just one cd about 180mb i think heres the distrowatch page for it