Is my CD burner dead?

Thread: Is my CD burner dead?

Is my CD burner dead?

Recently, my CD burner will no longer recognise any CD I put in the drive. It acts as if there is simply no disc inserted.

I even tried rebooting into (ugh) winblows, and still nothing.

So, is my burner fried beyond repair or is there a way to fix it?

Gah...the worst part is that my burner is set to be my secondary master (I also have a DVD-ROM drive as a slave), so now I can't boot off a CD unless I change my jumpers. Oh, joy :rolleyes:

I had this exact same problem with a Yamaha SCSI CDRW drive and after many I weeks, I decided that, sadly, the drive was damaged beyond repair.

I have no idea how it got into that state, but I was over-burning from time to time and I may have pushed it beyond it's limits. There was no obvious reason for it having failed (no burnt components, no damage to the lens...)

Sorry, you'll need a new one.

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

You could try loading new firmware for it if it will take it and firmware is available from the mfg site.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

I hope it works, loading the firmware that is, but I tried everything when my drive failed, and with no way of finding which component failed, I gave up and sold the drive for spares/repair on eBay.

Could you tell me what drive it is? Mine was a Yamaha CRW8824S drive. I hope there's not a common factor in Yamaha drives here... or a common chipset.

Also, how long have you had the drive? Is it IDE or SCSI?

You may find it easier to throw and perform an unscheduled upgrade (if you can afford it). Just taking a look inside one of those things was enough for me. Zero user-serviceable parts.

Interesting to note, that particular drive of mine had a 'gold' sheen on the lens (whereas they're normally blue). Sort of like a burn mark on glass. Is this a feature of CDRW drives to protect the laser from reflection (doubtful) or could it be burn corrosion from excessive high-power laser therapy on shiny discs (i.e. disc-burning)?

I had two CDRW drives (one IDE, one SCSI) and the IDE drive (HP as it would happen) has burnt far more than the SCSI and has never had a problem yet.

James
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

It's an MSI ATAPI CD-RW 52XMax drive. It's also IDE.

Oddly enough, when I put a disc in, the light flashes a little and sometimes I can hear whirring, so it seems to recognise something...for whatever reason, it's just not communicating it to my computer.

The whirring is what I got - it would fire up and the "read" light would flash red whilst it was attempting to read a disc.

In all honesty, I think you should either sell it for spares on eBay or throw it in the bin.

Sorry, but there's nothing more I can offer you. I hope the drive has served you well.

James.
    UseLinux.net