Mplayer and GCC 2.96 ??

Thread: Mplayer and GCC 2.96 ??

Mplayer and GCC 2.96 ??

im a newbie to Linux and just installed Mandrake 8.2..
    When I try to install Mplayer it gives me an error saying i have GCC 2.96 and that i should update to gcc 3.x.... so i went and downloaded the gcc 3.3.1.. and i installed it but then when i restarted my computer it asks me to login to xsevr.. but then it would jsut freeze... so i re-installed linux again.... what i want to know is how do i UNinstall gcc 2.96 and then install gcc 3.3.1 on so that way Mplayer would work too...

thanks a lot

You can try the graphical installer on Mandrake.
    I believe it's called rpmdrake if I remember correctly, just uncheck the gcc option and download the newer version.

I got got mplayer to work on Mandrake 8.2 though without upgrading gcc. There used to be an option while configuring

./configure --disable-gcc-checking --enable gui

The MPlayer people have a problem with gcc 2.96. If you feel like reading their documentation, you can view it here. You are going to either compile mplayer from source, or if you have the source rpm, you can edit the spec file and add --disable-gcc-checking. An alternative would be to upgrade Mandrake to the latest version which uses the latest version of gcc.

--SN