libdvdcss picture quality

Thread: libdvdcss picture quality

Hybrid View

libdvdcss picture quality

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with a Samsung SyncMaster 151s on a nVidia GeForce 2 MX video card. P4 1.5 GHz, 384 MB SDRAM (or somewhere around there). Basically, a pretty decent computer that should play back decent quality video. I'm using Ogle 0.8.5 with libdvdcss 1.2.6, which were installed via RPM from PLF.

My problem is that the video quality of my DVD movies aren't that great, no matter what distribution I use. I've tried it on Vector SOHO 3.2, Redhat 9.0, JAMD 0.0.6, Mandrake 9.1 and a few others too. But every time, the DVD quality isn't really up to par. It's fine in Windows XP though. It's not choppy or anything, just ... liney? It's hard to explain and I don't know how to take a screenshot of it.

Whenever there's any sudden motion in a video clip (e.g. performer running across stage), the video turns into these thin bands of lines where you can still see what's going on, but it's not really that pleasant to view. If somebody could show me how to take a screenshot of a video (I always end up with a window filled with blue), I'll show you what I mean. This isn't really a huge deal, but I'm wondering if this is due to me not properly configuring things or if it's a limitation of libdvdcss.

On another note, all other videos work fine.

hello soda_popstar,

i've noticed a similar phenomenon using xine with the libdvdcss plugin. however, in my case at least, the problem hasn't been so bad as to be unpleasant - but i know what you mean: any rapid movement and you see thin horizonal lines..

if you want to take a 'still' from a movie, xine can do this quite easily by the way..

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Here's a sample screenshot. Whenever there's sudden movement, it turns into thin bands. Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Or can this not be helped?

This is a "deinterlace" problem, in xine you can go into setup-gui-advanced-video and choose from several plugins to correct this problem and just press "I" to aktivate it.
    Mplayer must have somthing similar, dont now about ogle,
    just search this forum and google for "deinterlace" and you will get a lot of leads.

Quote Originally Posted by soda_popstar View Post
    I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with a Samsung SyncMaster 151s on a nVidia GeForce 2 MX video card. P4 1.5 GHz, 384 MB SDRAM (or somewhere around there). Basically, a pretty decent computer that should play back decent quality video. I'm using Ogle 0.8.5 with libdvdcss 1.2.6, which were installed via RPM from PLF.

My problem is that the video quality of my DVD movies aren't that great, no matter what distribution I use. I've tried it on Vector SOHO 3.2, Redhat 9.0, JAMD 0.0.6, Mandrake 9.1 and a few others too. But every time, the DVD quality isn't really up to par. It's fine in Windows XP though. It's not choppy or anything, just ... liney? It's hard to explain and I don't know how to take a screenshot of it.

Whenever there's any sudden motion in a video clip (e.g. performer running across stage), the video turns into these thin bands of lines where you can still see what's going on, but it's not really that pleasant to view. If somebody could show me how to take a screenshot of a video (I always end up with a window filled with blue), I'll show you what I mean. This isn't really a huge deal, but I'm wondering if this is due to me not properly configuring things or if it's a limitation of libdvdcss.

On another note, all other videos work fine.
    Fine, i the graphics really sucks after using libdvdcss when ripping with HandBrake. The DVD output is too blurry with horrible horizontal lines. I found an article which told me it was caused by interlacing as you can see in http://www.videoconverterfactory.com...nterlaced.html. I did what it said trying to fix it. But nothing really worked. The video is still blurry and the lines were still there. Did you guys have any ideas what it is?