I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with a Samsung SyncMaster 151s on a nVidia GeForce 2 MX video card. P4 1.5 GHz, 384 MB SDRAM (or somewhere around there). Basically, a pretty decent computer that should play back decent quality video. I'm using Ogle 0.8.5 with libdvdcss 1.2.6, which were installed via RPM from PLF.

My problem is that the video quality of my DVD movies aren't that great, no matter what distribution I use. I've tried it on Vector SOHO 3.2, Redhat 9.0, JAMD 0.0.6, Mandrake 9.1 and a few others too. But every time, the DVD quality isn't really up to par. It's fine in Windows XP though. It's not choppy or anything, just ... liney? It's hard to explain and I don't know how to take a screenshot of it.

Whenever there's any sudden motion in a video clip (e.g. performer running across stage), the video turns into these thin bands of lines where you can still see what's going on, but it's not really that pleasant to view. If somebody could show me how to take a screenshot of a video (I always end up with a window filled with blue), I'll show you what I mean. This isn't really a huge deal, but I'm wondering if this is due to me not properly configuring things or if it's a limitation of libdvdcss.

On another note, all other videos work fine.