OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

11/25/03

The nature of this topic has changed, drastically. What started off as a simple question, such as "Why not?" has become serious. More and more people come forward very frequently (every day the last 4 days). So, without further adieu, I am editing this thread to move the project into a home.

The homepage is http://www.freewebs.com/high-risk

We have a forum, an IRC channel, and a blog. Here is a description of the project currently code-named High-Risk:

We're talking fragment shaders in GL, OpenAL surround support, epic storyline, epic storytelling gameplay, motion physics, state of the art AI, and graphic vistas of level design.

Does anyone think that there is enough passion to start, sustain, and follow through for such a project?

Personally, given the talent I've seen what if folks like Tim Sweeney, icculus, and Carmack were to get involved? Is that plausible?
    What genius 3D programmers have enough passion for this? What artists have passion? What about modellers?

Is any of it possible?

If anyone knows of anything like this, let me know, I want to contribute!
    3D programmer here...

[edit 11-23-03]
    Apparently this sparked interest! I am listing those who have come forward right here. I guess this will be the forum to discuss things until we have coordinated an avenue of privacy to flesh out story/script details until the game is finished.

BaVinic - Site host
    mage492 - mirror/admin
    maje87c - 3D modelling
    MorphiusFaydal - potentially a level designer (status not certain)
    noctec - programming
    razzage - webmaster
    The Linux Kid - webmaster, documentation, testing

Necessities - Social Contract, website, Storyline, genre decision, technology decision, programming/tooling, content creation (characters, environment fleshouts), textures/level design, modelling, AI.

A more thorough timeline will be created as needed. Very soon though we should get a webhost and get serious about this. Keep in mind, if enough want to contribute, the project will flourish, if not it will die out and follow the rightful course of OSS. It's all about what we want, and how bad.

edit 11/25/03]
    Details on who is doing what will now be localized at the homepage. If you want to contribute, send me an email markj@nctelecom.net or show up on the forums at our homepage!
    Last edited by DFo3D; 11-26-2003 at 03:10 PM.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

I would say get allthe guys at Ion Storm, Legend Entertainment, Epic Games, Digital Extremes, VALVe, Gearbox, and Bungie to work togehter and make an open-source game..

really, there really isnt much hope of getting a game like you describe built in open source and distributed. it just takes too much time and energy to make such a game, and by that time, you will probably want to make some money out of it, and what better way to do that than to licence out your gmae engine and ask for lotsa cash..

i might be wrong..

but i wouldnt get my hopes up..

Chris

EDIT: obviously, i am wrong...

Okay, for all you people that are just readin this: our website is http://highrisk-game.sourceforge.net
    the forums are linked to from here

the name of our project is Project: High Risk. that is the final name (we hope)

we are making our own engine, and we are calling it KISS

maccorin is the lead developer and head of the coding dept.

our IRC channel is on irc.freenode.net, #highrisk-game, this is where most of our discussions go on.

seoushi is in charge of the webpage

um...

oh.. we need volunteers to help us in just about every department (writing, art, coding, sound, web) well.. writing and web dont really need any help.. but the rest of us do..

well.. thats the project as of February 17, 2004

come check us out!

Chris
    Last edited by MorphiusFaydal; 02-17-2004 at 07:47 PM.
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

Personally I like the idea, but what you should do, is start your own project, create the concept, write the first draft of a script for the game, some story boards would be kewl ( even hand drawn and scanned in) outline the plot, come up with ideas for charactors, settings, etc. create all this, show the Open Source community that you are serious about it, and have given it a lot of thought, and planning, and I bet a lot of programmers, graphic artisit, music writers etc would join the project. but as far as I know, there is nothing like this happening right now.

I would be willing to join in, I can even host the site if needed ( although getting it on Sourceforge would net you more contacts) but let me know.

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

On a company level I wouldn't want, nor expect anyone to get involved, but on a strictly personal volunteer basis.

Surely there must be a willing group out there, that can even take advantage of an open source 3D engine.

Look at the whole mod scene. Plus, this could turn into a type of consortium, what pro game developer won't want to take someone who had alot of influence and demonstrated his/her talent on such a project?

[edit]
    Novel idea? YES!

Too utopian and unrealistic....unfortunately yes as well.

But I would like to ask if anyone is interested in such a project. It is not the final product that matters, but the journey making it is as I see it.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)

Registered user 292384

OK, I think something like this sort of exists. I came across something called The Guild on another linux site. http://theguild.linuxgames.com/

Maybe this is what you are looking for.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

I AM interested in helping, but there really aren't any ways in which I could contribute. I know someone who might be interested in doing a storyline (she used to work for a small game company), but the high-end graphics, sound, etc. would all be over my head. The best I could probably do would be to mirror the site, downloads, etc. If you need help on that kind of stuff, though, I'd be happy to!

When I see her next, though, I'd be more than happy to talk to her about it. What kind of a game would this be? RPG, FPS, Platform, Flight simulator? (My vote goes to RPG, personally, but I'll leave that up to the prople who know what they're doing.)

As MorphiusFaydal mentioned, you're going to have to look for programmers who would want to put that much work into an open-source project, but I'm sure they're out there! (After all, Linus got the ball rolling on a whole open-source kernel!)

I'm not sure you could get any interest out of programmers from major companies, but try getting hobby-programmers. You want people who aren't really looking to make a massive profit. As mentioned, I'll help where I can, and I'll see about someone to do storyline (though I have to know what genre of game this would be, first).
    It's no slower now than it was when you bought it!

Yeah I know what you mean. Funny thing is, of the coveted talent Microsoft was suppose to have, hobbyists totally sch00led them on security and functionality.

A project like this has to be feasible with a few hundred people contributing to it. Everything from high level programming to voice acting.

Also, to web hosting (thanks mage, RPG? who knows, as long as its alot of fun is what counts!)

I know OpenGL fairly well, I use to program some driver functions on nVidia drivers back when I worked for CreativeLabs (I was part of the team that created the stencil shaders patch for Unreal and eventually Creative's Unified driver (glide wrapper)
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)

Registered user 292384

I'd love to help but I know very little code(some perl, some html). I could write and/or do concept art though. Also, if you know of any good open source modelling programs that work in windows(and linux), I could do 3d modeling.

It seems people are not adverse to trying.

I just wonder how to get the right people's attention.

So far, I have gotten some folks attention.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)

Registered user 292384

Originally posted by maje87c
    I'd love to help but I know very little code(some perl, some html). I could write and/or do concept art though. Also, if you know of any good open source modelling programs that work in windows(and linux), I could do 3d modeling.
    Blender Linux-PPC&x86, Windows, FreeBSD, Mac OSX, Solaris...

its a pretty good modeling program, but i dont know if its open source.. its free though...

yeah..

If i had any skills that could help with a game, i would gladly help out, but unfortunatly, except for some simple UnrealED 1,2 and 3 skills, i dont have any skills...

Still.. if you do get such a project going, good luck on it, and uh, post the website for it here, i would love to watch the development process and who knows? i may eventually have something to contribute..

yeah..

again, GOOD LUCK!!

Chris
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

Just ideas at this point.

Maybe I will put up a website.....
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)

Registered user 292384

Originally posted by MorphiusFaydal
    I would say get allthe guys at Ion Storm, Legend Entertainment, Epic Games, Digital Extremes, VALVe, Gearbox, and Bungie to work togehter and make an open-source game..
    CliffyB, Warren Spector and John Carmack working on the same game...*drool*

If you need a writer, I'll write down the next dream I have...they have been REALLY weird lately!
    Something in my coffee?

Feel free to use the forum on my site if you'd like...otherwise I'll be removing it
    I guess a direct link would help

JohnC and Cliff working on the same game would be kind of odd. I think they would clash horribly...both egos are too huge.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)

Registered user 292384

awesome idea

I would love to help. I've worked on a few mods for unreal tounament (starcraftUT) got shut down by blizzard and also hunters for jedi knight 2 but it got shut down as well. I'm not all that great of a programmer but am pretty fluent in C++.
    The lesson of the DMCA is that
    purchased legislation tends to be
    lop-sided.

Don't forget Cube , the open source first person shooter engine.

Looks nice
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.