OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

Thread: OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

Threaded View

OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

11/25/03

The nature of this topic has changed, drastically. What started off as a simple question, such as "Why not?" has become serious. More and more people come forward very frequently (every day the last 4 days). So, without further adieu, I am editing this thread to move the project into a home.

The homepage is http://www.freewebs.com/high-risk

We have a forum, an IRC channel, and a blog. Here is a description of the project currently code-named High-Risk:

We're talking fragment shaders in GL, OpenAL surround support, epic storyline, epic storytelling gameplay, motion physics, state of the art AI, and graphic vistas of level design.

Does anyone think that there is enough passion to start, sustain, and follow through for such a project?

Personally, given the talent I've seen what if folks like Tim Sweeney, icculus, and Carmack were to get involved? Is that plausible?
    What genius 3D programmers have enough passion for this? What artists have passion? What about modellers?

Is any of it possible?

If anyone knows of anything like this, let me know, I want to contribute!
    3D programmer here...

[edit 11-23-03]
    Apparently this sparked interest! I am listing those who have come forward right here. I guess this will be the forum to discuss things until we have coordinated an avenue of privacy to flesh out story/script details until the game is finished.

BaVinic - Site host
    mage492 - mirror/admin
    maje87c - 3D modelling
    MorphiusFaydal - potentially a level designer (status not certain)
    noctec - programming
    razzage - webmaster
    The Linux Kid - webmaster, documentation, testing

Necessities - Social Contract, website, Storyline, genre decision, technology decision, programming/tooling, content creation (characters, environment fleshouts), textures/level design, modelling, AI.

A more thorough timeline will be created as needed. Very soon though we should get a webhost and get serious about this. Keep in mind, if enough want to contribute, the project will flourish, if not it will die out and follow the rightful course of OSS. It's all about what we want, and how bad.

edit 11/25/03]
    Details on who is doing what will now be localized at the homepage. If you want to contribute, send me an email markj@nctelecom.net or show up on the forums at our homepage!
    Last edited by DFo3D; 11-26-2003 at 03:10 PM.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384