OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

My name is Raz and i would like to help contribute.

I am not adept at game development, but as a gaming enthusiast and skilled webmaster i'd be willing to help contribute in other ways.
    e-mail is jedigam3r@hotmail.com

count me in.

Raz
    There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

Does anyone think that there is enough passion to start, sustain, and follow through for such a project?
    The answer is yes.

Check out these 15 awesome open source games developed for linux:

Tux Racer
    Racer
    PlaneShift
    Dark Places
    Arkanae
    Asteroid Arena
    Arkhart
    Boson
    Daimonin
    Scorched 3D
    Mistlands
    Transfusion
    Dungeon Game
    Alteria
    Open Quartz

I found everyone of these except for Open Quartz at the Linux Game Tome; for you game developers, I found Free Game Arts.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by hydan; 11-21-2003 at 02:43 AM.

You sould also check Crystal Space 3D SDK. There's your engine

Racer and PlaneShift seem to be the open source projects that might get some Windows gamers to switch to linux. After all, you can play most Windows games on linux, plus a whole lot more. Being able to create awesome looking cars in Racer is very appealing!
    Last edited by hydan; 11-21-2003 at 03:50 AM.

I'm going to postulate that a top down heirarchy would work better with a creative project like a game... with something like an OS, everyone has a job, and a goal... and there are certain functionalities everyone knows need to be implemented... with something creative, i think there is a lot of room for argumentation... i suspect that a game built through OSS would end up forking so much nothing would get done :-)

if you had a strong leader tho, i suppose a cooperative team could get something done...

and, following that, if the "everyone sees something different that could be done" doesn't end with the group breaking up, i could see so many awesome features implemented, the game would be jawdropping...
    "...the TCO for the Windows Server System was about 20% less expensive than Linux."
    --Keith Morrow, CIO, 7-Eleven, Inc

"We got to market 6 months faster, and saw 14 percent in cost savings over Linux."
    --Owen Flynn, CTO, Equifax, Inc

Microsoft Server System, Get the facts!

Well, here's where this is at (if this is an it, or whatever)

A social contract, a general idea and/or storyline needs to be fleshed out. Everything needs to go around it. We need to use our imagination, set it as high as we want it to go, then work on making that vision possible.

For inspiration, what about earlier games did you like, and what did you hate that they left out the most?

This is where the ideas come from, what hasn't been done yet that we all want?
    Don't say it's all been done, because game devs find a way to make that happen, and those are always the ones who make it big. We all know how motivating greed can be, but we also know that passion motivates far more, and captivates far more.

Just to kick that discussion off, what I found missing in Halo, Deus Ex, and HalfLife was a true connection to the characters. How can we move a person to be connected with the universe? Deus Ex came closest I would think. I also want to see a fleshed out story that is more than a conspiracy.

To create an entropy of sorts, would be a way to create a sense of loss with developed characters, as to move a person would be a place to start. Just an idea of mine is to look at what would happen if our solar system had a killswitch put on it, and it's up to player to figure out what to do about it, with only him and a select few knowing about it by accident. What would FEMA do if they realized our sun was going to turn into a red giant and consume Earth's orbit in 15 years?
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

If you need some documentation or another webmaster, count me in! (i can also test for you)

I like fast paced action thrillers like CounterStrike etc. I really hate the basic map packs for CounterStrike, so make sure the maps are good.

If anyone needs to contact me privatly, don't PM me, I never bother looking. My e-mail (checked daily) is:

thelinuxkid@tpj.cjb.net
    I love Linux
    Registered Linux user #318372

Count me in as well.

Judging from the games that have been mentioned,
    the game's genre looks to be an action adventure game, which sounds right up my ally!

The best thing I like about computer games are the stories. I imagine a computer game almost like a movie, I want a good story, or else I loose interest quick. A lot of twists make stories great. For instance, something takes place early, and then something else takes place later that really throws a loop into the story, and something unimaginable happens at the end.

Coming from DFo3D's original post, I say we give this project a code name, 'High Risk' anyone?

The three most important things to making a popular game would be:

Online play
    Windows, Linux, and (if you can) Mac compatible. Windows compatibility is a must if it is online, otherwise there wouldn't be enough people playing to make it good online.
    Decide whether it is an multiplayer game with single player function, a single player game with multiplayer function, or a multiplayer only game, early on, as this will majorly effect how the game would have to be designed and programmed.

Thumbs up

Count me in, I don't know what I can help on, but maybe something will come up. Maybe just passing the word from mouth to mouth... Or should I say, keyboard to keyboard?

Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

I choose single player and multiplayer game. What does everyone else think?

Some things to focus on for the:
    single player mode: great story.
    multiplayer mode: customization.
    Overall game: bug-free; easy to learn, but hard to master.

Can anyone think of some more things to focus on?

I think that the saturation of multiplayer focused games is pretty high. I personally wouldn't want another one. However rich SP games seem to be limited lately.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

Wink T

I think the game shouldn't be all too gorey either....
    keep it within the 'T for teen' area ... O.K?
    penguins ROCK!!

I would definitely be interested in helping. All my experience has been in writing database apps and control systems programs (using Delphi and C++) for the company I work for but I would like to broaden my horizons some and program something that doesn't put me to sleep. I am fluent in C++ and have some knowledge of OpenGL (although I've never really used it for anything). I love simulators, and first person shooters but will program anything. Let me know if I can help... My email is warbuff20@cinci.rr.com
    The Age of Windoze is ending. The Age of Linux has begun.

Originally posted by DFo3D
    I think that the saturation of multiplayer focused games is pretty high. I personally wouldn't want another one. However rich SP games seem to be limited lately.
    I second that! My "linux" computer doesn't have an internet connection.... but it has a pretty good GFX card... but all these cool games seem to always be online!!
    penguins ROCK!!