OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

I would say 3d FPS with a amazing storline in single player, and excellent maps in multiplayer

as soon as i can get some time to learn, im gonna teach myself some practical C/C++ and OpenGL, along w/ about 5 other thing languages..

SO... ill help.. i just wont be able to do any coding in the beginning..

PM me or email me.. morphius_faydal 'at' myrealbox.com

Chris
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

BaVinic - Site host
    mage492 - mirror/admin
    maje87c - 3D modelling
    MorphiusFaydal - potentially a level designer (status not certain)
    noctec - programming
    razzage - webmaster
    The Linux Kid - webmaster, documentation, testing
    other positions available:
    producer
    director
    content supervisor
    artists
    animator
    world designer(s)
    game designer(s)
    software engineer(s)
    music editor/sound designer
    programmers
    writer

Did I miss anything?

We need to decide on a game engine to use. Also, I propose we get an IRC channel started so we can discuss some of these subjects.

I'm so excited about this project!
    Last edited by hydan; 11-24-2003 at 06:14 PM.

I'm of no help with game programming or most any programming. But dude, I'm so envious of the dual Opteron setup.

Analogy:

Duff Beer is to Homer Simpson, as Dual Opteron processors are to Floog.

mmmm......Opterons......mmmm......two of dem.

Floog

DFo3D Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    I miss MDWatts. He was knowledgeable, thoughtful, and genuinely enjoyed sharing his talents with others.

I have an idea for the story. The story can almost parralel the linux vs. M$ battle, almost like a David and Goliath story.

Just brain storming here:
    Near impossible odds, but the character(s) do remakable things to beat them.
    SCO(obviously wouldn't use the names of these corporations) could be the obvious crooks(aka pesks) to everyobody in the game universe, but little does everyoone know that the mega corporation M$ is tied in w/ SCO.
    The main character(s) would be out to defeat those companies and reveal the truth to the rest of the world.

I like the IRC idea.

This project just may yet happen. I'm going to get into a few IRC's with some devs and drop the idea. I'm good friends with Alexander Brandon of EpicGames (I've worked with him on a couple things) and see if he wants to contribute.

He did the menu music for DX2.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

Originally posted by hydan
    We need to decide on a game engine to use. Also, I propose we get an IRC channel started so we can discuss some of these subjects.

I'm so excited about this project!
    im excited too!!

irc.freenode.net #highrisk-game anyone?

Originally posted by hydan
    I have an idea for the story. The story can almost parralel the linux vs. M$ battle, almost like a David and Goliath story.

Just brain storming here:
    Near impossible odds, but the character(s) do remakable things to beat them.
    SCO(obviously wouldn't use the names of these corporations) could be the obvious crooks(aka pesks) to everyobody in the game universe, but little does everyoone know that the mega corporation M$ is tied in w/ SCO.
    The main character(s) would be out to defeat those companies and reveal the truth to the rest of the world.
    Microsoft is the big evil corporation, SCO is M$'s hired cronies, and the JLC members are the Linux crusaders, uncovering evil plots by Bill Gates to take over the world.

Something like the original Deus Ex...

yeah....

Chris

Originally posted by DFo3D
    I like the IRC idea.

This project just may yet happen. I'm going to get into a few IRC's with some devs and drop the idea. I'm good friends with Alexander Brandon of EpicGames (I've worked with him on a couple things) and see if he wants to contribute.

He did the menu music for DX2.
    do that..

i havnt heard the DX2 menu music.. i cant get the blasted demo to run on my video card.. (GF2 MX400 64MB).. so i ordered a new one friday night.. (GF FX 5200 256MB).. itll be here day after tommorow.. then i can play the demo..

Chris

Thumbs up

Ok, I think that we should focus on the storyline as soon as we get the IRC channel set up. I offer myself to write it. Based on comments and suggestions from all of you geeks.

I could also translate the game storyline and overall texts to spanish.

the AMGeeX.
    Last edited by amgeex; 11-24-2003 at 08:54 PM.
    Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

ive got #highrisk-game up in my XChat session right now..

i am the only person on there right now.. so that makes me the mod i would register it.. but i dont know how..

amgeex: if you think you can right a good story.. i would say go for it..

Chris

High Risk IRC channel

Thanks Morphius for getting the channel up!
    Last edited by hydan; 11-24-2003 at 09:16 PM.

Ok, I'll try to lay the bases for the story tonight. And maybe tomorrow I'll have something. I also have some stories that I never finished, gotta search for them, one is like Matrix/Ghost in the Shell like, and the other is like Diablo stuff, not to ripped off though. I'll set up a web page for those two and for the new one. Um, but first gotta find them....

Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

i just ripped the DX2 music out of the demo..

IT ROCKS!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

If we can get music like this in our game.. oh heck yes...

Chris

RIGHT

I have registered the IRC channel

irc.freenode.net
    #highrisk-game

there you go...

come on down..

Chris

I won't be able to come in until later on tonight, work and such.

I am kind of opposed to the whole MS thing, yet the concepts all sound cool. There needs to be more than just corporate fraud though.

Remember, an FPS usually means shooting, this needs to be based on principles worth dying and killing for. Linux and SCO type situations really aren't.

Yet, a massive heatwave, followed by farmers in a crisis from a lack of proper irrigation, and the governments all saying nothing is wrong but a long drought, when really our sun is a timebomb, sounds somewhat cooler.

Terrorist breakouts, terrorist organizations fighting the government for not telling the truth, stealing food bombing the WTO etc,

Just an idea, not too closely modelled after deus ex though. The principle behind Deus Ex was rather simple, control. A theme more oriented towards survival would be much more complicated.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

Originally posted by DFo3D
    I won't be able to come in until later on tonight, work and such.

I am kind of opposed to the whole MS thing, yet the concepts all sound cool. There needs to be more than just corporate fraud though.

Remember, an FPS usually means shooting, this needs to be based on principles worth dying and killing for. Linux and SCO type situations really aren't.

Yet, a massive heatwave, followed by farmers in a crisis from a lack of proper irrigation, and the governments all saying nothing is wrong but a long drought, when really our sun is a timebomb, sounds somewhat cooler.

Terrorist breakouts, terrorist organizations fighting the government for not telling the truth, stealing food bombing the WTO etc,

Just an idea, not too closely modelled after deus ex though. The principle behind Deus Ex was rather simple, control. A theme more oriented towards survival would be much more complicated.
    thats what im going for.. a not too far in the future-set game in which Bill GAtes is angling to become dictator of the world.. corruption on a global, corporate scale..

terrorist.. definatly...

conspiracy theories... the more the better..

high-tech weapons... most certainly..

biomods? hows about not.. too close to DX..

cool stuff to do.. oh yeah..

but we need to figure out what we are doing first..

we need to get a forum of our own up somewhere.. so we arnt so dependant on the JLC forums..

Chris