OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

what does everybody think to using the Cystal Space 3D engine??

im just looking at it right now.. and it seems pretty nice..

unless we can find something better/right our own..

Chris
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

I'm thinking yes to these ideas from DFo3D and Morphius:
    Terrorist breakouts, terrorist organizations fighting the government for not telling the truth,
    A theme more oriented towards survival would be much more complicated.

corruption on a global, corporate scale..
    terrorist.. definatly...
    conspiracy theories... the more the better..
    high-tech weapons... most certainly..
    The big corporations wouldn't be named M$ and SCO. The player wouldn't be fighting for liscensing rights, but for something similar to what you mentioned DFo3D.

I can get us some forums up right now if you guys would like. They would be phpbb(just like these) instead of Invision though.

BaVinic, will your server be able to host forums?

these forums are actually vBulletin, the Gentoo forums are phpBB2 though..

everybody.. go listen to the DX2 menu music..

DX2 Main Menu Music in .ogg format..

Chris

'bout to set up a blog for the storyline 'n stuff. I'll post in a while with the address.
    Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

The Crystal Space 3d engine looks great! But, can it handle a FPS game?
    Last edited by hydan; 11-24-2003 at 10:09 PM.

I'd say we use the cube game engine, does a good job with FPS, and with a bit of tweaking, it could do wonders. As a plus, it has very efficient netcode for multiplayer sessions.

The blog is up at: this page

Will enhance it in a while.

Also, the Cube Game Engine page is at:
    this page

the AMGeeX (also Hellspawn on the blog).
    Last edited by amgeex; 11-24-2003 at 10:20 PM.
    Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

Technology wise I have a few concerns. Since there is only one equivalent to HLSL for Linux, that is cg.

I want to be able to use technology that lets me write custom shaders and potentially a back end for GeForceFX cards.

With Crystal Space, they appear to be just using stencil buffer shadows. This isn't as reliable as using the stencil buffer to just do vertex blending. If you do it that way, you can utilize the CPU/GPU combo to perform shadowing operations. This would help performace ALOT.

For example, in the combined CPU/GPU approach, the CPU does silhouette determination while the GPU does silhouette extrusion. The geometry is prepared so that each vertex used for shadow casting comes in 2 versions, one time as (x, y, z, 0) and another time as (x, y, z, 1). One of these will get projected away from the lightsource while the other ones remain unaltered. Exactly which version of the vertices gets projected, the ones with w = 0 or the ones with w = 1, is an arbitrary implementation choice. The task of the CPU is to write an index buffer that references the proper vertices to make up a shadow volume, a front cap, or a back cap.

I would ask the GPU to perform something like the following algorithm (properly coded with appropriate, but not sure so don't hold me to it
    x' = x - lx
    y' = y - ly
    z' = z - lz
    w' = 0

Then with a matrix reformulation you can selectively choose what transforms you can affect (the models polygons for instance) so that you know what eyespace you are dealing with.

I'm rambling on, but from what I've seen Crystal Space would need something like that added to it. In addition, I would also want to add some kind of reactive hair/limb system (kind of like ragdoll) but alot more fluidic and real looking. I am thinking of my primary example system to follow would be the soft body simulation principles as described here Crystal Space is great and all, but these are things to think of, they may be far fetched, but appropriate shadowing volumes, physics, body simulation (for that matter emotion simulation) are things to consider with the notion in mind development may be long and drawn out (heh, or rapid if enough interest arises

What do you guys think though?
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

• Engine Stuff for Project: High Risk:
    • ??

just say stuff..

and they get added..

Chris

Please, when the official page for Project: High Risk is up, please let me know so I can add it to the blog's link section.

- Albert Einstein

Hey..here is one other possible engine to use. I've looked at it before and it seemed pretty capable and easier to understand than Crystal Space:

http://ogre.sourceforge.net/

Like I said before I would love to help code...I would like the experience of writing a game. I've tried starting on my own and can never get anywhere. Plus it sounds like you actually have good ideas for a story already.
    The Age of Windoze is ending. The Age of Linux has begun.

I've had a really nice game idea if you're interested, been thinking "Hey, this would be a great open-source game" for ages.

Basically, the game is like a cross between a FPS and a racing sim. You (ideally) have 3-4 players, each with a specific role.

These four players are in a car.

One player is the driver of the car.... he just drives the car around.

The second role would be gunner. The gunner has a gun (surprise, surprise) and defends the car by firing at enemy vehicles. The interface for the gunner would be somewhat like the arcade game, Time Crises, where holding down the space bar would stick the player's head out the window, allowing him to fire, while releasing it would have the player withdraw into the car and close the door/roll up the window.

A third, optional role would be a commander/navigator, a guy with a map who would do as the name implies.

I also thought players could play multiple roles, etc.

What do you think?

In addition to game design, I can help with music and maybe modelling.
    Last edited by roamingnomad; 11-25-2003 at 02:20 AM.
    . : My Blog : : System specs (scroll down) : : Screenshots : .

"The world is like a giant puzzle; it's always easiest to fit where you belong."

Forgot to say that I can help with music. I may not be that good at it, but I have a MIDI keyboard and mixer etc.

I am very excited.

Also, I can't find the channel on irc!

The Linux Kid
    I love Linux
    Registered Linux user #318372

I did some voice work for a halflife mod.

I have a very flat matter of fact voice; it works well for commands IE radio comlink type stuff. or the computer voice.

The Prologue for the storyline is out on the blog, you might want to read it and comment on it. It has elements from all the comments here: BIg, greedy corporations, unusual Solar activity, a great catatstrophe, etc.

- Albert Einstein

Visit the High Risk temporary home page. I figure it will do good enough until one of the web gurus can come up w/ something spectacular. Thanks Morphius for making the image.

In my own little perfect game, I imagine levels from all over the world. Amgeex, in your storyline, it seems everything is wiped out, and only cities remain; no trees, or habitation. I would like a story that allowed the character to: visit snow,mountain, tropical forests/swamp, underwater levels, levels w/caves, or board a ship. I need some verifacation or correction from you, but I don't think your story allows the character to go to all of those type of places.
    Last edited by hydan; 11-25-2003 at 12:18 PM.