OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game? - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OpenSource Community can create an OS, what about a cutting edge high-risk game?

I'd love to help out with this project. I'm a decent programmer and crazy fast learner of all things computer related. I've also got some level design experience.

Here's my first contribution:

I always enjoyed games were it felt like the decisions I made as a player really affected the game world. I don't mean damaging building and leaving bullet holes in walls, but something like a faction system so that if you're working with the "Terrorists" and you repeatedly kill innocents that eventually terrosit contacts shun you are forced to progress through the game without access to the aid they would have provided. Also alternate storylines and endings based on the players style are great.

Ok, the storyline in the blog doesn't show ALL of the world I'm imaginig. Snowed mountains do exist, also airships which hover over water at high speeds exist as they are the main transport media. And be sure you'll get underwater levels,.

I'll write more in a while.

P.S. Who's hosting the temporary site?
    Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

FreeWebs It's just a free web site hosting company, nobody specific yet.

I've got a little Apache server that I occasionally host my families and friends sites on if that could help out at all. It's currently hiding on a residential Cable modem that is "supposedly rated at 2mb down 128-256k up" . Anyway through the wonders of www.noip.com it doesn't matter how often the IP address changes server will still be there. Anyways just e-mail me at Jgoslin@bellsouth.net if I can help with the hosting at all.

oh yeah I also have a forum running there as well it's using phpBB, but obviously we've got the forum and blog angle covered.
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+
    512mb Mushkin DDR PC2100
    Radeon 9500 Pro
    SB Audigy 2
    Win XP Pro / Fedora Core 1

Hail

I just read the the whole thread and it's a nice idea )

I'm already in your IRC channel

Tho i'm not a programmer i'm good at ideas and storyline so i would like to contribute in that way

Send me an email at jazzyjazz@clanefl.com if u'r interested or looking for another gut to work on the story

My personal opinion on the game type is:

The story line seems good, but I'm thinking that on a weapon fighting basis try not to make guns that are just huge and blow everything away. And make the game not have cheats. I hate games that have cheats because then they loose the point and just go for god mode. Also, a final fantasy style RPG is where it's at I think. I love those games.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea. And I'll do whatever I can to help. I'm no good with programming because im just learning, but let me tell you, I have a wicked imagination. So i'll help think up the story line if theres room for another. I would love to be a part of something like this because i belive that it's going to be huge when it gets rolling.

True that's the whole power of open-source thinking

Nowerdays games are just a repacking of old games and ideas put in a new shoebow and sold over not speaking of the never-ending sequels and movie transportation.

I think this can be a good startpoint to change this wave of games

Talking forum

The "Project High Risk" Forum is here-->
    http://h-r.fragism.com/gl-bin/forum/
    HEAD ON OVER!
    penguins ROCK!!

The story line seems good, but I'm thinking that on a weapon fighting basis try not to make guns that are just huge and blow everything away.
    Well, maybe we can make the big weapons have some type of disadvantage, such as a slow recall and not a lot of ammunition? We do need some big weapons in the game.

And make the game not have cheats. I hate games that have cheats because then they loose the point and just go for god mode.
    In some games, I like cheats, but only if the players I'm playing against have them as well. In single player, after playing through a fps game, cheats are a must.

Also, a final fantasy style RPG is where it's at I think. I love those games.
    I think everyone is leading toward an action adventure game. But that brings up an interesting point, should we have a vote to see what type of game we are going to have? This is an OS community project, shouldn't everyone have a say(vote)?

Here are the Official Links:

Blog: here
    HomePage:here
    Forums: http://h-r.fragism.com/gl-bin/forum/

Check 'em out!
    Last edited by amgeex; 11-25-2003 at 03:16 PM.
    Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

democracy

I think a vote would be nice. could someone just start a thread with a vote on the different style games. we could have a one week deadline on the voting. that way the thread doesnt get huge for no reason, lol.

on a side note, i like the idea of "big guns" with disadvantages. And maybe for cheats (or helpers...) just make it so they aren't available online.... unless the server allows them.

I should porbably start using the real forum and not this one. lol.

any criticism on my ideas is more than welcomed.

Lightbulb decide the fate of high risk!

I've started a thread/poll on the High Risk Forums to decide what kind of game It should be..
    http://h-r.fragism.com/gl-bin/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5
    PLLLEEEEAAASSSSEE VOTE!
    penguins ROCK!!

Well, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. This has already been discussed, until we have had a real discussion with everyone present, I don't really want to see a decision on what type of genre we are working with.
    Specs:
    Dually Opteron 246's
    1GB DDRDRAM (400)
    OS - Gentoo 1.4 KDE 2.6 test9 64-bit kernel
    games - UT2k3, Q3A, SSE/2, RtCw,UT, Tribes 2, Homeworld - natively

Under Wine - HalfLife, Homeworld Cataclysm, Max Payne

Registered user 292384

count me in

I'm looking at this stuff and its exciting. I'd love to join. I can code and have some ideas
    Gentoo, Pentium 3 1000 Mhz, 500 MB Ram, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR AGP 8x using Nvidia drivers, Sound Blaster PCI = Esoniq 5880 AudioPCI (es1371), HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter = RealTek RTL-8139, SMC EZ Card

Want to check the storyline? It's right here.

Check it out!!!

- Albert Einstein