The MAIN "Which Browser" thread. (Please post here) - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The MAIN "Which Browser" thread. (Please post here)

i agree, mozilla firefox is the one of the best, the security is good and holes are being patched almost instantly (as far as i know) works brill in all distro of linux and windows.
    Linux people are good people

Homebuilt Computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    200GB SATA Hard Drive (80GB & 120GB)
    Nvidia G-Force FX 5200 dual moniter
    Nvidia N-Force 2 chipset mb
    768 MB DDR Ram
    DVD-RW 16x
    CD-RW 54x
    CD-Rom
    With suse 9.2 Pro

Omnibook 900 laptop with XP Pro and Suse 9.2 Pro

Originally posted by xlilo
    i agree, mozilla firefox is the one of the best, the security is good and holes are being patched almost instantly (as far as i know) works brill in all distro of linux and windows.
    Xlilo, how old are you, if you don't mind me asking? You sound smart for your age for some reason.
    I use Linux because failure is not an option.

My box:
    SuSE 9.0 Pro
    Intel P4 1.5ghz
    768mb Ram PC-133
    40gb HDD
    Counter-Strike Server: 66.58.59.138:27015

i dont mined you asking, im 20 (same age as you), my spelling is pretty bad but im good with computer and newish with linux, why do you ask?.
    Last edited by xlilo; 08-20-2004 at 02:36 AM.
    Linux people are good people

Homebuilt Computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    200GB SATA Hard Drive (80GB & 120GB)
    Nvidia G-Force FX 5200 dual moniter
    Nvidia N-Force 2 chipset mb
    768 MB DDR Ram
    DVD-RW 16x
    CD-RW 54x
    CD-Rom
    With suse 9.2 Pro

Omnibook 900 laptop with XP Pro and Suse 9.2 Pro

Only browser I like is Firefox. And that's the one I use.

Anyone remember Mosaic? Does it still even exist?
    I have used Firefox since it came out and Try not to use anything else except at work where I can't.

Originally posted by GmarAppledude
    Anyone remember Mosaic? Does it still even exist?
    I have used Firefox since it came out and Try not to use anything else except at work where I can't.
    Mosaic...sure...which version do you want....the one from "National Center for Supercomputing Applications", QuarterDeck, SpryNet or Spyglass (the Windows IE Pre-cursor)

Get 'em' all...... http://browsers.evolt.org/
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I remember Mosaic, it was the first browser that I ever used. I had the version produced by the National Center for Supercomputing Applications. Today I use Firefox at home and at work. The only time I use IE is at the university labs and that's only because I have to.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Yeah, I just mentioned Mosaic as it was my first introduction to the net (fond memories as a fresher), didn't know there were different versions though. I think I'll stick to Firefox for the time being though.

Is it possible to get M$ internet explorer working under wine or glade? Just curious, since some places like animecrave require it.

It should work with wine, at least according to this: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?...343f8391526aca Haven't tried it myself however.

Originally posted by Omnscnt(Sortof)
    Is it possible to get M$ internet explorer working under wine or glade? Just curious, since some places like animecrave require it.
    talk to brandon.. he runs ie in wine, last time i checked
    -----------------------
    "I wouldn't say there are no stable character attributes in a person
    that contribute to moral or immoral behavior, but they are far
    outweighed by where the person is, at what time, and with whom."
    -Lee Ross, coauthor of "The Person and the Situation: Perspectives
    of Social Psychology"

Registered Linux user number 332965

I use Firefox by preference, though a recent development has led me to ask a question about Konquerer.

First off, I'm still a Linux n00b and in the process of migrating from Windows XP. So far, I'm limiting myself to a dual-boot system and trying out different flavors of Linux. Mepis 6.0 was my first plunge into the Linux world beyond the live CD version and it's nice. However, I'm thinking about installing PCLinuxOS 0.93a "MimiMe" which is just a bare bones Linux system that I'll need to customize to my taste (which I like the sound of). Anyway, it doesn't come with anything other than Konquerer which leads to my question(s):

When compared to Firefox, how does Konquerer stand up?

Are there extensions/plugins which can increase its functionality like there are for Firefox?

How does Konquerer handle popups?

I like to surf, so am I better off installing Firefox or can I get away with just using Konquerer?

Thanks for any input on this.

personally I like opera, it's just so beautiful to use once you get used to it. It's the supreme ruler of all tabbed browsing and, as far as I know, it pretty much invented it. I also love the mouse gestures and predictive forward. I read lots of webcomics so when I'm reading a back catalogue it's nice to just be using the forward mouse gesture instead of finding the next button. I also love the integrated bit torrent client, even if it is a bit of a resource hog. It looks like they're getting on the extensions bandwagon with these widgets but we'll see how that pans out. The only firefox extension I ever used (apart from all the ones to make it act even slightly as well as opera) was foxytunes and I do all that from irssi scripts now so it's not really an issue.

I know it's not FOSS but it is very good and there is a community which the programers seem to take into account.

I also use firefox in wine so I can see new flash stuff. If a website needs something that firefox in wine can't handle, then I don't care about it.
    Just remember: Heaven is for the hedonist

Shadebug- registered linux user #379039

Everyone dogs on Safari. I understand all the arguments, but I just can't get in to the interface of Firefox.

I know all the technical things that make firefox better, but 99% if the websites I visit all look better and I can navigate through them easier with Safari.

Just my two...
    Last edited by BruceKP; 04-06-2008 at 10:23 PM.