Getting Network Card to work?

Thread: Getting Network Card to work?

Getting Network Card to work?

I have been given an old pc (166) and so I formatted the HD.
    I installed Redhat 9 as a server. The pc already has a network card. How do I know if the Network card is working? The network card is a Delta LANF7236G, does anyone know if Redhat is compatiable with this card?

Thanks.

Log in as root user or type "su -" from terminal (without the quotation marks).

Then type "ifconfig" (without quotation marks) to see your network card config. There should be one with eth0. If not, its not working.

Google for Linux is a good resource. Just type in the model number of the card, and it will bring up resources where others may have had issues or success with that particular card.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Typed "su -" and got the following
    Link encap: local loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.01
    Mask255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPINGBACK RUNNING
    MTU:16436
    Metric: 1
    RX packets:10
    errors:0
    dropped:0
    overruns:0
    frame:0
    TX packets:10
    errors:0
    dropped:0
    overruns:0
    frame:0
    collisions:0
    txqueuelen:
    RX bytes:700 (700.0 b) TX bytes:700 (700.0 b)

I can't see eth0.

I also downloaded the driver from:
    http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/42/42246.htm
    Downloaded the file: de220.exe
    The following directories were created:
    MSLANMAN.DOS
    MSLANMAN.OS2
    NDIS2
    NETWARE
    NT35
    NT40
    PKTDRV
    SETUP
    WIN9X

Unfortunately no sign of a linux driver. From what everyone has told me this card is not supported and the chances of finding a driver are looking slim.

Lastlyl I went to google.com/linux but I couldn't find anything on the network card.
    If anyone has any other suggestions I'd try anything.
    Thanks.

Using the root account, type "lspci" (w/o quotation marks) and see if your network card is listed.

If it is, do the following:-

# ifconfig 192.168.1.2 eth0
    # ifconfig

After ifconfig, you should see 19.168.1.2 assigned to eth0.

Sadly the network card wasn't listed.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a supported isa network card that I could buy? or does anyone know where I could get drivers?

Thanks.

I just stuck an old card into the linux PC and connected two PC's via a network cable. Such is my luck the card seems to have a fault. Should I be able to ping the linux machine from windows? I'm guessing I should be able to.

Does your pc have pci slots?

So far I do not seem to have problems with any dlink, syslink pci network cards. But that's just me.

If you connect two pc through network cable, the cable has to be crossed (not straight).

I have one PCI slot in a pentium 166.
    I have a crossed cable.
    Are there any other things I should try?

Originally posted by gruff1
    I have one PCI slot in a pentium 166.
    Is the PCI slot available? If it is, purchase a DLink, 3Com or other well supported ethernet card.

You can find ISA network cards that are supported. Redhat should have some of them listed on their online Hardware Compatibility List.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

I put in a PCI based network card which Redhat detected and configued.
    But I am not able to ping the linux machine from a windows PC when they are connected. I have posted the settings in a previous post.
    Any other ideas?

Originally posted by gruff1
    I have posted the settings in a previous post.
    Any other ideas?
    Are we supposed to go and find it?

Add the ip address and hostname to the Windows pc.

?? /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Is that correct?

/etc/hosts for Win9X

ifconfig (on Linux to verify the ip address)
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

You got mdwatt to guide you. You should be able to make it through.

But here are some basics you should do first:-

1) If you are connecting the 2 PCs directly via Cat 5 cable, ensure that the cable is plugged in and its a cross cable. I think you got this.
    2) From the Windows PC, ping 127.0.0.1 and make sure you get a response.
    3) From the Windows PC, ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address. Make sure you get a response.
    4) From the linux pc and from the terminal, enter "ifconfig" as root (with quotation marks). You should see eth0 and the ip address.
    If not, you have not assigned one for the card. Let us know if this is the case.
    5) If the step 4 is ok and from the linux PC, ping 127.0.0.1 and make sure you got a response.
    6) From the linux PC, ping yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy where yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the ip address from step 4.
    7) if all the above are ok, from the linux PC, ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. You should get a response. If not, there is a connection problem.

If you have problems in steps 2 and 3, either your windows network setup is wrong or the card is problematic. If you have problems with step 4, 5, 6, either your linux network setup is problematic or the nic is giving you problem.

Hope the above is clear and Gong Xi Fa Cai from this end.

mdwatt, I think there is not need to add the ip in the host files for the initial setup.