Help me decide...

Thread: Help me decide...

Help me decide...

well right now im "looking for perfect distro" crazy. ive read the whole thread for good distros, but after looking over all of them, i find it hard to choose. currently im wasting all my time trying to find a good one, my grades arent doing very good. does anybody have any recommendations for the things i want? i dont have much time on my hands nowadays.
    i want:
    semi easy install
    good amount of developers for it
    great repositories
    kde/gnome, i dont care. preferably KDE 3.4.
    support for win4lin.

so far ive tried suse, ubuntu, mandrake, and yoper. Im thinking about switching back to suse since it was easy to install and it came preloaded with alot of drivers. ubuntu was nice, but it didnt have win4lin support, and i need fireworks mx(doesnt work with wine or crossover). I liked mandrake, but it barely came with any popular packages, which made installing things really time consuming (even with urpmi) and i had alot of problems with it. Yoper was awesome, but the amount of developers and the size of their repositories was small. Currently i wanna try gentoo, but im not sure what it uses. (does it use RPM? DEB?) im not really into compiling, the programs i use take a LONG time to compile... and also because i hear the gentoo installation is really hard... Is it really hard, or are people just exaggerating? I want to attempt a stage 2 install. anybody have any reccomendations?

Check out mepis I LOVE IT! it is very well supported as it is debian based.
    follow me

anything else? i prefer rpm based, but ill give MEPIS a look.

hmm...

If your grades are suffering, then don't try gentoo...you'll become an addict and think of nothing else. KDE 3.4 just made portage, too. What a shame.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

save yourself the evolution process and go straight to Debian.

Debian Sarge or Ubuntu.

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Why are you stuck on RPM? APT in debian is much easier.

If your grades are suffering and you want to get work done, go back to SuSE.

When I had Gentoo on my main desktop I had a Gentoo/SuSE dual boot so when I screwed up on Gentoo I had still SuSE to write my papers.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Originally posted by thedreampolice
    Why are you stuck on RPM? APT in debian is much easier.
    I'm with you. I hated RPM / dependency hell. I've never used and Debian based distros, but hear nothing but good things about APT. I use Slackware and I am very happy with it. But Slackware may or may not have what you are looking for.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.