ACPI errors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACPI errors

Hybrid View

ACPI errors

When I shutdown my computer it sends all the KILL and TERM signals and whatnot and then it scrolls some stuff about ACPI shut down and beeps about 6 times and stops there. It never completes the shutdown, I will try to write down the message the next time I shutdown to provide more information. Maybe you already know about this? Thanks!

hmm, which distro are you using on what laptop?

Off hand, it sounds like ACPI is not enabled. In GRUB you can add acpi=on at the end of the kernel perameters, this has helped some.

hmm, which distro are you using on what laptop?
    I am using Mandrake Cooker (10.0 rc1) on a SonyVAIO Laptop (PCG-FXA36)...

Off hand, it sounds like ACPI is not enabled. In GRUB you can add acpi=on at the end of the kernel perameters, this has helped some.
    I use LILO, not GRUB :/

Would it help for me to shut down and get the errors it brings up? I just hate rebooting :P

Here is the all the signals that I could write see and jot down when I shut down my computer... Remember it does not ever shut down, just sits there. When I reboot instead of shutdown the messages go away but the screen goes black and beeps 5-6 times:

Stopping xinetd: [ OK ]
    Stopping acpi daemon: [ OK ]
    Stopping crond: [ OK ]
    Stopping CUPS printing system: [ OK ]
    Stopping alsa: [ OK ]
    Saving random seed: [ OK ]
    Removing udev device nodes: [ OK ]
    Shutting down kernel logger: [ OK ]
    Shutting down system logger: [ OK ]
    Stopping portmap services: [ OK ]
    Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
    Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
    Stopping pcmcia: cardmgr[1416]: exiting [ OK ]
    Starting killall: [ OK ]
    Sending all processes the TERM signal... [ OK ]
    Sending all processes the KILL signal... [ OK ]
    Syncing hardware clock to current time [ OK ]
    Turning off swap: [ OK ]
    Unmounting filesystems: [ OK ]
    Unmounting proc filesystem: [ OK ]
    Halting system...
    md: Stopping all md devices.
    md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
    Power down.
    acpi_power_off called
    _

Then nothing happens, the screen remains like this until I manually turn off the laptop.

Originally posted by akuira
    Halting system...
    md: Stopping all md devices.
    md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
    Power down.
    acpi_power_off called
    I've been getting this since I upgraded to 2.6.0. I'm assuming it's down to an option I've missed somewhere, because the power off worked great in 2.5.34 ... it's just a matter of time until I get a chance to fix it That said, mine reboots just fine, and doesn't do any of the beeping that you describe.

I've been getting this since I upgraded to 2.6.0. I'm assuming it's down to an option I've missed somewhere, because the power off worked great in 2.5.34 ... it's just a matter of time until I get a chance to fix it That said, mine reboots just fine, and doesn't do any of the beeping that you describe.
    Unfortunatly that doesn't solve either of our problems

I just thought of something, my laptop is from year 2000 and I believe that ACPI is a fairly new standard in laptops. How would I go about determining if my laptop is ACPI compatible? I think the alternative is APM, or something like that... What's the difference?

See if there is a directory called /proc/acpi. If that exists, you do have ACPI support.
    Scotty: Captain, we din' can reference it!
    Kirk: Analysis, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Captain, it doesn't appear in the symbol table.
    Kirk: Then it's of external origin?
    Spock: Affirmative.
    Kirk: Mr. Sulu, go to pass two.
    Sulu: Aye aye, sir, going to pass two.

I do have the ACPI directory in /proc... Could my settings be whacky? I tried to configure it and felt like I probably did more harm than good. I haven't noticed any difference in how it acts since I did that, so I don't think anything is wrong... But I'm sure the configuration COULD use some tweaking...

If you need to see any settings let me know what settings/configurations and where to find them... Thanks!

is there anything in the /proc/acpi/ directory? try cat on all the files, they should contain lots good good stuff that is meaningless to a non-computer user

Like my laptop for example...
    cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    processor id: 0
    acpi id: 1
    bus mastering control: yes
    power management: yes
    throttling control: yes
    limit interface: yes

Thanks mahdi, BTW yes I do have stuff in here. I am still fairly new to Linux/Unix so please bare with me.

Are there any help sites on ACPI out there? I have had no such luck finding any, not much out there on laptops.

Have you updated your BIOS lately? I recall reading somewhere that some older BIOS's ACPI support is broken.

Originally posted by cybertron
    Have you updated your BIOS lately? I recall reading somewhere that some older BIOS's ACPI support is broken.
    Updated it as in downloaded an update patch or update as in changed any settings in BIOS?

I have changed a couple of settings in BIOS recently, unfortunatly Sony has made the BIOS very simple and rescricted down to only a few customizable settings, which really blows for me.

Updated it as in downloaded an update patch or update as in changed any settings in BIOS?
    Updated as in downloaded an updated version from Sony's website. I would assume that there is probably an updated version available. I don't know if it will help for sure, but I think the kernel automatically disables ACPI for older BIOSes so it could be that even if you add acpi=on the acpi functions won't work.

Sony has only released one BIOS upgrade for my laptop model and it is for Windows only, it starts the upgrade in windows, then restarts and finishes there. It is PhoenixBIOS and they have a site but I'm a bit nervous to download from them because it isn't made specificly for my laptop.

I don't know if it will help for sure, but I think the kernel automatically disables ACPI for older BIOSes so it could be that even if you add acpi=on the acpi functions won't work.
    So would this require me to modify the kernel and recomile it so it sets it not to start? I'm lost, I hate my laptop!