IPTables Setup

Thread: IPTables Setup

IPTables Setup

Hello. I've been working on installing iptables on my machine and I *think* I installed it correctly. I used Guarddog to configure it (which gave me some real problems) but I think I got that working as well. However, I'm running into a couple problems.

1. When I reboot my machine, iptables starts up, but does not use the firewall rules set by Guarddog (in /etc/rc.firewall). I have to set them manually after the fact. (Or run Guarddog and just press the 'OK' button to set them.)

2. Guarddog (under Gentoo Linux) really seems to not run well at all. I would prefer to write my own firewall configuation -- but until I have time to learn that, I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for a program that could easily (read: I'm *real* new to this security stuff) setup an iptables firewall ruleset.

I'm may go and uninstall iptables and try again. But, until that point, I was just wondering if there were any quick answers to either/both of these two questions.

Thanks!
    Distribution: Gentoo
    Kernel: 2.6.9-r9-gentoo
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.3Ghz
    RAM: 256MB RAMBUS
    HD Space: 300GB (60/80/160)

<beastmaster> eh yeah same here, used to use mandy lol
    <beastmaster> yeah damn.. that was a waste of 2 years right there lol

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    I've used Guarddog for years in both IPChains and IPTables. To my knowledge, it is designed to work exactly the way you described it. All it does is generate a script that you run manually. I might be missing something but that's how I do it.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

sorry if these are dumb questions, but is your rc.firewall file set to be executable? was it part of the original init tree, or did you have to add the script later? if the latter, is the script linked to rc.M somehow? keep in mind i use slackware, so your startup tree might be different.

that said, netfilter.org has plenty of documentation about setting up a secure firewall, but manually writing a configuration script isn't gonna solve the problem of the script not being loaded at startup.
    Roses are red, violets are blue. All my base, are belong to you.

Once the script is created, you just need to load it at boot, either by calling it from rc.local or at the end of your network initialization script.