RPM and other Distros

Thread: RPM and other Distros

RPM and other Distros

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux and have been running Fedora Core 3 for awhile now. I'm really enjoying the world of Linux and would like to try out another distribution. I was thinking about Debian or Slackware but have a question. I think the Redhat RPM utility is pretty spiffy. If I use another distro, do they have similar utilities or can I use rpm with them?

Much appreciated,

Tang
    If you enjoyed it half as much as me, I enjoyed it twice as much as you.

yes, debian has a similar package system called dpkg, and a dependencie handler called apt-get. Slackware has a tgz system that is a little more hands-on. On both distros you can actually install the rpm utility. There is also a package called alien that will convert rpms to .deb or .tgz. That is equally as spiffy.
    Registered Linux User #365191

try Suse

Suse also uses RPMs by default. I really like Suse but my opinions is that it would be better if it used a package manager other than RPM. Thats just an opinion though.

You could also try Yoper this has RPMs and Apt (as far as I can remember) but I found this confusing, I wasn't sure which manager to use to upgrade packages as they were all listed under both managers. I didn't stick with it long enough to find out.

Suse also has very good manuals.

All the major distros have packaging system
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."