Mandrake 10 1-4 download - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 10 1-4 download

Ok... it is me being thick I think... either that or just too used to XP!

I dragged and dropped the iso file into easy cd and therein lies the problem I think. There is only the 'iso' file on the disk. I just tried doing a right click on the d/l file and selecting the 'record to cd' option. It has burned the disk and now has a number of files including autorun etc.

Have fancied dabbling with linux for a while but the final spur was when I upgraded my bullet proof AMD 1gig system running XP to a AMD 2400, 512 RAM, 160gig and 80gigHD and XP keeps getting corrupted. Neither I, the shop I bought it from nor another shop I tried can get a stable XP on this system.

So decided it is time to give mandrake a try.

Thanks for the tip and hopefully I will have more luck tonight when I get home.

Hope that it works for you, let us know how it turns out
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Originally posted by yhotg
    u still over the 250 kb/s??
    i am so bad i am bording the 32 lol
    there are 800 and something that did look at this post. are we ,all the 800, downloading it?
    32? Must be nice. I was downloading so slow it took like a week to get them all. Fortunately, being on campus I ssh'd into one of our lab machines and nohup'd an ftp session so I could leave it running even when I had to take my laptop away from the network (someday I'm going to have a Linux desktop too). Now I just have to get over there and burn them.

Thanks delete.

Originally posted by deathadder
    Hope that it works for you, let us know how it turns out
    Darn it!! Now it boots but on cd1 when it begins to load the file into memory I keep getting I/O hdc errors. I doubt it is the cd's but I am burning some more today.

Any ideas?

Could be a bad download, if reburning them doesnt work check the images against the .md5 file from the ftp site you got the images, if they don't match up you will need to download the images again or buy them.

If you choose to buy have a look at:

http://linuxemporium.co.uk/
    http://cheeplinux.co.uk/cat.pl?session_id=4f85e879

Code Monkey (YouTube)

I got the images from this thread. How do i check the .md5 file and can I do it without installing anythhing as i do not have admin rights at work?

Thanks for the help.

Your not going to be able to check the md5 file because you need to install a piece of software to do it, sorry about that. Have you tried reburning the images?

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Thanks for the info. I have reburned disk 1 on a different brand of media (not that it should make a difference but you never know) and am downloading disk 1 again from a different mirror.

Hopefully it will work! Could there be any hardware issues causing a problem? System is:

AMD 2400XP
    512 ddr ram
    160gig hd (partitioned into 2 70gig drives - m/board wil not recognise more)
    80gig drive
    nvidea mx2 400 64meg graphics
    soundblaster live 5.1

I have not been able to get a xp running on this in a stable manner so wonder if it is hardware related.

Having said that I also tried to install Mandrake on my laptop and got the same error so could be the media.

burning issues?

I got the images from this thread. How do i check the .md5 file and can I do it without installing anythhing as i do not have admin rights at work?
    I burned from this collection and have no problems except, I have a video problem, I go all the way though the install, it reboots.....press esc for verbose mode and then............we are at a konsole line, why? Im not sure about that now I tested my video, works like a charm, so I dont really have any real answers, 9.2 works fine except for I keep having to gpo to the network and connect my router manulaay and my sound is flibbed/scratchy...

sorry I couldnt do better guys
    FREEBSD 5.2.1
    HP Pavilion N5340 P3 Laptop
    256 Ram
    8mb Video
    40 Gig Hard Drive
    DVD Player
    NetGear FA 410 PCMIA

wildgoose1uk it sounds like it either a bad cd or a bad .iso, the actual install of XP went ok right? Its just not very stable. If you find that Mandrake isn't very stable either I would look into possible hardware problems.

Code Monkey (YouTube)

XP has been installed so many times after I upgraded. The installations used to go ok but lately I have not even been able to complete the xp installation as it freezes right at the end. That was why I decided to try Mandrake instead.

With linux I expect a learning curve.. with XP I have already been using it for a couple of years.

If the install does not happen this time it may well be hardware related.

Originally posted by wildgoose1uk
    XP has been installed so many times after I upgraded. The installations used to go ok but lately I have not even been able to complete the xp installation as it freezes right at the end. That was why I decided to try Mandrake instead.

With linux I expect a learning curve.. with XP I have already been using it for a couple of years.

If the install does not happen this time it may well be hardware related.
    You might have bad memory or something. I'd run some hardware diagnostics on your system before trying to install anything else on that system.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

I have wondered about that. The shop that did the upgrade and where the puter has been back to oh so many times have supposedly checked all the hardware and changed the stuff they installed anyway (memory, motherboard, chip).

Have to say it is the first time I used that shop and I doubt I will use them again.

Anyways, the newly burned mandrake cd1 booted ok last night and I got to the language screen. Didn't take it surther than that though as I then realised I had left the other 3 mandrake cd's at work!!!

I had a suse cd where you run the os from the cd so I tried that and it seemed to install fine and was running for about 6 hours last night and all seemed well.

Mandrake *is* the right choice for a total newbie to linux isn't it?

No you've wasted all this time for nothing

Yeah mandrake is considered one of the newbie distros, very easy to setup you can configure it all with GUI apps or from the command line if you like, you don't need any knowledge of linux to get it installed so you should be fine, its similiar to SuSE or Red Hat, if you do run into any problems search for a answer and if need be post a question

Have fun

Code Monkey (YouTube)

OK! Mandrake is installed and working! Now all I have to do is fugure out how to get my broadband to work with it.