kernel problems?

Thread: kernel problems?

Question kernel problems?

i have a problem with installing the kernel v2.6.* , it will not extract properly, and anybody know how to properly install PGP? please help! i need to update my kernel asap
    is 127.0.0.1 REALLY the place to be?

Care to give a few extra details?

What distro are you using
    How won't it 'extract properly'? What command did you use and in what directory?

What does PGP have to do with the kernel?

Please read the Community Help Posting Guidelines for proper posting so your questions can be answered quickly and accurately

Many of the Compiling Kernel JL Help Files explain how to extract the kernel source package.

Search the JL forums as you will find lots of 2.6 kernel compiling instructions some of our JL members have previously posted.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

im using topoplogilinux with kernel v2.4.22 and im using the command

it stops at the files in the root of the package, it gets the copyright and readme, not sure about the readme though, i know it gets the copyright file

i finally got tired of trying to extract it so i downloaded in my winoze install and extracted with winzip, rebooted into linux, copied it to /usr/src and started to make it but i keep getting errors about invalid commands, i think i will update the software on my comp, then try again after i update the software

after i update, what is the sequence of commands that need to be performed to build and configure the kernel and where do i put the kernel image file once it's made?

Originally posted by r0ssar00

it stops at the files in the root of the package, it gets the copyright and readme, not sure about the readme though, i know it gets the copyright file

Started to make it but i keep getting errors about invalid commands, i think i will update the software on my comp, then try again after i update the software

after i update, what is the sequence of commands that need to be performed to build and configure the kernel and where do i put the kernel image file once it's made?
    The

tar zxvf linux-2.6.5.tar.gz

should work as long as you have write access to the directory you are extracting in and if the tar.gz you downloaded is not corrupted.

What errors are you getting?

We have lots of threads here on the steps to compile the 2.6 kernel with a few posted in the 'How I did it' forum. The documentation included with the 2.6 kernel source also contains the compiling and installing steps along with the required packages and minimum versions.

Most would copy the kernel image and System.map to /boot.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

im doing this all as root, and i have full write/read access to the /usr/src directory

im doing it as root so i have full read/write access to every directory except other users'

i know, i know, doing it as root is bad, but i dont do dangerous things and i dont really go into system files that often

the package is not corrupt because i redownloaded it at least 3 times

i would patch but from what i heard you can only patch in that series, u cant patch a 2.4.9 kernel to 2.5.0 kernel

also, is there a group of links that point to all the packages that need uipdating

is your kernel archive corrupted in the first place?

try redownloading the kernel.

if you are root, then you must be in /usr/src when using the tar command in /usr/src/linux-2.6......this is just to be sure.

the command you used should be ok though...
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

i verified with gpg or pgp(cant remember) and it said it was ok

i was always in the /usr/src directory

i was and always will be root

maybe its because i didnt update the required software...

i only need to update make , reiserprogs, and a couple others

Originally posted by mdwatts
    tar zxvf linux-2.6.5.tar.gz
    I have always used:
    tar -xvzf linux-x.x.x.tar.gz

Later,
    MMYoung

[edit]
    BTW, make sure you have all the "latest" updates and ESPECIALLY you need module-init-tools-3.0 (or greater if available) installed.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by MMYoung; 05-21-2004 at 10:50 PM.
    In the 60's people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Slackware 11.0 - Dropline GNOME 2.16.1 - kernel 2.6.18
    openSUSE 10.2 with Xgl/compiz/beryl
    Windows XP - kernel klink
    Buy Slack
    Dropline GNOME

Originally posted by MMYoung
    I have always used:
    tar -xvzf linux-x.x.x.tar.gz
    the order shouldnt matter.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

Originally posted by gehidore
    the order shouldnt matter.
    Wasn't sure if it did or not. I know that Linux is kind of "picky" about things .

That's just the way I've always done it since I read the compiling programs HOWTO on this forum. Get in a habit of doing things and it just looks funny when you see them in a format different than what you used to seeing.

Later,
    MMYoung
    In the 60's people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Slackware 11.0 - Dropline GNOME 2.16.1 - kernel 2.6.18
    openSUSE 10.2 with Xgl/compiz/beryl
    Windows XP - kernel klink
    Buy Slack
    Dropline GNOME

ive got evrthing maked now

the only problem now is to get it onto my NTFS hdd without using a cd, floppy, or the internet
    reason for not using the internet, can't find my pci dialup modem in the tty's
    i dont want to waste a cd on less than 10mb
    and my floppy drive is busted

i might want to try samba, but will samba work if the disk im moving it to on the network is NTFS?
    another problem, i try to ifconfig eth0 up and it wont work, do i NEED the ip address for the eth card for ifconfig to work?

my distro is topologi and it uses images on the drive as a loop fs so it can work on ntfs without partitioning

my modem is [B]Win Lucent Modem #2[?B], this is what it comes up as in windoz

Originally posted by r0ssar00
    [B]
    i might want to try samba, but will samba work if the disk im moving it to on the network is NTFS?
    another problem, i try to ifconfig eth0 up and it wont work, do i NEED the ip address for the eth card for ifconfig to work?

my distro is topologi and it uses images on the drive as a loop fs so it can work on ntfs without partitioning

my modem is Win Lucent Modem #2[?B], this is what it comes up as in windoz
    Since you now have another problem that is unrelated to the original (extracting the kernel source), could you please post a new thread in the Networking forum and include a subject that briefly describes the question. Thanks

Linuxplanet Tutorials