Enemy Territory!

Thread: Enemy Territory!

Enemy Territory!

i just played enemy territory on linux and the game is great!!
    im a huge fan of ww2 games (medal of honour), and enemy territory is just as great.

although my first experience wasnt the greatest cause some guy insisted on calling me noob and eventually booting me for being a noob.
    great to see that the world is full of nice people

anyhoo, great game, check it out if you havent already
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

how to install

i noticed in a thread below which is now locked, someone didnt know how to install the game. Heres what you do.

first, you have to give the EXECUTE permission to the file. This is done by either right clicking on it, going to permissions and selecting execute, or in the terminal type:

chmod u+x <path of the file>

this will give the execute permission for the file to the owner of the file. Then type ./<name of the file> and it will start installing.

NOTE: dont actually type the <> symbols.

oh and the game can be found at www.enemy-territory.com

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

It truly is an amazing game, and with time, you will get better at it. Being a noob is only temporary, though getting your arse kicked seems to happen to everybody in Enemy Territory, regardless of skill. Fun to play, just remember, please don't be a circle-strafer or spawn-camper.
    Registered Linux User #328016
    I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute

Slackware 10.0
    Shuttle AN35N nForce2 mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2600
    512 MB DDR RAM
    XFX GeForce FX 5200 256 MB
    40 GB Western Digital HDD

Re: how to install

Originally posted by Calipso
    i noticed in a thread below which is now locked, someone didnt know how to install the game. Heres what you do.

first, you have to give the EXECUTE permission to the file. This is done by either right clicking on it, going to permissions and selecting execute, or in the terminal type:

chmod u+x <path of the file>

this will give the execute permission for the file to the owner of the file. Then type ./<name of the file> and it will start installing.

NOTE: dont actually type the <> symbols.

oh and the game can be found at www.enemy-territory.com

emerge enemy-territory

Heh heh heh...I love Gentoo
    Distribution: Gentoo
    Kernel: 2.6.9-r9-gentoo
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.3Ghz
    RAM: 256MB RAMBUS
    HD Space: 300GB (60/80/160)

<beastmaster> eh yeah same here, used to use mandy lol
    <beastmaster> yeah damn.. that was a waste of 2 years right there lol

Forgive my ignorance (never having played the game), but why is circle strafing bad? It's pretty much my entire strategy when playing single player first person shooters, at least... Is it just that the weapons in ET make it so that anybody doing that has a huge advantage?

I generally don't get to circle strafe when playing multi-player -- I don't get time to think about any kind of strategy at that point. I just kinda run around (mostly forward ) and shoot at stuff. Sometimes I even shoot at enemies.

My name on there is Creepy T. If you see me, say hi. Im usually on the Arsclan server.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

I'm with bwkaz, why is circle strafing bad? It may of given the person an unfair advantage due to lag time...10 years ago.

The netcode used these days copensates for lag so when you shoot at the person, the netcode figures that what you see and what he sees are not exactly the same and copensates.

Or do circle-strafer just make you dizzy?

I just find it annoying. I'm from the days of Wolfenstein and Doom when strafing required a button-combo, and the mouse was not to be used if you didn't want carpal-tunnel. It's not all bad, just not my style of play. But obviously everyone agrees, "spawn-campers suck."

I mostly wish for more tactical multiplayer but have yet to find it. You know, the kind of multiplayer where teams travel in teams and have strategies, not just a loose-knit band of "shoot-em-ups" with rifles, mortar monkeys and medics that drop a line of health kits for anyone to use.

Sounds like a project!
    Registered Linux User #328016
    I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute

Slackware 10.0
    Shuttle AN35N nForce2 mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2600
    512 MB DDR RAM
    XFX GeForce FX 5200 256 MB
    40 GB Western Digital HDD

Originally posted by duncanbojangles
    I mostly wish for more tactical multiplayer but have yet to find it. You know, the kind of multiplayer where teams travel in teams and have strategies, not just a loose-knit band of "shoot-em-ups" with rifles, mortar monkeys and medics that drop a line of health kits for anyone to use.

Sounds like a project!
    Sounds more like what America's Army should of been...but getting people follow tactics, let alone hear you, is a challenge at best

Originally posted by duncanbojangles
    But obviously everyone agrees, "spawn-campers suck."
    Oh yes, most definitely.

As for enforcing teamwork -- it might work to have some kind of multiplayer map that's designed to require the players on both teams to work together. I'm not entirely sure how it'd work, but maybe you could have some things that had to be done at distant points on the map within some ridiculously small interval (much shorter than the time it would take to run from one point to the other).

These objectives could even require that a different type of player complete each one -- for example, one requirement could be that a heavy-weapons person or an "engineer" type blows through a door on one end of the level to get to the button behind it (which anybody could then hit -- it would shut down either the lock on a door, or a forcefield, or something, leading into the opposing base). They would do this with either large explosives (the heavy weapons guy), or their trusty blowtorch (the "engineer" guy -- think Half-Life: Opposing Force, if you've ever played it).

At the other end of the map, a covert-ops type (or somebody that can sneak around) has to shut down the opposing security grid within 20 seconds (or whatever) of the door being blown. Once this happens, the opposing base is pretty much wide open -- at that point, it does become a free for all, but at least some teamwork and coordination is required to get the main doors open. If they don't get the security grid shut down within the time interval, then they lose.

The opposing team would be trying to do the same thing to your base also -- it's kind of like capture the flag, but not entirely. Maybe their objectives would be a bit different, too, it doesn't really matter.

Or something like that -- just run with the idea.

Well, it sounds like level design and team communication are the things holding back true teamwork. So, VOIP and an Unreal Tournament mod?
    Last edited by duncanbojangles; 08-07-2004 at 02:14 PM.

LOL, all these team games usually end up in people just running around like morons shooting at anything that moves.....it would definatlly be great if there was a game where teams actually had to act as teams...what a great concept eh.

when i play i use the same name as i do here.

oh and a quick question for people that play the game, when ever i start teh game, i have to create a profile again and all my xp points are gone, is there a way to save all that??

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Some servers keep it until the round is over, some keep it until you log off, but no you cant save it long-term.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

oh alrite, kool.

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Enemy Territory, was originally planned as a full-fledged expansion pack for Return to Castle Wolfenstein developed by Splash Damage. The single player component of the game was never completed and thus was removed entirely.
    I would like to know about this "Single Player Component" that was never completed, and how ET branched off RTCW.