[MAIN] Yell at ATI! (please post here) - Page 3


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71

Thread: [MAIN] Yell at ATI! (please post here)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    137
    Number 16,000ish. I used ATI with linux for a long time and found it frustrating in the ways I was limited graphically.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    177
    16,454 here.

    Hurry up ATI.

    Charles

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    638
    Well as this petition continues to grow, has anyone tried the drivers the recently released (9/9/04)?
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Somewhere, Texas
    Posts
    9,628
    Originally posted by pezplaya
    Well as this petition continues to grow, has anyone tried the drivers the recently released (9/9/04)?
    I'm going to try them today, I think they've hit Gentoo's portage by now...

    -edit-
    Whoops, I've had the 3.12 drivers installed for weeks...
    Trying an Onslaught map in UT2004 as that's where I've always seen the biggest problems

    -edit-edit-
    Torlan palyed for a little bit before the graphics barfed. So other then playing well for those few minutes it ran well

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL USA
    Posts
    146
    I just signed. Also, when they brought out their new proprietary drivers, I tried them to see if I could get my dad's ATI card to work. Naturally, it wouldn't. They asked for feedback on their drivers, and here's what I wrote to them:
    _____________________________________________
    We in the Linux community would like nothing more than to do your
    work *for* you, thus reducing your R&D costs. If you'd simply open
    the source for your drivers, we could make them work much better.
    And, from a business standpoint, this would make us *want* to buy your
    products, rather than rue your company's adherance to proprietary
    drivers and hope that someone else can better meet our demands.
    NVidia has made the same mistake, and whichever one of you would open
    your source first would net you support from the Linux community. The
    scales would be tipped in your favor. Instead, we're constantly
    trying to find alternate solutions. Simplify matters: *Allow us to
    make better drivers for you*.
    As it stands, the 9800SE I bought for my dad's new computer only
    works for 2D applications, thus removing the point of spending so much
    money on a video card instead of a low-end integrated video set. I
    shall be returning your card shortly if I can only resist the impulse
    to first break it with a hammer. Hopefully, one of your competitors
    can better meet my needs as a consumer. Congratulations: you just
    lost money.
    ____________________________________________

    And sure, nVidia cards might tend to work better, but I'm still very, very angry that they won't open up their drivers for examination/modification...or at least that's the last I heard on the matter. Perhaps I'm misinformed.
    Last edited by palsyboy; 09-19-2004 at 12:48 PM.
    "If saving money is wrong, I don't wanna be right." -W. Shatner

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Valencia, California
    Posts
    436

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    702
    My ATi Radeon 9000 works just fine with the default "radeon" driver, full 3D acceleration et al.
    I haven't cried like this since I paid for Godfather III --Fat Tony

    Currently breaking:
    Gentoo Stage 1 w/gentoo-dev-2.6.14-r2 kernel
    FreeBSD 6.0
    XP Pro, well thats already broken

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Originally posted by palsyboy

    _____________________________________________
    We in the Linux community would like nothing more than to do your
    work *for* you, thus reducing your R&D costs. If you'd simply open
    the source for your drivers, we could make them work much better.
    And, from a business standpoint, this would make us *want* to buy your
    products, rather than rue your company's adherance to proprietary
    drivers and hope that someone else can better meet our demands.
    NVidia has made the same mistake, and whichever one of you would open
    your source first would net you support from the Linux community. The
    scales would be tipped in your favor. Instead, we're constantly
    trying to find alternate solutions. Simplify matters: *Allow us to
    make better drivers for you*.
    As it stands, the 9800SE I bought for my dad's new computer only
    works for 2D applications, thus removing the point of spending so much
    money on a video card instead of a low-end integrated video set. I
    shall be returning your card shortly if I can only resist the impulse
    to first break it with a hammer. Hopefully, one of your competitors
    can better meet my needs as a consumer. Congratulations: you just
    lost money.
    ____________________________________________

    Brilliant writing there Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Hopefully somebody is actually listening.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Alaskan Wastelands
    Posts
    20
    #18848
    Duct Tape is like the FORCE,
    It has a light side and a dark side
    and keeps the universe together

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    /canada/ont/windsor
    Posts
    1,499
    Signed. I was #19085.
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vladivostok, Russia
    Posts
    9,054
    I stopped supporting ATI after my first Linux install. I signed though...... for the unfortunate and down-trodden.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    /home/
    Posts
    1,204
    i thought ati drivers were open source. i prefer nvidia for other reasons, but nvidia drivers are not open source.

    http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/1999/4241.html

    soule
    Last edited by soulestream; 11-14-2004 at 04:55 PM.
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

    IRC #linuxn00b

    Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vladivostok, Russia
    Posts
    9,054
    Originally posted by soulestream
    i thought ati drivers were open source. i prefer nvidia for other reasons, but nvidia drivers are not open source.

    http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/1999/4241.html

    soule
    Press Release - Archives 1999
    Kinda outdated....Ya..think?
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    /home/
    Posts
    1,204
    outdated, but is it still true?



    soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

    IRC #linuxn00b

    Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vladivostok, Russia
    Posts
    9,054
    Originally posted by soulestream
    outdated, but is it still true?



    soule
    Still holds true for the cards mentioned in the article.....I agree. Let's fast forward to 2004.......
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •