[MAIN] Yell at ATI! (please post here) - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [MAIN] Yell at ATI! (please post here)

When are people going to realize that no one gives a flying poop (except the ones that signed it) about those dumbass online petitions? ATI is not a charity or some government agency. They don't have to make Linux drivers if they don't want to, and you don't have to buy ATI cards. It's for this reason that I will continue to buy nVidia cards. They make Linux drivers that are almost on par with their Windows drivers and they did it because they wanted to.
    Linux user #188370
    Long live Sensei!

Originally posted by TheBouleOfFools
    When are people going to realize that no one gives a flying poop (except the ones that signed it) about those dumbass online petitions? ATI is not a charity or some government agency. They don't have to make Linux drivers if they don't want to, and you don't have to buy ATI cards. It's for this reason that I will continue to buy nVidia cards. They make Linux drivers that are almost on par with their Windows drivers and they did it because they wanted to.
    I agree, but if enough people don't buy their cards. (And the petition seems to indicate that there are quite a few who will not but them.) they will feel it financially which is a great motivator. Maybe then ATI will "want" to make Linux drivers too.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

-Deep Thought, Jack Handey

I see no reason for ATI to make thier drivers open source, when the majority of the gaming market runs Windows which is optimised for running 3d applications.
    Mess with the best, die like the rest

I see no reason for ATI to make thier drivers open source, when the majority of the gaming market runs Windows which is optimised for running 3d applications.
    Oh right, how could we have all forgotten that Windows is optimized for 3D applications? Thanks for making that great point that we all overlooked.

No problem
    Mess with the best, die like the rest

I dual boot with WinXP & Fedora and have installed games on both systems & I see a clear difference in the way that they run. Sorry, but 3D seems to allways run faster on Linux than it does on Windows, when comparing the same game. No idea why, maybe it's just me or my computer, and I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm just sharing my personal experiences.

Oh yeah, and I signed the petition.

Originally posted by NecroLin
    Sorry, but 3D seems to allways run faster on Linux than it does on Windows, when comparing the same game.
    I was being completely sarcastic dude. Nobody else realized how boneheaded that statement is? That "Windows is optimized for running 3D applications"? I could understand if someone said OS X is optimized for 3D applications...

<edited by moderator>
    No need for name calling, JThundley

I purchased an ATI 9800 card 'cause its a hot card, and was cheap at the time, and went with Windows for my gaming machine.

After reading these posts, I didn't think ATI had linux drivers, but

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/l...x=9&submit.y=5

lists drivers.

Do these suck? What are ya'll "complaining" about? They don't release them as open source as they have " non-disclosure agreements with third parties".

Or is there something else to this?

Ya, those work I use them on my laptop with a M9 card.

But they are non-optimized, in RPM format (need to jump through hoops to install them on a non-RPM distro), they are unstable and they do not work with xorg-6.8

Other then that, they're great!

im #21987

#22051 I had real trouble on two installs (as a complete newbie as well) and went through the complex installation procedure only to had my kernel messed up both times so that X wouldn't start. I was thrown in at the deep end of linux command line operation and spent a long time trying to sort it out. I am very annoyed with such poor support, they should open up their cards or take linux drivers seriously. Haven't they heard of Looking Glass? The future is Linux....

im 22052. Ill never again buy ATI unless their support changes.
    -zeke-

If their drivers were better, people might be more apt to buy high-end ATI cards for use in their Linux boxes. Judging by the signature count, that would be over 9.5 million dollars in ATI's pockets. Are their bean counters watching?
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ Phenom 9850 8GB (4x2gb) G.Skill PC2 6400 eVGA 8800GTX 1x 80gb Sata2, 1x 500gb Sata2, 2x 160gb Sata1 Scythe SCINF-1000 hsf Enermax 485w SLI Thermaltake 485W MountainMods UFO2 Case

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JThundley
    I was being completely sarcastic dude. Nobody else realized how boneheaded that statement is? That "Windows is optimized for running 3D applications"? I could understand if someone said OS X is optimized for 3D applications...

<edited by moderator>
    No need for name calling, JThundley
    Windows is optimized for one thing and one thing only... CRASHING and maybe one other a money pit.

Well I am using Fedora core 4 with the ati drivers + 9800pro , I get better frame rates in ut2k4 than in windows. I am happy.

I am also using a X700 mobile processor in my laptop with archlinux, again no problem installing the drivers (followed the archlinux wiki).