[MAIN] Yell at ATI! (please post here) - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [MAIN] Yell at ATI! (please post here)

22951 ----same here, it's only nvidia for me unless they change.

[edit] Just did a quick figure if the average price is $200.00 for a ati v-card most are more some are less X 22951 = $4,590,200 they have lost so far.
    Last edited by mrrangerman43; 12-13-2005 at 01:44 PM.

On my laptop the choice was either Intel integrated or ATI so I took the lesser of two evils and got the ATI. Their new installer actually worked fairly well, although you should ignore any morons who say that you have to use the RPM version on Mandriva 2006. It won't work and I really wish I hadn't read that before I tried to install them.

The biggest problem I have with them is that they basically have to take over your xorg.conf to work right. For me that breaks the synaptic support that all of the distros I've tried so far have auto-detected and requires manual setup to get working again. I could probably just copy the driver section from their generated xorg.conf into the distro's, but I haven't really had any luck getting the acceleration to work properly anyway, and in Mandriva when I tried it broke the radeon driver too so I haven't bothered in SuSE (Mandriva was locking up a lot on me, and it wasn't because of the drivers because it happened during installation too).

I guess I'm still debating whether the ATI drivers are any good. I haven't actually gotten 3d acceleration working properly yet, but that's a combination of user error and driver issues, and I'm not sure which is more to blame. I do have to say that tv-out was almost trivial to configure (the first time, then it quit working for a while ) so there are some bright spots. Maybe I'll try re-installing Mandriva to see if I can get the lockups and ATI drivers fixed.

Oh how I wish I had spent the extra few quid and bought an Nvidia card.

My old GF3 was getting a bit old, so I bought a radeon 9550 as a quick stopgap until I upgrade the PC to 64 bit in the next month or so. I can't even get the installer to run without it giving an error.

Its back to nvidia for me when I update.

I always find "radeon" work when "ati" doesn't. So I am not voting.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Thumbs up Yelling at ATI.....

What is yelling at ATI going to do? They make all there wonderfull drivers for MS users and MAC users why......becuse they are the majority, its plain simple facts, I love MS, bill gates gives me more reasons than 1 to keep my job stable, bill screws the pooch on his poorly written platforms and everyone and there brother buys MS products, or downloads them illegally, and ATI will continue to follow after bill and MAC, but send emails to the vendors to the correct departments about GNU linux drivers will be the answer to a stable driver.......like I said I love MS, it sign's my checks every week, it pays my bills........thank god for mr gates, and his virus infected systems. thank god for his poorly security writen server.

I guess its pretty bad that MS publishes a PDF on "hardening win2k" Hardening Win2003 Server"

gotta love bill....

registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

For one thing this thread was started well over a year ago when ATI's drivers were much worse than they are today. nVidia's drivers were so much better despite the difference in market share that it was making ATI look bad. Their drivers have definitely improved a lot (for instance they now distribute them in non-RPM form for Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, etc. users).

That said, the crappiness of Microsoft products is making me money for the moment too. Next summer I start a job where I'm competing against them though.

While we're on ATI cards, I have an ATI Rage Pro Ultra. I can play planet penguin racer, tuxkart and a few other games, but TORCS, Blender and such are no gos. Is there a fix for this?

Fedoration, that's on "on ATI cards". Please start a new thread about that in the Games section

Checking back on old posts. New computer. Brand new kind of graphics card. URPMI, and I'm gaming.

Drivers have come a long way.

I marked it and I utilize Nvidia. In any case, I figured, later on I may wind up with an ATI card and need the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ishouli View Post

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did a quick search and didn't see anything.
    Please don't revive ancient threads. Icarus posted what you quoted above on 08-20-2004, which is 14 years, 6 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ago.