Linux in BBC News

Thread: Linux in BBC News

Linux in BBC News

Linux in the BBC News

Nothing earth shattering or anything... just thought it was kind of cool.
    Ubuntu

Registered Linux User #313600

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    The pilot schemes found that using Linux can extend the life of equipment and limit the number of servers need to run programs.

It also said that there were "potential green" benefits, as well as the cost cutting.

It is not all one-way traffic, however, and Microsoft has been cutting the cost of its products to retain customers.

It also has increased access to its programming code and says that it often has to pick up the pieces when a switch to Linux has failed.

Bummer! microsloth has to cut pricing now...LOL
    Also, that final one is telling: Never rely on MCSEs to do a proper migration to Linux.

This may be of additional interest.
    Last edited by EnigmaOne; 10-27-2004 at 09:35 PM.

lol all you linux users get excited when Linux is mention in the news while Microsoft is in the news everyday!
    Slackware 10 .1
    Dropline Gnome
    Kernel 2.6.12

The Only webpage you need
    ScreenShots

Pinter.....quantity rarely equals quality.....as a most excellent example I offer the numerous (often daily) flaws in the M$ OS that are announced.....

Not wanting to start a Flame War, but comparisons of value need to be relevant.

G
    In Confusion There Is Profit

Yes we do get excited, because the headlines regarding linux are almost always positive. Its fair to say that those of us who use linux daily at home(or at work) are pleased to see the rest of the world taking note that yes, there is an alternative to expensive proprietary OS's.
    When you look at the headlines that linux makes and compare them to the headlines windoze makes, yeah, there's something to be excited about. As linux users, we tend to be people more interested in the science of computing. We love being part of a community(even if its only online) that shares ideas and knowledge with the common goal of developing a technically superior software environment.
    Anyone who has a refined taste for anything is usually (maybe just quietly) pleased when their interests catch the eye of the uncouth masses. We live in a world dominated by banality and mass consumerism; Macdonald's, Britney Spears, Wal-mart, Microsoft...etc, you get the picture; cheese. When on occasion something more interesting and of higher quality than the status quo appears in the public eye, those of us who were already familiar with that something feel sentiments of pride, joy and satisfaction. Maybe their is hope for the world. Maybe the giant greedy corporations wont fully enslave us after all. Maybe as a community we can collectively make something great for the sake of making something great, and not just so that wealthy stock owners can line their pockets with gold at the expense of unwitting, unknowing END USERS.
    Linux user #367409

Yeah I do know what you people mean but your going to have to give it time before linux is in 40% of homes and business. It's not going to happen overnight or in the next 5 years.

Yes there are tons of security flaws in Microsoft found daily. There are also flaws found in Linux, not as much but there are a few.

I must agree. Linux is nice to use (I dual boot with XP) but it's so dman complicated but once you do it once, it seems easy after that. I mean I was scared to install a kernel but I went and did it and took like 5 minutes max.

I dunno Linux will become popular but not as most of you people would like and as soon as you want it. Give it 10 years then you might see a lot more of it!

First Linux needs better DRIVER SUPPORT!

One step at a time!
    Slackware 10 .1
    Dropline Gnome
    Kernel 2.6.12

The Only webpage you need
    ScreenShots

Cool

Yes, infiniphunk and gigashadow have it right: Just because something's popular, it doesn't make it good. You see that quote below my post? You may wonder just who this Jane Horrocks is. Well, with all the actresses-come-lately that have been filling up the screens (in more ways than one), this "Little" lady has been in the shadows (in the USA at least, she's very well known in the UK). She can out-sing, out-act, and even out-promote anyone out of la-la-land.

And I still have to explain to everyone who she is.

So, I have my DVD copy of "Little Voice" at the ready, just to show anyone what "talent" is. And I play it on my Linux box, complete with Jane as my background (thanks, BBC!).

Now, about those drivers that pinter wanted...

In order to have drivers, you need programmers. Sourceforge has plenty, so that's not the issue. The next item on the list is hardware. Hmmm. No shortage there. So, the only thing missing is getting the information about how the hardware works to the programmers! This is the problem. You see, if a company wants to keep how they do things secret, then this automatically means NO open source, lest the competitors get hold of it, and reverse-engineer.

Alas, the Catch-22: the manufacturers have to be more open about their hardware, which allows competitors to run them out of business, which means no more hardware in the open, which means no open source drivers, which means... Well, you get it.

This is where we're at now. We, as a community, must show ANY manufacturer who's got the balls to release code/specs to open source that they're justified in doing so. Buy their stuff. ATI still has some issues, but they've got the message: nVidia's gonna kick some major butt if they don't keep up with the penguins. HP is doing a great service by supporting it's printers. Sure, they cost a bit more, but you know it'll run on anything you plug it into. Lexmark still doesn't have a clue...

banzai "Nevermind the Horrocks" kai
    "Mind you, I got to do the licking this time, so it wasn't too bad."
    - Jane Horrocks, The Guardian, 1995