mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away - Page 11

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

Originally posted by cybertron
    Yeah, it was weird, I ran across one of his posts when I was searching the board for something. Kinda eerie, but nice to know he's still there watching over the board in a way
    When human beings suffer the loss of human being, we resort ourselves either in transcendence or immanence. Both mechanisms are at work here (Mike has gone somewhere else = transcendence, we will always remember him = immanence), but it's especially interesting to see how the internet changes the immanent way of coping... it's like Mike was an architect who errected litterarily thousands of menhirs in the virtual landscape of the internet, and every time somebody stumbles over one of them he will be remembered.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Re: Re: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

Originally posted by bs_2003
    Wasylk, Is there some way you can contact any of his family members, or whoever was closest to him, and show them this thread?

(Sorry... if somebody has already asked that. I didn't go back and read through the whole thing.)
    Mike did not have much in terms of family, his mother died when he was 5 years old. His father died recently in November 2001. His has a few relatives in England ( not sure who they are), and a great aunt ( 92 years old) in North Carolina, given her age I believe it would be rather overwhelming for her to received so many letters.
    What I will do, if others are in agreement, I will print out some of the responses in JL to Mike's death, and send that to his great aunt. This will I believe be a better way for her to see the support that Mike's friends and all of JL have for Mike....

( Wasylk)

Re: Re: Re: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

Originally posted by wasylk
    Mike did not have much in terms of family, his mother died when he was 5 years old. His father died recently in November 2001. His has a few relatives in England ( not sure who they are), and a great aunt ( 92 years old) in North Carolina, given her age I believe it would be rather overwhelming for her to received so many letters.
    What I will do, if others are in agreement, I will print out some of the responses in JL to Mike's death, and send that to his great aunt. This will I believe be a better way for her to see the support that Mike's friends and all of JL have for Mike....

( Wasylk)
    i like that idea, it also will protect her from mean people...
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

That sounds like a good idea.

Yes, that is a good way to go.
    open mind, open source, open cars

Registered Linux User 299372 http://counter.li.org

This is a tragedy for linux community.
    My condolences to mdwatt's family and friends.
    His great contribution to JL will be trully missed.

Anyway, i don't want 2 b rude here...but bone cancer is mostly caused by poor eating/diet habit and lack of physical of exercise.
    So guys, watch out of what you eat and do some sport/exercise.
    Stay healthy!
    There's no such thing as "free bandwidth"

Some one needs to know our responses. Even if that means just setting up a memorial here
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

Perhaps...an anthology of the wit and wisdom of Mike Watts?

I know this is probably unrealistic thinking, but i think it would be pretty cool to put together a small distro of linux and name it after him. I think that would probably be the ultimate honor.
    "Did you ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I."

Just an idea as another way to keep this thread known. Could a moderate take a look at why this thread, which with this post has 161 replies, doesn't show up in the Hot Threads list?
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

With a name like Watts, I can't imagine it'll be too hard to come up with a name for the distro. Even if, by some miracle, people voted against naming it after Mike, it'd be foolish not to have his name inspire the name of the distro. Are there any distros with a name like "Wattage" or "Watts Linux"?

mdwatts linux

I think he'd get a kick out of that.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Re: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

Please convey my condolences to his family. I have had the benefit of his advise many times on this forum and will miss his postings which were always educative even if it were a response to somebody else's problem.

Originally posted by wasylk
    I'm not sure how or to whom to make this out to. However, I would like to bring to your attention, that one of the moderators - Mike Watts has passed away ( August 25th).
    Mike was a decent fellow, and a loyal friend. He was suffering from bone marrow cancer, and this finally did him in.
    I was a good friend of Mike's and I am sure that there will be many of you who will miss him
    God bless Mike...

(Wasylk)
    Divakar
    Linux Registered User #275193

Originally posted by Daedrus
    Just an idea as another way to keep this thread known. Could a moderate take a look at why this thread, which with this post has 161 replies, doesn't show up in the Hot Threads list?
    its in /dev/random.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

mdwatts has been patient and helpfull to me on many occasions, very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.