mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away - Page 14

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

Originally posted by nuttron
    sorry icarus i tried several times to get your tar.gz file......no dice , requested page not found......thank you ..mdwatts helped me a lot too...i would like the fortune cookies too....nuttron
    If you go to
    http://paradoxinc.net/files/fortune/...tts-0.2.tar.gz you will be able to get it.

thanks for the link, this is a great idea!!

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

I know the feeling well when a close friend dies. This happen to me a couple year when a friend on mine died on new years eve; and I had only just been he helping him sort his office the day before. He was on about get it sorted so I said let's get on with it so we did there and then. Had to strip down a mini network and all.

My friend was 34 when he died, adult cot death. I used to spend a lot time with him as well( most days, poor sod.)

thank you BaVinic it worked.....
    3 Slackware12.1 and 1 Debian Squeeze (3 puters), purring

Hi ! John T. or and anybody that knows how ; i downloaded and untarred the mdwatts fortune file but how do i edit the .bashrc file ? on slackware 9.0 ? i did a locate and find and could not find the said .bashrc file....and i did copy the mdwatts an mdwatts.dat file to my /usr/share/games/fortune directory.....thank you

.bashrc should be in your home directory. There's a global version that affects all users in /etc that's just called "bashrc" without the . as well.

Just make a script and call it .bashrc and place in your users directory. Add or subtract anything your want
    Example:

#bashrc
    alias ls="ls --color=auto"
    fortune mdwatts
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

thanks a lot guys , i'll try that as soon as i can , got to go out today away from my machine...a bit of cycling...ciao

A great loss

Mike taught me from scratch how to install Samba and get it working. He replied to almost ever question I posted in these forums. I never got to meet him offline, but he'll live on in my memory, and I hope his ghost visits my shell from time to time.
    To be forgotten is worse than death

Cheer's Mike

I am sorry to hear the passing of Mike he also helped me many times via PM to work out Linux problems.

A man like Mike never dies as the knowledge he passed along lives in hundreds of the people he helped.

Heaven now has one more Linux Master!

Sault, Glen
    Cheer's from Glen
    "On an Island in the Pacific!"

Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Ubuntu 8.10

Registered Linux User #325391

man Mike helped me like crazy, he replied to all my questions and all my pms
    love everyone

Someone might have come up w/ this before but I've this lil idea. Why not make a theme (for Gnome or KDE etc) based on Mike's life? Given someone here has enuff material (pics most preferably) of Mike amd Mike's computer stuff...

Just a thought..
    Isn't it strange the onset of overheating will result in freezing?

Unhappy MD Watts will be sorely missed

Although I never met Michael personally he was my first "Linux Newbie" contact and I found him to be very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and polite. My sincerest condolences to his family and relatives.

Condolances for MDWatts

I know its bad form to post about locked threads but its been a couple of years since I've posted here and I'm very sorry to hear about MDWatts demise - you'll be missed.

Anyway, hello to anyone that remembers me, and goodbye to MDWatts.
    Last edited by bugfix; 10-29-2004 at 11:31 PM.
    Drink more milk. Support your local cow.

Huh? I'm confused, why did the other thread get locked? There's no explanation at the end of it. What's the deal?

I imagine that there will be more people who only drop by occasionally who will want to post to it as well, so IMHO it would make sense to leave it open. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Originally posted by cybertron
    Huh? I'm confused, why did the other thread get locked? There's no explanation at the end of it. What's the deal?

I imagine that there will be more people who only drop by occasionally who will want to post to it as well, so IMHO it would make sense to leave it open. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    We thought it'd be best to close the thread, as it was getting somewhat off-topic. People weren't so much leaving condolences for Mike, but instead discussing how to get a fortune program working.

Now, we here at JL appreciate all of the sentiments regarding Mike's passing. But, I think the time has come to let it be. I'm going to go ahead and close this post too, because Mike would rather have us on-topic...

We all still miss you, Mike!
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.