mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away - Page 6

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

mdwatts probably got a golden keyboard and a computer where the wiring is made of angel hair.

I forgot to mention something in my last post: althoigh Mike often did the "first search, then ask" thing, he never did it to be arrogant or because he was looking down on other people. I remeber how he was saying he learned a lot while reading the SuSE handbooks while being in the hospital bed. When I realized that even Mike learns with something as simple as a SuSE handbook that I have in my own shelves, this was a big motivation for me to follow his tracks.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Very sad to hear this.

I remember finding the Linux Newbie site when I first started out. Fighting the frustration of the learning curve - but as always "mdwatts" was there to help, patiently. (even - for the thousanth time - patiently telling us to use Google for Linux, or "G4L" as he called it. Took me awhile to work that acronym out!)

He must've helped literally thousands of us, unselfishly. I see he posted an incredible 39,380 posts, truly a labour of love.

I also remember his enforced absence from the board last year - now, sadly I know the reason. And, to my regret, I never knew him, except on these pages.

With deep condolences for his family.

-Andy, Oulu, Finland.

This really gets me.

I actually looked up to Mike. There have been times when I'm on this forum, and not felt like doing a darn thing because I felt that either I didn't know enough, or that I was starting not to care about helping anymore. But then I'd pop in, and I'd see that Mike was here, still helping, still answering; even if he didn't know the answer, he'd try to guesstimate, and point a link in the right direction, guiding the user correctly way more often than not.

I'm still not sure what to think about all of this. In the spirit of what gehidore said, I don't really want to be sad over what's happened. Though he never said it too me, I know he wouldn't want us to be that way. But, I don't feel like I should just move on.

This is odd, but this is the first death I've ever experienced that has really affected me in any moving way. I'm guessing that this is how it's really supposed to feel when someone you care a lot about passes.

For what it's worth, Mike, since I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about your passing, you'll continually be in my thoughts.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

I didn't know him but always found his posts usefull. He will definitely be missed.

Sadly I never had the privilage of speaking to him on these boards, yet in the short while I've been here, I've read and learnt from many of his posts.

May he rest in peace

Very sad to hear this..his patience and forebearance in helping people
    set a fine standard.
    Last edited by robagen; 08-30-2004 at 06:43 PM.

I don't know what to say- my eyes are full of tears, and my heart is full of the deepest sadness.

Mike and I shared a lot over the years, and helped each other through some very rough personal troubles in that time. Like others here, I also learned a great deal from Mike when I was new to this site, and it was he who eventually asked me to become a moderator.

I can't possibly sum up how much he helped here and how much he will be missed, but misssed he will be- greatly.

mdwatts

Michael's passing is a true loss. He helped me several times over the past two years as I learned the basics of Linux. I hope that his family and friends understand the great amount of help he gave to others. It is especially impressive in that this help was given to a great many people who were essentially strangers.

Unhappy

I don't think it is often that a person whom most of us never had the opportunity to meet would have touched so many people in such a manner. This speaks volume about his character.

And it's not just that maybe some linux answers will go unanswered, it's the way mdwatts did it that will be missed. I don't recall him ever starting a post for some problem he had. He did what he did because he enjoyed it, he did it well, and he didn't ask for thanks. I guess he was from the time "when men were men and wrote their own device drivers"--old school. He was a class act and you don't see that much now-a-days.

Too bad I never got to buy him that beer I said I would for solving an Nvidia problem years back..
    "You are not beaten until you admit it." --George S. Patton

"Reading and learning, it's what linux users do"
    "Double clicking" doesn't work on Linux

G4L | ZSH - The Z Shell

Apple OS X, FreeBSD, and Smoothwall

Unhappy

My condolences.

Best wishes to his friends and family.
    (c) Schwartz
    ARGENTINA

My condolences to the family.

I'm getting tired of people dieing or getting sick with cancer. I have a grandfather and a close family friend both on the last legs of there existance due to this disease,. I know many scientis are working on cures for cancer, and things like radiation/chemo do help to prolong life and in some cases eliminate it. I don't want to sit around wile this happends but i cannot do anything, i'm and EE, i have no idea how the human body works, or how cancer works, but i wish i knew.

Once again condolances to his family

(i pray this is a well concevied joke)

I would also ask the mods to erase previous post about this subject that were written as jokes, in his honor. God Bless,
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Michael Watts

Like so many others scattered world wide who pass thru your forum for advice and kinship, I knew the signature of md watts only for his sense of humor and sage advise. There were liberal dosages of both.

Never was there an inkling of anything amiss, as he weighed into the forum again and again. The last posting I can recall under his 'byline' was upbeat and useful, as usual.

I would humbly submit that one can add to his list of qualities...seflessness and courage.

Adieu, Mike...

Re: Michael Watts

Originally posted by chzlchp
    Like so many others scattered world wide who pass thru your forum for advice and kinship, I knew the signature of md watts only for his sense of humor and sage advise. There were liberal dosages of both.

Never was there an inkling of anything amiss, as he weighed into the forum again and again. The last posting I can recall under his 'byline' was upbeat and useful, as usual.

I would humbly submit that one can add to his list of qualities...seflessness and courage.

Adieu, Mike...
    Your kind words are greatly appreciated. Just so we'll keep everything in one spot, I'm going to merge this thread with the main thread at the top.

After all, that is what Mike would do...

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Originally posted by demian31415
    I know Mike from the LNO days. I had my account deleted but had to re-register to add my thoughts here.

Mike,

I told you this before in private but here it is for the world to hear: I always admired your devotion to the things that mattered to you. All the more so when you told me you were sick. You have been a true inspiration to me and I can only begin to understand how much you moved the people who were entitled to have known you in person. You were a great teacher and a wonderful person. I will always have a place in my heart for you. Mike, I will never forget you.

Goodbye,
    Ben
    Ben,

I remember you somewhat from the LNO days. It's good to see you back, if not just to pay your respects. We here at JustLinux appreciate your sentiments.

Originally posted by thaddaeus
    (i pray this is a well concevied joke)
    I wish more than anything that it were a joke, but this is no hoax. Mike's death has been confirmed; this is real.