mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away - Page 9

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: mdwatts - Mike Watts has passed away

Very sorry to hear of this.

I think a nice way to pay tribute to MDWatts would be to make a 'library' of Answers that he provided. I personally have several of the answers he gave me bookmarked, and have referred back to them again and again.

My sympathy goes out to Mike's family and freinds.

--Robin

Like many others before me - I am stunned to hear of the news. I often took pride in knowing that mdwatts was a fellow Canadian.......

In mdwatts case - death slowly but surely caught up to him, but any one of us that use this forum could die tomorrow instantly......we never know when our time on this earth will come to an end....

So ask yourself this question, "If I did die tomorrow, where would my eternal destination be? - Heaven or Hell?"

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/welcome.shtml

My condolences to Mike's family.
    Linux? What's that?

bye mike, a member who truly touched everyone.
    {._.}
    /(0)\
    () ()
    http://viperlin.net
    #justlinux on irc.freenode.net , your country needs you.

Originally posted by Dutch Mafia-boy.
    Like many others before me - I am stunned to hear of the news. I often took pride in knowing that mdwatts was a fellow Canadian.......
    Canada will miss him

When/Where is his funeral/wake?? I want to pay my last respects in person if at all possible
    Last edited by Cerf; 09-02-2004 at 09:49 AM.
    :wq

I just did a quick search to see if I received any replies from mdwatts to my questions, and oddly, I didn't find any. But part of that reason is because of mdwatts. I always try to search as much as possible before posting a question of my own, which is why I didn't have to do it much. Mike's montra of SEARCH FIRST was sage advise. Even though I'm pretty sure he didn't answer my questions directly, I'm sure I learned more from him than anyone else on this site, just by reading his previous posts.

You will be missed, mdwatts. I pray that we can live up to the example you've set here at JL.
    "We're on a mission from God"
    --Elwood Blues

Registered Linux User #296184
    Get Counted. http://counter.li.org

Sorry for joking, Mike. Im gonna miss you man. Without you, I probably would have never kept with Linux at the pace or with the determination I did.

I will be sure to give everyone a big ol "RTFM, and then Google, damn it!" for you, pal.
    Last edited by timothykaine; 09-02-2004 at 10:00 PM.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

I wish I had known Mike better. I definitely didn't know him as well as some other people on this forum, but I was around in the LNO days and he has answered many of my questions since then. Mike had a kind soul and genuinely cared about helping people. This thread is testament to the hundreds (maybe thousands) of lives that Mike touched through simple words on a computer screen.

I have made my own small tribute to Mike's memory:

Google Search: mdwatts

He would have wanted it this way.
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

This is terrible news. He will be truly missed.

My sincere condolences.

Very sad news and a tremendous loss to the community. I will miss mdwatts; he frequently helped me in this forum. My sincerest condolences to his family. He had mentioned in a thread last year about being ill and in the hospital. To think that he could be so ill and still do all that work. Ordinary people might have just given up.

Thanks for notifying us, Wasylk.

This is truly awful news.
    He'll be missed on the 'net - and not just here on LNO/JL. The news of his death has been announced on others forums as well, like LJR, CoderForums, ICalledIt, and probably others. This clearly shows how appreciated he was in the GNU/Linux community.

Brian - he was the first Grand Master of LNO/JL, maybe, out of respect for him and his work, he could be the last one, too?

I'll miss him dearly. I'll remember him for all the work he did on LNO, but mostly I'll remember him for all the fun I had with him.
    DMR & Sarah - remember the wombat & beaver topics? I was actually laughing out loud in front of my PC when I read those posts. Remember the 'every time you masturbate, god kills a kitten'-thread? And the numerous discussions about cookies?
    Those moments are the ones I remember best from the numerous times I had fun with him.

He was an awesome guy. I'll miss him.

edit: typo
    Last edited by Ludootje; 10-04-2004 at 02:16 PM.
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Write for the LNO magazine!
    Catalogued Collection of Annotated Examples - CodeExamples.org
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - definitely read this

Unhappy

I'm like so late at this. This really bites. mdwatts was a tremendous helper. I thank him for his help. Always someone good has to suffer...damn.

R.I.P mdwatts

I must admit I'm one of those JL members who asks a lot more questions than I answer, and of the 60 threads I've started I can probably count on one hand the number which didn't get a response from mdwatts. Consequently I was delighted when he was made 'Grand Master', and am now am very sad to hear of his death. I echo the sentiments of others in this thread who said that but for him they would have probably given up on Linux. My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace mdwatts. We appreciate your effort.

I was helped by Miek a few times. He was a very knowledgable and helpful person. He will be missed by his real family as well as those of us here.
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

Originally posted by Ludootje
    DMR & Sarah - remember the wombat & beaver topics? I was actually laughing out loud in front of my PC when I read those posts. Remember the 'every time you masturbate, god kills a kitten'-thread? And the numerous dicussions about cookies?
    Those moments are the ones I remember best from the numerous times I had fun with him.
    Yeah, I remember those (and miss them). I almost forgot about Sarah; she and Mike and I used to jab each other endlessly (all in fun of course).

As far as the cookie threads go, I guess I should put this up here one last time; the file is named CookieEatsWatts.jpg, and it was one of my "Oh yeah, well take this!" responses to him in the LNO Cookie Wars: