The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

Started a new Window Manager / Destop Environment Rant thread.

The old one is now locked; you can get to it by clicking here.

WooHoo! First Post.

XFce
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

For me, I just want to tell gnome coders that currently the version of gnome I know has its own way of doing things -- Nothing is similar to apple mac nor windows! I mean it create shortcuts differently, has its taskbar work differently....

Thus, a newbie friendly window manager would be KDE, which is capable of doing things very similar to other systems.

I recommend KDE for newbies and Gnome for more experienced users as Gnome has less "nonsense", as others would say. Both are equally nice but I am too familiar with the Windoze format for the moment and have developed habits on it that I am trying hard to unlearn.

http://www.kde.org/

http://www.gnome.org
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Ion or Ratpoison :-)

Simple and keyboard-oriented. If you really need eye candy, I guess you can throw in .jpg's or .png's as backgrounds for your aterm. Every app. opens to max. window size and you just flick between workspaces or split the screen horizontally or vertically when you're feeling super-whiz-bang.

If you're going to try Ion, d/l the old stable version from 2002. It doesn't require the Lua scripting language and has been thoroughly tested. All you need to learn is approximately 5 key combinations and you have the world at your keyboard.

Ratpoison is as good or better.

My 1.89 cents.
    I miss MDWatts. He was knowledgeable, thoughtful, and genuinely enjoyed sharing his talents with others.

Does anyone here just use X? No window manager, just X and maybe some shell scripts to start up commonly used apps.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE!

I just started to do some serious programming and have been really impressed by QT Designer and Kdevelop.

I tried Gnome but it didnt really appeal to me. I consider myself a power user and gnome's way of over simplifing everything is a pain in the @$$. Plus I hate using GTK and Glade.

Isaac,

That's a good question. I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think it's possible. I believe you need some kind of window manager to work with X to act as an interpreter and define the size and position of frames/windows, and other tasks like choosing between different workspaces and terminals, foreground and background, etc.

Floog

Originally posted by IsaacKuo
    Does anyone here just use X? No window manager, just X and maybe some shell scripts to start up commonly used apps.
    I miss MDWatts. He was knowledgeable, thoughtful, and genuinely enjoyed sharing his talents with others.

w00t I mean umm..

Pekwm.. although I'll give gnome 2.6 a try soon.
    fluxbox-dev has also improved a lot so I guess thats on a gotta try again list too.

Openbox3 --- all u need.

PS: fsck i hate these types of threads

trc is offline master of the arcane arts
    E

its all you really need...
    slacker

I use KDE

Yes, it eats more memory than I would like, and has some "nonsense," like XiaoKJ mentioned. However, I like the way the panel/kicker works, and how pretty the konsole looks...and the taskbar grouping.

Yes, I know gnome supports all this as well, but it has always seemed a tad "cramped." I don't know how to explain it.

Okay, I'll admit it. It's because of Mosfet's Liquid. I'm serious. I have yet to find a gtk2 theme that looks good enough to replace it.

For older machines, I use a scaled down version of xfce... xftaskbar (with fixed autohiding), xfdesktop, xfce-session...... no panel.

For even older caliber workhorses, I'll use icewm. The reason I take xfce over icewm is that a) icewm's double-decker taskbar doesn't show tasks on both levels, and b) gtk2 looks cool.

~psi42

XFce. I'd post more, but I gotta get back to getting a lot done, what with my DE not getting in the way :-)

Lightbulb

GNOME
    Desktop: Slackware 12, linux-2.6.23, GNOME;
    Firewall: OpenBSD
    Cube anyone?
    Deliantra: an amazing mmo, realtime nethack.
    Don't make the same mistakes I did as a new user: Read the Posting Guidelines or face being banned! [/color]

/dev/tty0

or if i'm working on my sun box:

/dev/serial

TALK ABOUT EYE_CANDY!
    DISCLAIMER: sometimes i use a text browser, so I may not see any emoticons directed at me.

Brandon Niemczyk <bniemczyk@snprogramming.com>
    http://bniemczyk.is-a-geek.com