The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here) - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

I'd have to second ion...awesome wm. I went from kde (when I was a newbie), to flux, to gnome, to xfce, and now I use ion all the time. Xfce is also nice if you need more eye candy but don't want gnome or kde.

fvwm.

configurability? what? .. yeah.

total control.

www.fvwm.org
    -merc
    my site: http://escalated.net

Fluxbox........FAST
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I went from KDE to blackbox, to fluxbox. I was with Fluxbox for a long time but switched to Xfce since v4 came out, mainly because I wanted something reasonably pretty on the eyes to show to my Windows friends that was still able to run quickly on my then PII 300 system.

Xfce is, IMHO, the perfect blend of eye candy and speed.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

Originally posted by mrBen
    I went from KDE to blackbox, to fluxbox. I was with Fluxbox for a long time but switched to Xfce since v4 came out, mainly because I wanted something reasonably pretty on the eyes to show to my Windows friends that was still able to run quickly on my then PII 300 system.

Xfce is, IMHO, the perfect blend of eye candy and speed.
    When I want that, I use Enlightenment myself

I tend to be a chronic openbox user...even when I decide to use gnome, I usually use openbox instead of metacity
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

I've been using sawfish (previously known as sawmill) for the longest time and have just stuck with it... maybe it's because I created a theme for it that doesn't exist for any other WM... I like to keep it simple, so I use only sawfish + gnome panel across the top (gnome 1.4... yeah I know I know, hey I'm used to it).

I have however, found some time to install and play w/ KDE on my laptop... I must say that I'm very impressed with the integrated feel of the WM/Panels/Applets/Configuration/Apps.

I also love the ease of use, common sense, completeness, and overall very slick look.

Can it be true... a long time gnome user... falling in love with KDE???????
    "Never ask the barber if you need a haircut."

Things could be worse...

YnJldHRfYnVydG9uXzgyQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ== (hidemyemail.net)

Use the MUTT Mailreader!

Openbox... it's smooth.
    "I know where you're from but where do you belong?"

Originally posted by bburton
    I've been using sawfish (previously known as sawmill) for the longest time and have just stuck with it... maybe it's because I created a theme for it that doesn't exist for any other WM... I like to keep it simple, so I use only sawfish + gnome panel across the top (gnome 1.4... yeah I know I know, hey I'm used to it).

I have however, found some time to install and play w/ KDE on my laptop... I must say that I'm very impressed with the integrated feel of the WM/Panels/Applets/Configuration/Apps.

I also love the ease of use, common sense, completeness, and overall very slick look.

Can it be true... a long time gnome user... falling in love with KDE???????
    Sawfish! Theres one I haven't used in a while! I love the port of the theme 'Cyrus'.

I tried it out independantly and loved how it looked, especially with the gtk2 menu....However the lisp menu configuration detered me from using it.

I remember when I started out with linux, back on mandrake, though...Sawfish was gnome 1.4's WM(so its only fitting that's the version of gnome-panel you use )

/home/earth/usa/south-carolina/charleston
    My first Linux experience, 5 months ago, was with RH9 using Gnome. Upgraded to FC1 and started using KDE. Both are nice, but bloated. Wanted to get away from that; they were reminding me too much of Winders.

Have a few interfaces loaded in and I've experimented with all of them, but I keep going back to Fluxbox. It runs blue blazes around KDE, and it ain't hard to customize the menus.

Gonna Linuxize my other 'puter (old Gateway Astro, 64M, currently running Win98SE), and Fluxbox is going on that one too.

It's interesting reading about the different window managers that are out there, but I'm wondering just how big the difference between all the different wms are, and what specific differences would lead a person to choose one wm over another. How many different ways of implementing a panel/start-menu/taskbar etc. can there be?

I run KDE as the default on my debian system because I like the eye candy(am using the ActiveHeart style), I like many of the KDE applications available(esp. Konqueror), and the way those apps smoothly integrate. The one thing I dislike is that it's resource-hungry. For when I don't feel the need to load up the whole KDE environment, I use Windowmaker. I use that over others because it moves away from the MS-style "taskbar/panel" model. Menus are accessed by clicking on the desktop itself, and the dock and clipboard provide much of the functionality that is provided by a panel/taskbar function in other wms. The only thing I haven't found is a way to easily switch between multiple windows that feels comfortable to me.

zeddity:

Originally posted by JohnT
    Fluxbox........FAST
    I'd have to agree...
    Plus it's S-I-M-P-L-E and NO ICONS!

As for menus- a right click on the desktop. There is a "panel", though you don't use it much- there's no menu on it- and if you want to switch desktops, you can roll the mouse wheel or just hold onto a window that you move off screen-
    this baby flies!!

Last edited by Rinias; 07-12-2004 at 02:14 AM.
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

Any QT-based wm not KDE?

It seems that GTK takes the lead, and I don't quite like GTK, and I need to use K3b....
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Originally posted by XiaoKJ
    Any QT-based wm not KDE?

It seems that GTK takes the lead, and I don't quite like GTK, and I need to use K3b....
    just because a wm uses gtk doesn't mean you cant use qt apps...you just need to have qt installed...

I know, and I run k3b in xfce and gnome...

but I don't like the idea that I have to install both gtk and qt to use 1 wm
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

then use one of the *boxen or another wm that doesn't make use of gtk.