The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here) - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

Originally posted by zeddity
    It's interesting reading about the different window managers that are out there, but I'm wondering just how big the difference between all the different wms are, and what specific differences would lead a person to choose one wm over another. How many different ways of implementing a panel/start-menu/taskbar etc. can there be?
    KDE - Intergrated applications, similar to Windows, bloated & eye-candy

Gnome - Similar to KDE although it's does it's own thing, it doesn't feel like a copy of OS X or Windows.

Open/Flux/Blackbox - Click-based Menu. Fast & smooth

XFCE - The largest of the light Window Managers.

Ion & Ratposion - Keyboard based WM

Enlightenment - The ultimate in configurabilty
    "I know where you're from but where do you belong?"

thats what I'm asking for!
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

enlightenment, just because it is fast, customizable, pretty, and fast. together with efl it makes a killer desktop. kde is too bloated, even compared to windows. gnome is nice, but it's a DE, and that's too big for my taste. And i don't like boxes, except the original and best, blackbox

Originally posted by Darkbolt
    then use one of the *boxen or another wm that doesn't make use of gtk.
    PEKWM....
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Fluxbox.

Simplicity is best, and flux offers that.
    Linux User #293360

enlightenment is on gtk, and pekwm and fluxbox don't use a dm, and to tell you I want to use kdm too

Originally posted by XiaoKJ
    enlightenment is on gtk, and pekwm and fluxbox don't use a dm, and to tell you I want to use kdm too
    Enlightenment does NOT use gtk.

and just because kdm doesn't come with entries for fluxbox and pekwm doesn't mean that you cant use it, it means that you need to make entires...
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

I've been known to use PekWM, FVWM, or KDE. I'm using KDE 3.2.2 right now and it's much better than older versions. I installed KDE 3.3-beta1 last night, and the speed improvement is quite drastic, looking forward to the final release.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

diminishing.org - Screenshots and other random stuff.

KDE is starting to get faster, and GNOME is starting to get slower (though not by much). I like Qt's redrawing better than GTK's. It's smoother. Also, KDE isn't going for any particular look 'n' feel- anyone who takes a glance at the Control Center will see this. I've got mine layed out so it looks something like MacOS X, but with a theme that's fairly unique to KDE. I'm not even using anything that's not in a vanilla install of KDE (I do have the Baghira theme installed, but I decided that I don't like that particular facet of how MacOS X looks, given the choice- and I've got a Mac that I like just fine, running OS X).

KDE has a default setup that's supposed to be comfortable for people who are more used to other platforms, but it also lends itself to customizers. This is good for the LiteStep / TweakUI lovers from Windows. It's also good if you want to set up a completely unique GUI look for, say, a kiosk at the mall, or a tradeshow booth.

GNOME, on the other hand, tries to just choose good defaults, so that there's no "hand holding" by going out of the way to deliver a familiar look, but at the same time, the whole thing's sensible enough to where you don't NEED to tweak the look 'n' feel out of whack.

Personally, I like both approaches, but I'd like if I didn't have to use 2 GUI toolkits. Oh well, such is the burden of a platform of choice.

If enlightenment doesn't use gtk, explain this:

Code:
    [root@{removed} /]# pacman -S enlightenment

Targets: glib-1.2.10-4 gtk-1.2.10-4 libungif-4.1.0-2 imlib-1.9.14-4 fnlib-0.5-3 audiofile-0.2.6-1 esd-0.2.34-1 enlightenment-0.16.6-2
    And FYI, I use kdm instead of gdm cos I know sometimes gdm don't have entries other than gnome, while kdm has all the other entries. I meant that pekwm, blackbox and the likes don't even have any gtk or qt dependancies. not that I don't like them, but I still can't get used to clicking on the background to start apps. if I install qt and kdm only to find qt used by only k3b and kdm, I don't think its worthwhile.

Ohh, I know the existance of command-line and gtk-based cd burner apps, but I don't have the time to learn new stuff. I will try to get used to less-resource-hog wms, as of the time of writing I'm using xfce4. Sometimes I get picky for eye-candy

I've gotta say, for being so light, XFce4 is a beautiful WM / DE (it kind of rides the fence between the two definitions, seeing as it does provide limited features that are supposedly what make a DE higher than a WM).

Pekwm (when I feel super-minimalist)

ROX (Not sure... just like the way it works)

Sometimes GNOME
    Ubuntu

Registered Linux User #313600

Originally posted by XiaoKJ
    If enlightenment doesn't use gtk, explain this:

Code:
    [root@{removed} /]# pacman -S enlightenment

Targets: glib-1.2.10-4 gtk-1.2.10-4 libungif-4.1.0-2 imlib-1.9.14-4 fnlib-0.5-3 audiofile-0.2.6-1 esd-0.2.34-1 enlightenment-0.16.6-2
    And FYI, I use kdm instead of gdm cos I know sometimes gdm don't have entries other than gnome, while kdm has all the other entries. I meant that pekwm, blackbox and the likes don't even have any gtk or qt dependancies. not that I don't like them, but I still can't get used to clicking on the background to start apps. if I install qt and kdm only to find qt used by only k3b and kdm, I don't think its worthwhile.

Ohh, I know the existance of command-line and gtk-based cd burner apps, but I don't have the time to learn new stuff. I will try to get used to less-resource-hog wms, as of the time of writing I'm using xfce4. Sometimes I get picky for eye-candy
    first off, what exactly is pacman(other than a game that plants subliminal messages in kids )?

Second off, I'm assuming that pacman lists the dependencies for the specified package?...From the looks of it I'd say imlib makes use of it...but take a look at E sometime, it has its own widgets.
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

Question KDE vs. Gnome

I'm trying to decided which gui to go with -- KDE or gnome. I've been using kde, but am considering a switch.

I'm looking for your opinions, along with some pros and cons for each.

Thanks for your help.

It would be easier, for you to just try Gnome, and see if you like it. Gnome and KDE and both along the same lines, some people find Gnome slightly less bloated. But I like both, I'm using KDE at the moment and I was using Gnome last week.

Use both and find out for yourself
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)