The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here) - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

This is not the first KDE vs GNOME thread.. take a look at these.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

try them both yourself and make up your own mind - it is entirely a personal preference thing.

Grab a copy of one of the Gnome-based livecds (Ubuntu Live is probably a good choice - very up-to-date Gnome-wise) and give it a trial run.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

I do not see Kde or Gnome as antagonistic products.
    I usually work on Kde, but have always Gnome, Blackbox Enlightenment and IceWM (at least tham) working.

Kde 3.3.1 is an absolute beauty and Gnome 2.6 is great.

In fact I usually bring up Kde and run Gnome apps which are very fast (Gftp, Abiword, Gnumeric, Xcdroast etc. etc.).

If I remember well, these products are cooperating in lower level to provide full intergration with each other.

Think of it. GnomeICU, A Gnome-GTK project can nest in the KDE Traybar!

So, instead of spending time for comparison, let's be happy that we have 2 full Desktops, along with applications, in our Linux boxes, where other users have only one.
    http://users.hol.gr/~micro
    Visit my GNU/Linux and Music pages!
    Update your browser's cache:
    Hit refresh inside the updated pages.

I use IceWM on my 200mhz K6, my PIII-550 and my Athlon-1533. Works great on all of them. I COULD run KDE on my faster machines, and I used to, but I can't be bothered with keeping a clean desktop, also I don't use half the crap KDE loads. I love launching apps with the meta key, no more minimizing and fumbling with desktop icons. Plus it's stupid fast

I use Ice WM, because I can access all of my gnome or kde apps from the same menu. It is really fast on my system & can use the keyboard for almost everything - I use my F keys to open up my commonly used apps & even the full menu can be brought up with the windows keys. Don't need a multimedia keyboard after writing a few bash scripts

edit: Now if I could just find a keyboard that I like with more than 12 F keys & a penguin instead of the windows keys
    Last edited by bones996; 12-12-2004 at 11:04 PM.

I am confused about IceWM. It is a Window Manager (and a fine one) indeed, but seems to have Desktop capabilities. How can I include objects (icons) inside the desktop and remember the setting when restarting it?
    http://users.hol.gr/~micro
    Visit my GNU/Linux and Music pages!
    Update your browser's cache:
    Hit refresh inside the updated pages.

Ice WM is a Window Manager.

I think there is a setting's file in ~. try searching for hidden files
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

I don't use icons on my desktop, but the manual page at icewm.org explains how to use them if you like. Rather than icons I just mapped my F keys for some programs - email, internet, etc.

Enlightenment 0.16.7 and if I had the nerve I'd download Enlightenment 0.17.

If naked pictures of Enlightenment are ever published in Penthouse XFce4 would take the crown.

Update......

I just built xfce 4.2 under slackware and it is nice...

is no one nostalgic about the period where the combination gnome/enlightenment worked like a charm?
    it's almost impossible to get it to work with gnome now, and it wouldn't look as great as it was.

have anyone gotten a way to revive these old wonderful times??

Mr. Peabody might let you use is Wayback Machine.

Originally posted by Loki3
    KDE - Intergrated applications, similar to Windows, bloated & eye-candy

<SNIP>

Enlightenment - The ultimate in configurabilty
    E may not be bloated, but it's certainly eye candy. It burned my retinas. Couldn't remove it fast enough.

To each his own though.

- T.

Originally posted by XiaoKJ
    If enlightenment doesn't use gtk, explain this:

Code:
    [root@{removed} /]# pacman -S enlightenment

Targets: glib-1.2.10-4 gtk-1.2.10-4 libungif-4.1.0-2 imlib-1.9.14-4 fnlib-0.5-3 audiofile-0.2.6-1 esd-0.2.34-1 enlightenment-0.16.6-2
    And FYI, I use kdm instead of gdm cos I know sometimes gdm don't have entries other than gnome, while kdm has all the other entries. I meant that pekwm, blackbox and the likes don't even have any gtk or qt dependancies. not that I don't like them, but I still can't get used to clicking on the background to start apps. if I install qt and kdm only to find qt used by only k3b and kdm, I don't think its worthwhile.

Ohh, I know the existance of command-line and gtk-based cd burner apps, but I don't have the time to learn new stuff. I will try to get used to less-resource-hog wms, as of the time of writing I'm using xfce4. Sometimes I get picky for eye-candy
    Originally posted by enlightenment.org
    Code:
    DR16.6 and earlier dependencies: 
    IMLIB v1.9.14 
    libTIFF 3.5.5
    libPNG 1.0.8
    Zlib 1.1.3
    libJPEG 6b
    FNLIB 0.5 (or greater)
    FreeType 1.3.1 (or greater)

DR16.7 dependencies [Note: DR16.7 can also use the old dependencies if these are not available]: 
    Imlib2 v1.1.1 (or greater) 
    libPNG 1.0.8(or greater)
    Zlib 1.1.3 (or greater)
    libJPEG 6b (or greater)
    FreeType2 2.1.6 (or greater)
    E doesn't use gtk. It has it's own integrated widgets, and E17 has it's own widget library (similar to qt and gtk)

I guess the guys at archlinux just don't know how to link executables, and prefer to link them to all the available libs?!?