The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here) - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

xfce4. I do like 4.2 which is in testing. Worth an examination I'd say.
    The Swain

dswain

I like...
    Gnome
    KDE
    enlightenment (and DR17 looks very cool)
    Xfce4
    Excited for Xfce4.2, which should be release VERY soon

Currently, I use, e, xfce, and KDE (three different computers running X).

Originally posted by zeddity
    It's interesting reading about the different window managers that are out there, but I'm wondering just how big the difference between all the different wms are, and what specific differences would lead a person to choose one wm over another. How many different ways of implementing a panel/start-menu/taskbar etc. can there be?
    There's a few categories:
    Full DE's: Gnome, KDE
    Almost DE's: Xfce4 (it lacks desktop icons), IceWM
    lite window managers: fluxbox, blackbox, openbox, wm, etc.
    Enlightenment:Enlightenment - it's really it's own thing, it tends to break rules. You'll notice it can't be used as a window manager for gnome.

I think that about covers them all. They actually are a bit different. Gnome and KDE are more Windows/Macesque. Xfce is a CDE copy, with a lot more features. IceWM is basically windows95, frozen forever in time. Fluxbox is a slit oriented. Blackbox, openbox, wm, and to some extent e feel more like an old Unix X11 environment (whatever they called it, I've only used Digital Unix).

I like Openbox and GNUstep (WindowMaker), GNOME is good, but KDE is the King of desktops to me, my opinion seems to change when I comes to WMs/DEs, but KDE will always have a place on my HD.
    Registered Linux User #365191

I like Gnome, but with KDM. GDM sucks. Whenever I install Sarge, first thing I do is install KDM.

FLUXBOX = the only solution for me.

I am using KDE on my suse install but I usually only use gnome on other linux boxes I own.

I been playing with enlightenment, It possible that i may really like it.
    Powered by Fedora Core

Blackbox, preferably. Although the system I'm working on right now is a VM running on a Win XP notebook, and I don't dare run XWindows without bogging the whole system down.

When I do run XWindows, its almost always in Blackbox. I even have my home PC running Blackbox to replace the Windows XP interface. You can't even imagine how much that speeds up an XP box until you've tried it.

I much prefer the minimilistic look of BB, the easily configured menu, and above all, the fact that it loads in about 2 seconds. On a slow day.

The best part is- if I find I need KDE for something, I can open an xterm and run "startkde" to get the KDE interface. Then a simple logout from the KDE interface drops me straight back into BB.

XFce 4.2

Just thought I'd chime in again and let anyone who cares know XFce 4.2 is officially released. I like it so far, but then I'm an xfce fan
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

BlackBox for windows... I MUST try that!

I use Kwin and KDE. The only thing I miss so far is the window grouping thing you can use in fluxbox.

" BlackBox for windows... I MUST try that!"

try bblean, is the closest to blackbox, but you can't pick a window and drag it to another desktop.

Rogue River Valley, Southwestern Oregon, USA
    XFce or Enlightenment on my old PPro200 but nothing but the latest KDE /w full eye candy for my Xeon duallie

Cya later,

Steve

Oh man, I almost forgot about this thread! Recovery after like four months man!

I'm migrated over to Gnome 2.14.1 paired along with xgl. Good times, good times.
    The Swain

dswain

I like Fluxbox, but Enlightenment is perty.

KDE is fugly.

/home/earth/usa/south-carolina/charleston
    I usually switch off between xfce4 and fluxbox, and now using xfce4. Both are light (flux even more so) and a breeze to customize. Don't much care for desktop icons, but my screen is prettied up with a .jpg background, the xfce panel (with some cool icons there), and gkrellm. Using Vector SOHO, which comes with KDE, but I don't even use the KDE ... I keep it around for K3B, which is my favorite all-time CD burner.