The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here) - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The MAIN "What Window Mgr. / Desktop Environment?" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

Window Maker

Mostly Gnome. Sometimes Fluxbox/PekWM.

I know it's unrelated, but what 'bout desktop widgets? No one seems to mention them. (I like torsmo )

Does anyone here just use X
    that is impossible you need a window manager.... the most basic wm is twm. which is maybe what your referring to.

i use fluxbox , kde , and gnome all different machines.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

i can never stay with one wm for long, there's too many out there and great things about all of them !

gnome
    as default i usually use gnome. i like the simple setup and i love how nicely the panel extensions/applets integrate into the panel, i think it looks nicer than kde. plus i like nautilus better than konquerer, just a personal preference. the problem is that gnome feels like the slowest of them all.

kde
    i like kde for a full desktop environment. pretty much everything youd want to do is an option somewhere, and there seems to be more kde apps than gnome apps. i only use about 10 of them, but its nice that theyre there.

fluxbox
    once fluxbox is set up, its easily one of my favorites. i dont like the "right-click for menu" thing, but i love how fast and configurable it is. some things i do miss tho are the automounting of dvd disks and usb devices, panel extensions that show cpu/mem/net usage, and nautilus. i realize that theres replacement for panel extensions - superkaramba, gdesklets, adesklets - but most of what i do is in full screen, and i dont see a reason to have anything on the desktop if its going to be covered when i want to see it. i know nautilus can be used in fluxbox with the --no-desktop switch, but it seems so slow since everything else is so fast. i use rox-filer or thunar but theres some things they just dont do.

windowmaker
    ive played around with this a little bit, having a box for everything is kinda weird.

enlightenment
    might be my favorite next to fluxbox, for the same reasons as fluxbox. some of the animations are kinda annoying, but i love eye candy, i cant wait to try out E17 (doesnt work on my system atm).

usually what happens i that i get into a wm for a week or so, then see something else and try that out, and eventually i just pick a wm based on what i want to do when im in linux. unfortunately i still reboot into windows a lot, only because WoW doesnt work as well in linux as it does in windows.

I use Gnome, cause its a lot simpler and minimal. KDE looks very professional but I still find Gnome much easier to use.

"Thread from the Dead"........John Carpenter director
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

XFCE baby.

Quote Originally Posted by carbon-12 View Post
    KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE! KDE!

I just started to do some serious programming and have been really impressed by QT Designer and Kdevelop.

I tried Gnome but it didnt really appeal to me. I consider myself a power user and gnome's way of over simplifing everything is a pain in the @$$. Plus I hate using GTK and Glade.
    Hee. The annoying thing for me about GTK stuff is their use of debug. If you --disable-debug strange things start to happen with apps that rely on glib-2 because they insist on using it with some API functions. It needs to be compiled with at least --enable-debug=minimum.

I mean that sounds a bit erm, um; I don't know what to call it. With KDE you can totally disable debugging and nothing breaks.
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.

WM discussions: the gift that keeps on giving.

Wow, this an old thread. Bet i said something embarrassing somewhere in here. I choose not to dig too deeply.

I just installed Kubuntu with the Trinity Desktop environment, AKA KDE 3.5.12. That's right, brothertuxers, 3.5.12, and KDE 3.5.13 is currently under development!

I'm not a KDE4 hater, though I definitely did hate KDE4 at one time. I've been using KDE4 for a couple of years now, and I have it on another box, mostly because I like having a clock that announces the time every 20 minutes, but KDE3 is back on my main computer. None of that plasma widget stuff makes me more productive, and I just can't stop adjusting the desktop over and over again. It may be my own ADHD that makes me compulsively fiddle with the desktop, but whether it's my fault or the desktop's fault, the desktop is the one that's going to have to go.

When I'm using Trinity, I just forget about the Desktop... and that's good, cause I have a lot of work to do.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 07-16-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Interesting. A year or two I would have been very interested in a KDE 3 revival, although these days I'm pretty happy with 4. It will probably be good for systems that don't have the grunt for all of the KDE 4 effects though.

I never really gave kde4 a chance switching to gnome when 4 came out for kubuntu. Not sure I like Unity either, so I'll stick with gnome.

Oh I remember this thread. I've tried a couple of desktops lately, namely Unity and KDE. Didn't like either one, so I installed Mint with MATE, which is their bastard version of Gnome 2. I'm happy in Gnome 2.

OT: BBJ? You're still alive? :O
    Running:
    Pentium D 3GHz Dual Core - 2GB - Ubuntu 9.04
    PIII 850MHz - 256MB - Ubuntu 8.04 Server
    Registered Linux user number 312827

Yeah, I dabbled with Mint a bit and I'm a much bigger fan of their Gnome setup than most others. Cinnamon looked promising at the time, although I think it was still beta so I wasn't willing to switch to it.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm a control freak so I'll always use KDE. I actually want the thousands of configuration options they give you.

Finally using a laptop now.

I'm tired of messing around with Destop environments, and I've been trying to get back to fluxbox, but it's just not performing like it used to. I can't move the windows easily, or resize them at all. I keep having to maximaze the window like one of those annoying desktops that'[s supposed to double for smartphone use. I'm always going to want to use KDE applications like Dolphin, Konqueror, Kwrite, and Kdenlive, but KDE4 is just too complicated. How many years has it been, and I'm still dicking around with the widgets all day long. These days I'm usually using Gnome 3, almost by default.

Heard they finally finished E17.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 01-30-2013 at 02:59 PM.