I just folded my first protein - Page 12

Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

I added a machine running the FAH client to the background, so that should help. And I just completed a WU that gave me over 200+ points.

I am slowly, but surely climbing up the ranks. I might be able to add another machine for this sometime soon.

And I should finish another WU later this evenning.

I am doing everything in my power to help out the team. (and of course to help the project itself)
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

I dont know how, but Daedrus has come out of no where and has over taken me at slot 17!

I have 15-20 CPU's running as it is, not sure how much more I can bring to bear (bare?) on this.

Although, I have completed more WU's than Daedrus, so I feel a little better.

Once our new VM setup is complete, however, watch what I can do! 10 VM machines with 2, 2.8ghz processors running 24x7? sweeeeeet!

Just got my cluster set up.

Ok, it ain't a cluster, but it's the three PC's I will let run for FAH for now.

Left to right is an old AMD K6-II 350 (I think) W2K machine (frames 96/500), then a P-II 450 W98 machine (frames 104/400), and then the P-II 400 Slackware 10.1 machine (frames - 0, just started). The image on the display is the screensaver on W2K. I have another slackware 10 machine running this, but I will stop using that one after it finishes folding it's current protein. (frames 282/400).

I put them all on this neat little kvm switch from iogear
    No power required. Has audio also.

(I need to get some better photos in the light of day. )
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

And here I thought I was the only one doing folding stuff on a Windows machine... Well I setup my mother's Windows XP machine to fold for me. Would have it up on a different OS if I was not the only Linux user in my family.
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

damn dudes... i just got bumped down to 21st place.. i cant leave my pc on all night... (mom doesnt like it.. even though its in my room)

oh well.. college next sememster, so it'll be on 24/7
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

just started on my XP machine with an AND athalon 2400XP+
    will get it on my kanotix box soon as i can get wine configured so it can start foldin too
    guess ill have to see how many other puters i got layin around the house i can get up to start foldin hehehe

onry

onry, there is no need for wine since there is a linux agent.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...H502-Linux.exe

run it once to configure, then run it like this:

nohup ./FAH502-Linux.exe &

to have it run in background and run even after you log out

I plan to stop using one of my machines for folding.
    My ouput says that it has finished 315 of 400 frames. Once it hits 400, I assume it finishes that fold, or whatever, and then kicks off a new one.

How do I tell it to not start a new one?

And if it does start a new one and I kill the process, and never start it back up, what happens to that fold? I assume (again) that the F@H system will eventualy figure out that nothing is happening to it and it will eventually be reassigned to another donator.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Yes, when a fold isn't finished within 3 weeks, it's being dropped as they need to move on.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Originally posted by Parcival
    Yes, when a fold isn't finished within 3 weeks, it's being dropped as they need to move on.
    Well, I hate to see a 3 week lag there. I didn't see a config file that I could change to tell it to ask me before starting a new one. I searched on:
    find / -name '[Ff][Aa][Hh]*', but no config file.

This is on my slackware machine running the console version. On the windows 2000 version you can click on the icon in the task bar and select "Pause when done."
    Last edited by bs_texas; 03-30-2005 at 11:15 AM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Originally posted by happybunny
    I dont know how, but Daedrus has come out of no where and has over taken me at slot 17!

I have 15-20 CPU's running as it is, not sure how much more I can bring to bear (bare?) on this.

Although, I have completed more WU's than Daedrus, so I feel a little better.

Once our new VM setup is complete, however, watch what I can do! 10 VM machines with 2, 2.8ghz processors running 24x7? sweeeeeet!
    So far all I have been running mostly is a P4 2.8GHz running 24/7. I have tested with two other systems, a pIII 500 and an IMac, but didn't get results worth keeping them up. I just got a 1GHz system up yesterday and I am working on getting a 1.7 up. Give me a break on the # of WU's, I have only been at this a month
    Last edited by Daedrus; 03-30-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by bs_2003
    Well, I hate to see a 3 week lag there. I didn't see a config file that I could change to tell it to ask me before starting a new one. I searched on:
    find / -name '[Ff][Aa][Hh]*', but no config file.

This is on my slackware machine running the console version. On the windows 2000 version you can click on the icon in the task bar and select "Pause when done."
    Try client.cfg in the same directory as the FaH executable. It looks like there might be an option in there that will do what you want. I'm thinking a three week lag isn't really that big a deal though when you're talking about the scale of Folding since they're not likely to run out of work units to assign

Oh, ok, there it is. Thanks! (I should have set this up in a separate folder.)

root@bslack:/home/bs/download# less client.cfg
    [settings]
    username=bs_2003
    team=36480
    asknet=no
    bigpackets=yes
    machineid=1

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080

I assume I need to change asknet to yes which I believe is set with the initial configuration question:
    "Ask before fetching/sending work [no]?"
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Originally posted by bs_2003
    (I should have set this up in a separate folder.)
    I know. I did the same thing.

The asknet option was my guess as well, and if that doesn't work the worst thing that happens is Folding waits three weeks before sending out the work unit again.

Originally posted by Parcival
    With the exception of somework units that are 'deadlineless', correct?
    :wq