I just folded my first protein - Page 13

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

Are there any limits to how long my machine can take to finish a work unit (WU)?

Yes. Depending on the work unit, unfinished work units for most projects "expire" and are reassigned to new machines. Since new WUs are generated by finishing old ones, we must keep things moving along by expiring units. As we move to longer WUs we will extend this time as needed. Expirations vary on the order of a week to a few weeks, depending on the nature of the WU. You will get stats credit for all units that you complete, even if they have expired, but they will not be as useful scientifically.

Oh, seems like I mistook "few weeks" as "three weeks" when I recalled the FAQ. Obviously my phonological loop tricked me.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Allright! I just folded MY first protein... finally! I kept having to start over because I was reformating my hd to migrate to Fedora, plus there was some sort of error that made me start over once. Finally, I'm up there on the scoreboard!

Woo Hoo... on the justlinux team list now.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Hope ya don't mind, I joined the team with my WinXP box, (for now) and will try to download and install on Slackware box in near future. Estimater first WUU to finish on the 5th. Now I generally leave my pc running all the time, (reboot about once a week) so what issues will that cause? if any. I think if I read right,a reboot will just re-start the work unit? or once I restart F@H that is correct? OH well, it's running, another pc to join the cause etc.

AMD 64 3200+
    1GB ram
    cable modem etc.

I think that if you go through this whole thread, you'll see that there are several people using Windows boxes. I have a Linux drive and a Windows drive-- and an FAH client installed on both.

Originally posted by Bubba56
    Hope ya don't mind, I joined the team with my WinXP box, (for now) and will try to download and install on Slackware box in near future. Estimater first WUU to finish on the 5th. Now I generally leave my pc running all the time, (reboot about once a week) so what issues will that cause? if any. I think if I read right,a reboot will just re-start the work unit? or once I restart F@H that is correct? OH well, it's running, another pc to join the cause etc.

AMD 64 3200+
    1GB ram
    cable modem etc.
    When you reboot, unless you have the command to start FAH in your startup scripts, it will not star on it's own. If it is started at bootup or at a later time by you it will continue working on the work unit.
    :wq

Originally posted by blackbelt_jones
    I think that if you go through this whole thread, you'll see that there are several people using Windows boxes. I have a Linux drive and a Windows drive-- and an FAH client installed on both.
    Do you have the windows FAH and the Linux FAH working on the same work unit?
    :wq

I just started running F@H on my athlon 2600 and I will be adding it to my moms computer 600mhz p3.

I was reading a little about the folding at home and I have a thought...smell that?

If this is all to figure out the who, what, where, when, and why of proteins then wouldn't it be possible that using what we find out about protien folding that we could literally turn bodies into walking/sitting/killing computers. If you can control how it works you can control what it does. It seems to me that protiens do EVERYTHING from changing things in your memory to making you thirsty.

If they do figure out how to manipulate folding then wouln't it be able to be used in the opposite of say, curing alzthimers? Infecting the world with alzthimers and noone would even be able to use a computer or even what a protien is. There would be nothing to protect us anymore, we'd all be stupid, barely able to remember our own names let alone if we have children, brothers, parents.

I am reminded of something soneone once said about humankind.

I think it was nostradomus saying that humankind would be doomed to it's own devices among other things he was called crazy for, like atlantis, which scientist think they have disovered part of underneath the ocean. I forget what documentry it was I saw atlantis in. It was on the discovery channel.

Our devices for folding, once they are discovered, could be our downfall and then nostradomus would be right, the end of the world did start in the new milenium, october 2000. And he's been right about a few things. Not that I believe in those things, but coincidinces do happen.

Here is another though. I seem to remember something else nostradomus said about 2000. 9/11 to be specific. Maybe it was a sign to him to closley time events that he predicted.

I don't know maybe I'm just as crazy as that ol' coot :P

Cheers!
    *gulp*

P.S. I hope to be adding that spare athlon 2200+ as a cluster with this one just for fun :P Just need power, a case and a month to learn OpenMosix. Right now I'm using windows because I gave up on my wireless card working in linux anymore...it used to. Actually...I'm gona start working on that again. Starting with a post and a rummage of old papers.
    Last edited by acid45; 04-01-2005 at 12:12 AM.

OK. Linux machine has it downloaded, AND ... wait for it... INSTALLED holy crap... about the first thing I have actually done solo on a Linux box <insert golf clap here> However.. ya just knew there was a however right..

I am a bad boy and only have root for a user atm. I opened a terminal, got the download going... but after about 1 - 1.5 hours it still says 0 of 1000000.

So.... 1) is the program actually running, there is no graphical representation/movement etc. Machine is a Athlon 1700+ 1 GB ram only running the web browser and talking to you folks on it atm., so is this normal??
    2) do I have to leave the terminal open for it to run or is it a background process of some sort that is just STARTED by the terminal??
    Seeng as how this is a VERY large unit ( I think do anywho) I am turning off cable modem, this does NOT need constant connection to internet I hope?? correct?

Also, I did put it in /usr folder so WHEN i do make a regular user, (soon I promise) I should be able to run it as that user correct?, I did open some kind of file manager or something and changed the rights to R + W for all users so I THINK it should be ok?

Trying to help in my own small way, but unsure of the waters I guess

i got my first fold in today also and wooo hoo im on da board LOL
    onry

So.... 1) is the program actually running, there is no graphical representation/movement etc. Machine is a Athlon 1700+ 1 GB ram only running the web browser and talking to you folks on it atm., so is this normal??
    2) do I have to leave the terminal open for it to run or is it a background process of some sort that is just STARTED by the terminal??
    Seeng as how this is a VERY large unit ( I think do anywho) I am turning off cable modem, this does NOT need constant connection to internet I hope?? correct?

Also, I did put it in /usr folder so WHEN i do make a regular user, (soon I promise) I should be able to run it as that user correct?, I did open some kind of file manager or something and changed the rights to R + W for all users so I THINK it should be ok?

Trying to help in my own small way, but unsure of the waters I guess
    Yeah, you can start it with that same command, but put a & after it, like:
    /usr/foldingathome/FAHorWhatever &

Or you can just do Ctrl z in that same terminal, then type bg to background the process.
    The only time it needs a connection to the web is when it sends its results back and requests new data. And you'll see it jump to 1% soon.

Acid45...this is about determining the rules that nature follows to allow the natural spontaneous folding process. Not some devious plot. Misfolded protiens cause diseases like Mad Cow, etc...so I guess this could help with that too. I hear you about Nostradamos, but I don't think this will be the end of the world..there are too many other likely candidates.
    /me wonders wtf you're smoking...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

AMD 64 3200+
    1GB ram
    cable modem etc.
    i'm on WinXP w/ FAH at the moment, and it will not start at the beginning of the work unit everytime you restart, just the last 'checkpoint' so the most you can lose with a restart is maybe 15 mins worth of work.

FAH start automatically on my box, its an option somewhere.. just put a shortcut to the fah executable in your 'startup' folder in the start menu.
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

Originally posted by acid45
    P.S. I hope to be adding that spare athlon 2200+ as a cluster with this one just for fun :P Just need power, a case and a month to learn OpenMosix. Right now I'm using windows because I gave up on my wireless card working in linux anymore...it used to. Actually...I'm gona start working on that again. Starting with a post and a rummage of old papers.
    That's a little pointless to set up openmosix for folding as openmosix acts like a smp system, and you have to run a seperate copy of FAH for each CPU on an smp, so you'd still have to run two copies of FAH anyway. You can still have fun learning to setup openmosix though.

OK, Thanks for the re-assurance JeFro Just a quick check before heading to work, the Linux box IS moving, it's now at 40000/1000000 so unfortunately the slower pc got the larger WU but if it all helps in the end, thats ok too I guess. Glad to be able to help in some small way. The XP box should be done with it's fold on saturday so I am looking forward to being OFFICIALLY on the team. Well off to earn a buck, later.